Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best home charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is

This is the same quote I have for a 32amp 7kw charger. It's OLEV grant compatible? I am unsure where the higher price is coming from?

Best

Higher price is the unit price by itself before grants. The quoted prices shown above are the “after OLEV grant” prices for the charger and a basic install. (Usually no more than 10m from consumer unit and will drill through one wall of reasonable thickness - varies per charger but these are roughly the rules). Any more will increase the install price. Some (Rolec) make their chargers available to buy from third parties. Others, like pod point, vertically integrate everything including the install so it’s more difficult to know unit price vs labour.

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W.
The new guidelines about smart connectivity required for the OLEV grant mean that none of the cheaper Rolecs qualify. You’re looking at £598.90 Inc VAT for an untethered unit before install costs. It bonkers really. I ended up going with a Tesla unit as it worked out basically the same cost to get the cheaper Tesla unit and forego the extra cost (and I get the button for the chargeport). I also have a complicated install but even so, the Tesla unit worked out at £460 vs the £702 of the tethered Rolec.

I think you've got your prices wrong... all the Rolec's qualify. It should cost you no more than £400.

I think you've got your prices wrong... all the Rolec's qualify. It should cost you no more than £400.

According to the official list, Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme approved chargepoint model list that’s not accurate. The key here is that after July this year, the cheap ones fell off. To be clear, the prices I quoted were prices off the tethered and non tethered 32A unit itself without installation and without ev grant. With the ev grant and a basic installation, you’re looking at £295 out of pocket.

Attachments

• BAC4E315-29E6-4098-B7C3-3A8A796F35E0.jpeg
    BAC4E315-29E6-4098-B7C3-3A8A796F35E0.jpeg
    234.1 KB · Views: 62
Took the plunge today, with hidden VIN on my order page went ahead and ordered the Pod Point one, based on the look of it, the features and the price - should be £349 for me all in. Took two minutes to fill out the grant forms, next step is 'we'll be in touch'.

Will keep updating this post with progress as it happens. Hoping I get a good installer, fast.........maybe I should mention to them that I'll post my experiences to the TMC forums :)

OK - so I got an email link asking for some photo's of the site, fuse box and electricity meter yesterday afternoon, filled that out at 7pm last night, and just got my appointment for next Saturday for the install. So from pushing the button to order, to confirmation of installation date was less than 24 hours, and then 11 days to wait until installation commences. Also had an email checking if everything was alright and asking if I needed anything else.

So far so good.........

Reactions: Roy W.
@arg

Was wondering if you can help me out with the RCBO for Tesla charger. I've been in touch with the installer to discuss them installing Type A RCD RCBO that does not detect DC faults and today they send me this:

"We believe that the RCBO we've installed you is correct one but if you wish, we can replace it for you with Type A DC sensitive RCBO with no extra charge."

Am I right in understanding that this is an incorrect statement? "Type A DC sensitive RCBO" is what I have right now (i think)

mS8A_SRxioNOJen8wrzZTnoRAEB1neGqSJTWcu07MvYDV31UQ9aMaf7V70LwyIkANY1wiogbAOgzFFi4Ysq5JMlVYWqcaP0yJJKmFq2pGlmOMTM46apSfUxbLGcc8aoZHmD8hLpIC7waB0il2uO0KGqSyROKj_Ph9IiZYtwp1X6ie6b6BWQXR59a-Y2lg1rtcFzMR2sz_m8Oe73rqoa8zYXIbb5EoMC1awzhRE62oQ4_5ENbyUo7CygmH6VpCvtYooDRosW4w1iZcBXxnc4UuC3rks5zMzlzJz4ySWrFwBKJ1Wwl_317PfK8VZ9TbeE_FNlwSUPTWV3IbsWDGcUs_8lUTeRkOZGRGvLtj5U2alpXbwS2BvwKv_oKBHXCkGZ23g6QwVcAlMBwL9WGhLKRKObm5Jck-JgiZhuqshFTk-q7fa0u2Z9eWgGKHDsjVnDWKIrh8bRzYZxbmvbvZmTppcxvku0kEX_fz5c_2KDc6QhdgZPXwywbdoN2EckvoLW7NG0pSaO9NKiGDX-7RcwjZzhkj9UEiCQpSvg3SBw-strbGo3OgqX8T4s1pU17Gy7CR9NHS2Le72sPnYt3qLSHCCywd9Kw-TnYiIGnO4deqKdg5TAUvkQJ0sWDqwGpomue6jHylLE6yMAXUD4HJQ4ozvZyftcUJWPIeSn86r4G2sLlHOwIbXGTEp2f8Rlu9sGzTIO-Hp03Y_7W7MGzb1wzmlcHfxFCnPjU0nG-2qwZupHA8vvKGA=w703-h937-no

Type A DC sensitive RCBO" is what I have right now (i think)

You are quite correct - as shown by the symbol to the right of the test button (rectangle with representations of sinewave and pulses inside it).

