Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best charger for model 3 and Chevy volt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 40amp circuit breaker. Looking for one charger that will charge both cars. Anyone try the chargepoint home charger? I’m open to suggestions. Prefer not to use an adapter each time I switch cars

Thanks for the advice.

I'd go with the JuiceBox Pro. It's 40A unlike most other J1772 EVSEs at 32A, has a great mobile and web interface, can handle TOU plans, is portable, and is built like a tank.

I've had one for two years and it has been rock-solid for my Model 3, Nissan Leaf before it, and wife's PHEV Volvo.

Reactions: PSNeo
I'd use the 40a circuit with a HPWC for the Model 3.
No adapter required. Set to Rotary Position 6 which will pull 32a.
This is the fastest safe home charging with a 40a breaker.

The Volt won't use more than 16a, and even that is overkill for night charging. The charger that came with 2016-2018 Volts is very long and will charge at 12a automatically if you supply it with 240v. You make a special 2:1 NEMA 5-15 (normal 120v outlet) outlet that uses Hot 1 and Hot 2 as it's supply. You can still use the outlets for normal 120v devices, but when you put in the 2:1 pigtail, it will charge your Volt overnight at 12a.

No muss, no fuss. Tesla charge from the back of the car, Volts from the front. So you'd sort of want 2 anyways, and you already have a good one for the Volt.

I'd go with the JuiceBox Pro. It's 40A unlike most other J1772 EVSEs at 32A, has a great mobile and web interface, can handle TOU plans, is portable, and is built like a tank.

I've had one for two years and it has been rock-solid for my Model 3, Nissan Leaf before it, and wife's PHEV Volvo.
That juice box looks cool! If I had to do it over....I'd get the juice box. I like that the EVSE will provide stats on how much electricity you are putting into the vehicle.

Reactions: Zaxxon
The Model 3 and Volt use different plugs so one way or another you need an adapter. The Model 3 comes with an adapter so it makes sense to buy a charger that works with the Volt (J1772 plug) and you can use the adapter that comes with the Tesla. This way you don't have to buy a separate one.

The other option is to get an adapter from Tesla to J1772 and use the UMC (charger) that comes with the Model 3. It connects directly with the Model 3 and with the adapter to the Volt.

I recommend Clipper Creek chargers. They are super robust and reliable.

Reactions: Rocky_H
The other option is to get an adapter from Tesla to J1772 and use the UMC (charger) that comes with the Model 3. It connects directly with the Model 3 and with the adapter to the Volt.

Has anyone used the TeslaTap adapter converting from Tesla to J1772? How well does it work? Will it work if having 2 HPWC daisy-chained together (Will the HPWC distribute the power correctly)?

Has anyone used the TeslaTap adapter converting from Tesla to J1772? How well does it work? Will it work if having 2 HPWC daisy-chained together (Will the HPWC distribute the power correctly)?

It works great. Tesla is using the same specs pilot voltage as J1772. In other words they communication between charger and car is the same. Tesla goes a little further with features and safety but I don't know if those are required to negotiate the charge time and power when you have two HPWC working together. It should work just fine as the only difference is the physical connector. The car should be able to communicate with the HPWC just fine through the adapter. Maybe Tony can enlighten us, he made the adapter.

Hi
Has anyone used a Levity 30A to charge the Model 3 and if it will work with the Tesla adaptor that the car comes with?
I pick my car up in a few weeks and the condo building I am in has provided me with the Leviton. I just don't know if the adaptor will do or if I need to buy something else or change it out for the Tesla nema charger

You may not even need to buy a new charging station. The Gen 2 mobile connector included with your Model 3 is probably all you really need. It's capable of 32 amp charging (will you REALLY need 48 amp charging at home?), and with the JDapter Stub/Tesla tap ($239), you could use it to charge your Volt too. Much cheaper to acquire the adapter than buy a brand new EVSE.

I am moving to a new house with a garage soon, so I decided to sell off my Clipper Creek LCS-25 (4.8 kW/20 amp max) and buy a Gen 2 mobile connector. Combined with my Jdapter Stub, I'll be able to have a $300 32 amp capable EVSE installed in my garage that can charge my Bolt at its max charge rate. No other UL-listed station on the market can provide 32 amps for cheaper than $300.

We have the Juicebox Pro as well. It's great.

You'll need to use the J1772 adapter that comes with the car when charging the Tesla but it's a snap (literally).

We get about 10 miles of charge per hour with our Volt (at 13 amps) and about 38 miles of charge per hour with our Model 3 (at 40 amps).

You'll want a 50amp circuit to safely charge at 40amps though. With a 40 amp breaker, you'll be limited to 32 amp charging.

the JDapter Stub/Tesla tap ($239),

I am moving to a new house with a garage soon, so I decided to sell off my Clipper Creek LCS-25 (4.8 kW/20 amp max) and buy a Gen 2 mobile connector. Combined with my Jdapter Stub, I'll be able to have a $300 32 amp capable EVSE installed in my garage that can charge my Bolt at its max charge rate.

Are you saying that you bought a Gen 2 UMC for $61? Or are you saying that the Gen 2 UMC cost $61 more than you could sell your Clipper Creek LCS-25 for?

Are you saying that you bought a Gen 2 UMC for $61? Or are you saying that the Gen 2 UMC cost $61 more than you could sell your Clipper Creek LCS-25 for?

No, the JDapter Stub cost $239 that I bought last year. I just sold my old CC LCS-25 for $200. Will buy a Gen 2 MC for $300 soon. I'll get 40% back from MD soon after I file the paperwork for the MC. So technically, I'm buying a brand new 32 amp charging station for $300-$200 (CC sale) - $140 (MD 40% rebate). So I'm actually making money on this deal, now that I think about it. :p