TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Best Place to Sell my Model X??

Discussion in 'Model X' started by phuff246, Dec 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. phuff246

phuff246 Member

Hello. I read online that TMC is a great place to possibly sell my Tesla X P100D. Does the TMC community recommend this over AutoTrader, Craigslist, etc? If so, are there certain protocols or locations within the forum I should be listing it? I'd appreciate any/all advice. Thank you.

2. commasign

commasign TeslaAdviceBlog.com

3. HostileHarry

HostileHarry Member

I bought my Model X off someone here on TMC. Flew to Denver and drove it back to Chicago. It was a great transaction and the previous owner knew what was up.

I've sold a few vehicles private sale and I will tell you Autotrader and eBay were the worse. I had the best luck with Car Gurus....

• Helpful x 2
  4. phuff246

phuff246 Member

Wow! What quick/effective replies. Thank you. I'll try both.

5. HostileHarry

HostileHarry Member

Just be prepared for a lot of comments on TMC as people will troll and call you out and/or help prospective buyers point out 'things'. I would suggest not over pricing on TMC.

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 2
  6. phuff246

phuff246 Member

Noted/appreciated. Thank you. (I'll also be listing in AutoTrader et al).

7. HostileHarry

HostileHarry Member

Word of caution on Autotrader. I received multiple weird text messages and calls from scammers. They asked me if I could click on this webpage and run a report similar to a CarFax and stuff. I was very unhappy with the traffic that came my way from Autotrader. I even paid for the premium listing, etc. I called them after 72 hours and requested a full refund because they brought scammers to me.

• Helpful x 1
  8. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

Ditto for me as I'm currently selling a non-Tesla car. I used a Google Voice number as my contact so I could easily screen and block the voice and text (plus reply to text on my PC easily).

• Like x 1
  9. testarossa

testarossa Member

Google voice number is the way to go. Scammers are pretty easy to spot, a little too polite and poor English, and will never talk to you over the phone. You should have a disclaimer that you will not respond to texts only.

• Like x 1
  10. redgt

redgt Member

try vroom, carvana and carmax. you'll get 3 cash offers

• Like x 1
  11. HostileHarry

HostileHarry Member

I did a cash offer for my Qx80 between CarMarx, Carvana, and Kelly Blue Book. KBB instant trade offered me $7500 MORE than both Carmax and Carvana! I was blown away by their offer.

12. Don TLR

Don TLR Active Member

As mentioned above, get a few offers and then post in the FS section to try and get a few more $$ as well as pass along a deal to a fellow member. If it it priced right you shouldn't have any negative comments except maybe a troll. Also take a look at EV-CPO.com to get an idea what Tesla is selling similar optioned cars for. Good luck!

13. Xminus6

Xminus6 Member

I got a good price on my Model S from Vroom. Better than CarMax and Tesla. Those sites are definitely worth checking because they cost nothing and you’ll get an estimate back nearly immediately.

14. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

This is true, but it is usually not intended to be mean-spirited. You have a bunch of owners who are intimately aware of the features of the cars and their value. Then you have new prospective new buyers looking for value in a Tesla. The experienced owners will try to protect new buyers who are not aware of the value. You have an owner who is selling (and possibly a departing member of the community), and a new buyer who will be here for a while. Inaccuracies will be pointed out.

Often the issues being brought up are not even things the seller is aware of, like the intricacies of transferring unlimited free supercharging. Many times the seller prices the car at a level higher than the new owner could purchase an adequate new Tesla. These things will be noted.

@phuff246, Do your homework, and you should be fine.

15. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

16. testarossa

testarossa Member

I've used the Carmax instant offer feature and you don't always end up with what you'd expect. You get a bunch of calls from local dealers who then try to whittle down their offer.