To meet current regulations with the Tesla unit (unless Tesla have slipped in an upgrade without telling anybody) the RCD function needs to be either Type B or Type EV. I am not aware of anybody making an RCBO with Type-B for the RCD function, so this would need to be a standalone RCD with an MCB for the overcurrent function.

Reactions: Yev000
Turns out I spoke to soon! They came today and wouldn't install as when I charge the car the cable will cross through a "path" (even though I own the land" and therefore they refused to install... crazy! Now kicked off with them via email as no answer on phone.
When you say a path, are we talking an actual path or a walkway? I mean, my cable when plugged in will cross a route I walk to the rear of the house.

I discovered this UK company by accident and got a local firm to fit it- its small unobtrusive, sits at the side of the house ( outside) and does 7Kw/h- much better than some unsightly great plastic box..
Zappi chargers are smart and meant to be good too- Robert llewelyn did a review on the older models which are considerably better now i gather..
Happy hunting !

That's pretty nice! I have solar panels (4KW split across both sides of the roof) so the ability to only charge the car when there is excess energy being exported to the grid (but with the option to boost if required) appeals to me. Even better is that their "eddi" device could replace my Solar iBoost (immersion tank heater which I guess would be incompatible as both the zappi and it would be measuring exported energy independently) so it can do some heating and charge the car up a bit.

The car charge would probably still need a bit of boosting on the overnight/economy 7 rate but it'd make sure I'm using as much of my generated energy as possible.

That's pretty nice! I have solar panels (4KW split across both sides of the roof) so the ability to only charge the car when there is excess energy being exported to the grid (but with the option to boost if required) appeals to me. Even better is that their "eddi" device could replace my Solar iBoost (immersion tank heater which I guess would be incompatible as both the zappi and it would be measuring exported energy independently) so it can do some heating and charge the car up a bit.

The car charge would probably still need a bit of boosting on the overnight/economy 7 rate but it'd make sure I'm using as much of my generated energy as possible.
Sounds like you have it sussed. Zappi certainly have the reputation for being the most advanced and if their device had been smaller II would have bought it ( My garage is too small to house the car :-( Have you got your Tesla yet?

Hi

I’m looking for some advice on a EV home charger, it needs to be black and tethered and ideally be able to schedule the charge start and finish time from an app and any suggestions for local installers in the Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire region. I do not have or plan to have solar panels installed so compatibility is not a requirement.

So far i have had one quote for 610.00 from EV Charging Solutions for a Zappi V2 in black the price includes the OLEV grant.

Hi

I’m looking for some advice on a EV home charger, it needs to be black and tethered and ideally be able to schedule the charge start and finish time from an app and any suggestions for local installers in the Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire region. I do not have or plan to have solar panels installed so compatibility is not a requirement.

So far i have had one quote for 610.00 from EV Charging Solutions for a Zappi V2 in black the price includes the OLEV grant.
Hi JP
There are quite a few out there, Zappi is certainly the rolls royce, but if you do not have solar panels then you are paying for what you don't need. I know a great guy who has a Tube channel with EV's and he knows loads about home chargers.
His EV channel is Nicolas Raimo
Just drop a note on his latest video and he will get back to you.
He also knows a national fitter who is very good and reasonable rates
Cheers and good luck
Leo

Hi

That doesn't seem a bad price, as the Zappi is one of the more expensive chargers out there.

You might want to also take a look at the smart Pod Point charger, which I think also comes in black.

Dis anyone go for a Rolec Wallpod and what was ur install cost ?

I've gone for the Rolec, hasn't been installed yet but below were the costs;

£295 Wallpod:EV OLEV approved
£66 Earthing rods
£5.20 per meter cable (includes 10m as standard)

Total (subject to cabling) £361 Inc VAT.

I've since gone for tethered and had a colour change so it's going to be more like £460.