Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Place to Sell my Model X??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. I read online that TMC is a great place to possibly sell my Tesla X P100D. Does the TMC community recommend this over AutoTrader, Craigslist, etc? If so, are there certain protocols or locations within the forum I should be listing it? I'd appreciate any/all advice. Thank you.

I bought my Model X off someone here on TMC. Flew to Denver and drove it back to Chicago. It was a great transaction and the previous owner knew what was up.

I've sold a few vehicles private sale and I will tell you Autotrader and eBay were the worse. I had the best luck with Car Gurus....

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200 and IdaX
Word of caution on Autotrader. I received multiple weird text messages and calls from scammers. They asked me if I could click on this webpage and run a report similar to a CarFax and stuff. I was very unhappy with the traffic that came my way from Autotrader. I even paid for the premium listing, etc. I called them after 72 hours and requested a full refund because they brought scammers to me.

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX
Word of caution on Autotrader. I received multiple weird text messages and calls from scammers. They asked me if I could click on this webpage and run a report similar to a CarFax and stuff. I was very unhappy with the traffic that came my way from Autotrader. I even paid for the premium listing, etc. I called them after 72 hours and requested a full refund because they brought scammers to me.
Ditto for me as I'm currently selling a non-Tesla car. I used a Google Voice number as my contact so I could easily screen and block the voice and text (plus reply to text on my PC easily).

Reactions: testarossa
As mentioned above, get a few offers and then post in the FS section to try and get a few more $$ as well as pass along a deal to a fellow member. If it it priced right you shouldn't have any negative comments except maybe a troll. Also take a look at EV-CPO.com to get an idea what Tesla is selling similar optioned cars for. Good luck!

I did a cash offer for my Qx80 between CarMarx, Carvana, and Kelly Blue Book. KBB instant trade offered me $7500 MORE than both Carmax and Carvana! I was blown away by their offer.
I got a good price on my Model S from Vroom. Better than CarMax and Tesla. Those sites are definitely worth checking because they cost nothing and you’ll get an estimate back nearly immediately.

Just be prepared for a lot of comments on TMC as people will troll and call you out and/or help prospective buyers point out 'things'. I would suggest not over pricing on TMC.
This is true, but it is usually not intended to be mean-spirited. You have a bunch of owners who are intimately aware of the features of the cars and their value. Then you have new prospective new buyers looking for value in a Tesla. The experienced owners will try to protect new buyers who are not aware of the value. You have an owner who is selling (and possibly a departing member of the community), and a new buyer who will be here for a while. Inaccuracies will be pointed out.

Often the issues being brought up are not even things the seller is aware of, like the intricacies of transferring unlimited free supercharging. Many times the seller prices the car at a level higher than the new owner could purchase an adequate new Tesla. These things will be noted.

@phuff246, Do your homework, and you should be fine.