Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best home charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Keeper Out of curiosity, did you have to pay the full amount with the view of getting reimbursed once the grant information has gone through? Only ask as I've contacted a couple of installers, one of them said I'd need to pay full upfront and claim, the other said I only pay installation and they claim themselves for the cost of the kit.

@Keeper Out of curiosity, did you have to pay the full amount with the view of getting reimbursed once the grant information has gone through? Only ask as I've contacted a couple of installers, one of them said I'd need to pay full upfront and claim, the other said I only pay installation and they claim themselves for the cost of the kit.
My Invoice includes the Government Grant. In my case the installer will claim the Grant. I have to confirm to him asap an official delivery date from Tesla which I am hoping will be within the next 4 months otherwise I must pay the full amount and presumably claim again if its still available (the Grant).

Reactions: Christiez

The installer claims the grant - so anyone asking for money upfront is talking rubbish.

Hi Oddbin
Would you mind sending some pics of the RCBO and how it connects to your mains.
Many Thanks S.

Sorry for the delay. New bit is on the left with the three switches.

Attachments

• 20190823_185014.jpg
    20190823_185014.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 122
Reactions: Sirricardo
The Tesla wall connector isn't smart, but you are more in control of it.

Whilst smart allows it to automatically respond to cheap charge rates (the car has its own timer so can also be made to start at say 12:30am, although only stop at a set state of charge which has +/- benefit), it is also more complicated so smart may fail to operate as you expect or, can be controlled by external parties, such as to turn it off for a period of time when electricity demand is high.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roy W.
Does anyone know if the OLEV grant is available to those who get an EV as a company car? Also, I know that companies can pay for a charger for employees with a company EV, but is the grant applicable in that case?

Does anyone know if the OLEV grant is available to those who get an EV as a company car? Also, I know that companies can pay for a charger for employees with a company EV, but is the grant applicable in that case?

This might help

upload_2019-8-24_11-46-57.png

Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme
Guidance for customers: January 2019

Q6. Who is eligible to claim this grant?

Eligibility is as follows: 
  • Individuals who have taken ownership of a new eligible electric vehicle on or after 1 October 2016 as long as they have not claimed against the previous chargepoint schemes; 
  • Individuals who have become registered keeper of a second-hand electric vehicle on or after 1 October 2016 are entitled to claim the Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme Grant as long as they have not claimed against previous domestic chargepoint schemes; 
  • Individuals who are assigned a company car for at least six months on or after 1 October 2016; 
  • Individuals who lease an eligible vehicle for at least six months on or after 1 October 2016; 
  • Individuals who are named by their employer as the primary user of an eligible electric vehicle for at least six months on or after 1 October 2016. If the named individual changes within six months, a second grant cannot be claimed;
  • Individuals who can prove that they have ordered an eligible electric vehicle and the vehicle will be received on or after 1 October 2016.

If you are unsure if you are eligible, please contact OLEV at [email protected].

Attachments

• zz.PNG
    zz.PNG
    9.7 KB · Views: 91
  • Helpful
Reactions: Roy W.
I'm really torn between the Pod Point and the Rolec. I like that the Rolec is installed by a local electrician who've I had great communication with. I've just got a niggle that the Pod Point is technically a better built unit. I'm happy to wait for installation to make sure I have the best one of the 2. Any thoughts?

I
I'm really torn between the Pod Point and the Rolec. I like that the Rolec is installed by a local electrician who've I had great communication with. I've just got a niggle that the Pod Point is technically a better built unit. I'm happy to wait for installation to make sure I have the best one of the 2. Any thoughts?

I’ve been tossing up between the two... I went Rolec, mainly because it’s smaller and more compact... there is nothing between them really as they both have very similar functionality.

I

I’ve been tossing up between the two... I went Rolec, mainly because it’s smaller and more compact... there is nothing between them really as they both have very similar functionality.
I agree. The Rolec is quite discreet, especially in black and untethered. I’m happy with the looks. Can’t judge the technical side yet but I chose to be “Smart” for future proofing.

I Thanks, and I agree, I think the Rolec looks better. Is it "Smarter"?
It can be. I think that I will be able to set it up with a specific tariff and control it. Not sure yet but it is definitely talking to ev.energy via an app and their tie-up with Rolec. ev.energy are ecotricity who are 100% green electricity. I haven’t switched to them yet or anyone else. I will decide after I have my M3 for a few months.

The Tesla Wall Connector comes with a 7.5m cable. :)

I guess the others are shorter because up to now, the majority of EVs in the UK have had their charge ports at the front!

Also, the gauge of cables were talking about here won’t be cheap. An extra couple of metres of cable would add significantly to the manufacturing cost.

The other option is to get an untethered charger, as you can easily source Type 2 cables that are 10m long.
Now I’ve got my car and used the TWC a couple of times, I can confirm that it charges at 28 miles per hour of charge. So on the Octopus GO tariff with a four-hour off-peak window you can expect to add 112 miles a night.

On a normal Economy 7 tariff you’ll add approximately 196 miles of range.

I’ve already messaged Tesla feedback through the App to say that a charge Stop timer setting would be useful. If you’re on an off-peak tariff I suggest you do the same once you get your car.

And don’t forget, if you want a referral code for Octopus GO, giving us both a £50 account credit, DM me. As it looks like my 5000 free Supercharger miles referral hasn’t worked, I’m hoping to get a few referrals to compensate :(

Hi all,

Just had my Andersen fitted.
Will do a full review of the process at some point later.
Main thing is it doesn't look like a charger and it fits in much better than the 16A Commando plug next to it!

Baldrick
PS glad that people are still liking and using my Chargers Sheet
PPS Delivery of M3 LR FSD Black/Black on Wednesday (fingers very crossed as finance is still being sorted due to admin delays at Tesla)

2019-08-14 19.18.59.jpg