Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Dash Cams For Your Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi jkhfung,

I installed it myself and the works were indeed not as hard. Because MS is large, it has plenty of room for you to hide the wire. The blackvue 650 includes two cams (front and rear). To put the system in place, I connected:

1. the power source from the 12V plug to the front cam (via the glove box) on the left side of the car
2. the cable cord connecting the front cam and the rear cam hidden via the edge and inside the rubber in contact with the doors on the right side of the car.

I am happy with the installation results. The two cables mentioned above are long enough and make thing easier. Also, not that many tape or sticky mounts are required as the cables fit in well in the gap between the rear mirror and the ceiling as well as inside the rubber. Regarding my own case, I installed the part (1) in above first and it took me about 20 mins. I did the second part few days later and it took me about 45 mins (longer time mainly because I tried different "routes" and checked for the outcomes). One thing I need to draw your attention - if you opt to outsource, don't let the guy connect it directly via the fuse box because it might void your car's warranty.

I am by no mean a handy man but the installation is really not that difficult and I would recommend DIY.

Let me know if you need anything further.

Hi Luckylao, thanks for the encouragement and I think I will give it a try. You mentioned the connection should not be routed through the fuse box, so direct connection to the battery terminals would be your recommendation ? thanks for the guidance.

You welcome. Just plug the power cord (comes with the dash cams) into the 12V socket next to the USB port will do.

Hi Luckylao,

I plan to install the Magic Pro so I can enable the Surveillance function of the BlackVue 650. I was told the power of the 12V socket will get terminated once the car is locked so the purpose of the Magic Pro device will provide continuous flow of power to the dash cam unit. (User may customise the power setting so it will not completely drain the aux battery pack). Is your surveillance function enabled for your unit?

Hi there,

I did not purchase the magic pro exactly because of that. You are right that to enable the surveillance function when no one is in the car, you need to extract power not from the 12V plug but directly from the battery. It may involve connection to the fuse box - an area I dare not touch.

Guys - no need to tap the fuse box, or use switched power plug in the cabin. I've now installed two different dash cams using the OBDII port which provides constant +12v power for my dashcam and also the front camera kit. Both of these draw very little power, so I'm confident that they won't drain the aux battery down unless left unattended for weeks.

See my detailed thread here: Yet another hardwired Dashcam install -- 100% reversible/no splicing/no tapping

I've since removed that dashcam and harness and installed a LUKAS DUO 5900 dashcam using the same method (but without the step-down transformer, since the LUKAS runs on +12v). I simply wired the OBDII port with an inline fuse to a wire that runs up the A pilar, across the headliner to the dashcam. I also installed a simple toggle switch that is tucked up next to the OBDII port, so I can cut the power to the dashcam and the front camera if I'm leaving the car parked for any more than a week or so.

I may be selling everything you see in that thread above, including the dashcam and the full wiring harness since I replaced it with the LUKAS, if anyone is interested in a pre-wired harness and dashcam ready to install.

Link to LUKAS dashcam: LUKAS LK-5900HD DUO Dash Cam 2CH Car Black Box

hi HankLloydRight- read your 10 steps and it is brilliant! Thanks for the advice. So if I have the pre-wired harness, I may chop off the existing 12V power adapter, get it connected to the pre-wired harness and then plug in the ODBII plug on the other end will do, right?

I have a similar device like the magic pro hooked up to my cam. That's why i need to run the wire from the fuse box and battery. Funny thing is that since our car doesn't need a starter to start the engine, the 12v battery output is so flat that the magic pro wont switch back to ignited mode 2 mins after the car has been moving.

hi HankLloydRight- read your 10 steps and it is brilliant! Thanks for the advice. So if I have the pre-wired harness, I may chop off the existing 12V power adapter, get it connected to the pre-wired harness and then plug in the ODBII plug on the other end will do, right?

Thanks!

Yes, that's correct. I cut off the 12V cigarette adapter and connected the power wires to the harness to the OBDII port. Make sure you get the polarities correct!

Hello Hank, I followed your method but stopped at the part of lining up the correct ends of the positive wires with each other on the OBDII port. I believe you cut them at an angle and found the correct side by trial and error. Those wires are very thin.. Any other way to get the right side connected without a meter?

Hello Hank, I followed your method but stopped at the part of lining up the correct ends of the positive wires with each other on the OBDII port. I believe you cut them at an angle and found the correct side by trial and error. Those wires are very thin.. Any other way to get the right side connected without a meter?

Hmm.. I'm not sure what you're asking exactly..but having some sort of continuity meter is essential. A generic volt meter is pretty inexpensive (less than $15US), and it's pretty essential for projects like this.

To do something like this, you really need a meter. It will give you a double-check that everything is as expected.

That said, here's the OBDII pinout:

OBD II diagnostic interface pinout diagram @ pinoutsguide.com

I posted the pin out in my original thread and identified the appropriate pins. The problem is finding which bare leads connect to the +12v pin #16 and the ground pins (4 or 5). Every cable is different, there's no standard for wire color in these cables, and in fact, the first OBD cable I used was just a black ribbon cable with no markings at all for which wire led to which OBD pin. So that's the part I had to do trial-and-error.

This is a great thread and I'm inspired and excited by all the solutions available for dashcams.

BUT it's not what I want for my Tesla. What I want is as follows:

• System embedded deep in the car a la aviation "black box"
• Four cameras, minimum: one mounted forward, one mounted left, one mounted right, one mounted back.
• All mounts seamless and unobtrusive.
• All 4 cameras capable of optionally being always on, 24/7, always recording. But by default, would turn off when car turned off.
• Full 1920x1080p resolution 30fps HD video with GPS data, timestamp data, perhaps other annotation data recorded.
• Multi-terabyte storage (laptop-style mini HD, or solid state) so you basically don't care. This thing is always on, records for days/weeks before recycling.
• Mobile/desktop apps to interact with this system, copy/delete/backup data.
• Minimal power drain on car's battery. Or, system gets its own battery if need be.

My preference would be for Tesla, not a 3rd party, to offer this as a "Video Package" with full factory and service center support. But that's unlikely. Or is it?

I had the Blackvue DR550 installed a couple of months ago! Love it! Power is fed from the glove box light power supply. Records in parking mode for front and rear cameras and resolution is more than acceptable for me. We had a local high end European repair shop do the install, since Tesla Service Centers will not touch it with a 10 ft pole!!

Am deciding between Cowon AW series and Papago! GoSafe WiFi. Both are WiFi ready (for streaming/viewing on your mobile devices). Cowon is better on the form factor but GoSafe has built-in IP cam mode! Anyone had any experiences regarding these 2 brands?

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the Blackvue DR550 installed a couple of months ago! Love it! Power is fed from the glove box light power supply. Records in parking mode for front and rear cameras and resolution is more than acceptable for me. We had a local high end European repair shop do the install, since Tesla Service Centers will not touch it with a 10 ft pole!!

Zroiron, can you take some pics for HK owner as ref?

I have a few units of DR550 on hand and willing to sell to Tesla owner with very attractive price. For HK testla owner who wants to purchase, pls send me pm for price.

I don't own a Tesla and hope the owner can take me for a free ride =)