Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Dash Cams For Your Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
anyone know a a dash cam that I can install that I can view on the internet/app when I am out of state. I want to be able to view the camera feed live if possible. Any thoughts??

I also want one but it seems like you need more of an IP cam more than a dash cam. The problems are, you need data transmission from the cam, you need constant supply of power while your car is off. Although you can remotely start the air con with app, but whether this power can be tapped into is unknown to me. I mean, if the USB can supply some power to the cam even when your car is off then that will be great. But I don't know yet, since I'm still waiting for my car. Currently the best and closet solution is a smartphone as ip cam. See

http://lockyep.blogspot.hk/2014_05_02_archive.html

The problem is, the battery won't last 2 hours.

I got the Garmin cam installed
vyguzuhe.jpg

I had one of these from Taobao, they are so bad that I kept them in the box, never bothered to put it on the car... I just threw it away last week when I was moving...

I now use a Mio MiVue 568, much better video quality both day and night... got it for 1550 HKD without SD card.

Cheers mates!

I want to compile a list of dash cams currently used by Model S owners. Has to be Model S specific because of the length of the cord. Please supply your dash cam with price, features, etc. if possible.

capt666 -- Mio MiVue 568 -- $1,550 -- no SD card
Alipapa -- Garmin -- $???? -- ????

Installed the Blackvue 650 (front and rear cam, connected to the 12V power outlet) for about a week. The cables fit well in model s in terms of length and "hiding". I had concerns on the cable conneting to the rear carmer but it turned on it was long enough and well hidden. Like the wi-fi function which allows me to extract the video into my phone and I can view it on spot. Image is acceptable to me.

The negative is mainly the front cam's visual angle which I think is narrower than Blackvue 550. Also, there may be some echo in the playback if you turn on the mic for audio recording.

Installed the Blackvue 650 (front and rear cam, connected to the 12V power outlet) for about a week. The cables fit well in model s in terms of length and "hiding". I had concerns on the cable conneting to the rear carmer but it turned on it was long enough and well hidden. Like the wi-fi function which allows me to extract the video into my phone and I can view it on spot. Image is acceptable to me.

The negative is mainly the front cam's visual angle which I think is narrower than Blackvue 550. Also, there may be some echo in the playback if you turn on the mic for audio recording.

Thanks luckulao, your suggestion has been added to the first post

Hi Luckylao,

Can you share with us where did you get it installed? Are you happy with the installation job? Would you recommend them to other owners? Thanks.

My friend help me installed the cam. You can get ignition power from the fuse box using or get the constant power from the 12v battery located behind the nose cone.

The wire then run through the driver side fender and get into the cabin from the gap of the driver side door, and got its way to the mirror from the A pillar (he did pop off the cover)

My friend help me installed the cam. You can get ignition power from the fuse box using or get the constant power from the 12v battery located behind the nose cone.

The wire then run through the driver side fender and get into the cabin from the gap of the driver side door, and got its way to the mirror from the A pillar (he did pop off the cover)

Alipapa, Thanks for that. I guess this is something I can do by myself :). Just thought the professional can do a better job than me. Now I need to find a good deal on a Blackvue 650. I guess the usual places are either north point, Mongkok.. Any trust worthy shops that the Tesla owners can recommend ? Thanks.

Sounds complicated

Hi jkhfung,

I installed it myself and the works were indeed not as hard. Because MS is large, it has plenty of room for you to hide the wire. The blackvue 650 includes two cams (front and rear). To put the system in place, I connected:

1. the power source from the 12V plug to the front cam (via the glove box) on the left side of the car
2. the cable cord connecting the front cam and the rear cam hidden via the edge and inside the rubber in contact with the doors on the right side of the car.

I am happy with the installation results. The two cables mentioned above are long enough and make thing easier. Also, not that many tape or sticky mounts are required as the cables fit in well in the gap between the rear mirror and the ceiling as well as inside the rubber. Regarding my own case, I installed the part (1) in above first and it took me about 20 mins. I did the second part few days later and it took me about 45 mins (longer time mainly because I tried different "routes" and checked for the outcomes). One thing I need to draw your attention - if you opt to outsource, don't let the guy connect it directly via the fuse box because it might void your car's warranty.

I am by no mean a handy man but the installation is really not that difficult and I would recommend DIY.

Let me know if you need anything further.

Hi jkhfung,

I installed it myself and the works were indeed not as hard. Because MS is large, it has plenty of room for you to hide the wire. The blackvue 650 includes two cams (front and rear). To put the system in place, I connected:

1. the power source from the 12V plug to the front cam (via the glove box) on the left side of the car
2. the cable cord connecting the front cam and the rear cam hidden via the edge and inside the rubber in contact with the doors on the right side of the car.

I am happy with the installation results. The two cables mentioned above are long enough and make thing easier. Also, not that many tape or sticky mounts are required as the cables fit in well in the gap between the rear mirror and the ceiling as well as inside the rubber. Regarding my own case, I installed the part (1) in above first and it took me about 20 mins. I did the second part few days later and it took me about 45 mins (longer time mainly because I tried different "routes" and checked for the outcomes). One thing I need to draw your attention - if you opt to outsource, don't let the guy connect it directly via the fuse box because it might void your car's warranty.

I am by no mean a handy man but the installation is really not that difficult and I would recommend DIY.

Let me know if you need anything further.

A quick video would be awesome