Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Roadster deal ever?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Roadster went in for servicing today and they picked it up to put it on a flatbed out of an abundance of caution. Got to talking about Roadsters with the mechanic, and he said that there was a Roadster that sold for $30k with something like 500 miles on it. It was owned by an oil&gas outfit in Oklahoma that was using it as a promotional tool of some sort (yes, that's as weird as it sounds). They thought it was charging, but a circuit had tripped and it wasn't and I guess the battery was bricked. They sold it to someone in the Boston area.

That's about the best deal I've heard of -- given it was in basically brand new condition other than the toasted battery pack. I guess we'll have to see how much the Roadster 3.0 upgrade is to know for sure.

Not sure if that was such a great deal. Maybe. If the battery is toast I think a new one is over $30K. If it can be replaced for that price and everything else is fine than I think the price was reasonable, but hardly a steal. But if there are other issues that were not detectable because the car could not be powered up, then who knows.

I hope the new owner gets it back on the road and posts here.

I picked up #454 with 2,800 miles on it for $56,000 in perfect condition. I know of 2 other Roadsters that sold between $50-$55k with less than 10k miles. My mom owned a Mercedes Gullwing when she was in her 20's and sold it for a few thousand which is worth over $1.5M today. I imagine the Roadster will be a collectors item of similar value when 95% of the cars on the road are electric and it will be valued and coveted for its role in ushering in the EV era.

Just bought a 2008 roadster for $51k. Driving it home currently. Great condition, good mileage range, hard+soft top, extra set of headlights, lots of charging adapters, shiny and clean. A few broken climate control knobs though...

I bought my roadster and got a full Tesla warranty package.

More over, my roadster is ALL MINE.

I could have paid a lot less for many other vehicles, but this one for me was the perfect one.

Cost is not everything.

The happiness of ownership of a great vehicle is priceless.

If you are happy with your purchase and have no second thoughts, then you have the best roadster deal ever.

Just my humble opinion.

Best,

T

Just bought a 2008 roadster for $51k. Driving it home currently. Great condition, good mileage range, hard+soft top, extra set of headlights, lots of charging adapters, shiny and clean. A few broken climate control knobs though...

Seriously, that sounds like a very good price, but I would guess the mileage must be something over 40K? That's not a bad thing, just wondering how you got such a good price.

Photos?

compositor.jpeg
I think I got a great deal.....Roadster 2.5 Sport mint condition with 1000miles including all options and a brand new battery for $82,000. Loving my ride!!!

I think I got a great deal.....Roadster 2.5 Sport mint condition with 1000miles including all options and a brand new battery for $82,000. Loving my ride!!!

Saw your car in person, and thought that was one of the best (or the best?) deal ever. You lucked out on someone dumping something they neglected to use.
Jealous...

think I got a great deal.....Roadster 2.5 Sport mint condition with 1000miles including all options and a brand new battery for $82,000. Loving my ride!!!

Wow. FWIW - that's a better deal than the 2.0 CPO I bought in the summer of 2013, when prices seemed really low because of a glut of trade-ins. I paid about $12000 less for a 2.0, non-sport, with 8000 miles at the time.

Congrats and enjoy!

Paid £49k (equivalent of $71k at the time) for mine with 8300 miles and of course the previous history I have with the car.

That's £20k cheaper than any other I've seen for sale in the UK. Owner was emigrating and wanted a quick sale.

...THE NEW PEM IS A 2.5 SPORT MODEL...

So what happens there? I thought the 2.x "Sport" was supposed to have a "hand wound motor" to make more torque and so the Sport PEM was supposed to be mated to a Sport motor. If they didn't replace the motor too couldn't that cause a mis-match with problems. I don't think we ever got a solid / clear answer as to exactly what made the Sport drive-train better (more IGBTs in the PEM?) but I am surprised that Tesla did this "Frankenstein" configuration.

Last edited:
Looks like a good price for that Roadster. But I am confused by the "Sport" PEM statement.

It will be interesting to see what this one ends up selling for. 33.5k miles but it says: IT HAS HAD THE BATTERY PACK AND PEM REPLACED IN APRIL, 2013. THE NEW PEM IS A 2.5 SPORT MODEL, THE CAR HAS APROXIMATELY 6,000 MILES SINCE REPLACEMENT. Has a "Buy it Now" of $65k...

Tesla Roadster 2 0 Convertible | eBay

Looks like a good price for that Roadster. But I am confused by the "Sport" PEM statement.

It's a good price for a 2.5 for sure. I heard that the Sport PEM is identical to the base PEM, except for badging, and the difference in performance comes mostly from different firmware. The hand-wound stator is slightly more efficient and allows it to handle a few more amps. It also helps to have lighter forged wheels.