Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best SSD for TeslaCam?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used to use a USB stick for TeslaCam, which eventually failed. I then switched to a high endurance SD card and USB reader, which eventually failed.

Tesla Service told me to get a SSD. Does anyone have any recommendations for the best SSD to use for TeslaCam??

Samsung t5, works so well I forgot what models they were. Searching Amazon orders, I’ve had them for 18 months. They are too big for just Sentry video, but if you want music then 500Gb is nice. I think you only need 128 Gb or 256Gb for Sentry videos, but SSDs are larger these days…

From what I read in previous threads on this subject, SSD doesn't handle heat very well especially when a car is parked in the sun.

A recommended option is to use High Endurance SD Card combined with an USB adapter.
Agreed, and regular USB flash drives aren't good either. My first one died in less than a year. I then went to the SanDisk Max Endurance microSDXC and it has held up well - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084CJ9T2R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To put it in my MX I got (for $11.99) a Kingston Digital FCR-ML3C MobileLite Duo 3C, USB 3.1 + Type C, Microsd Card Reader, microSDHC/microSDXC - Amazon.com

To get the combo more flush with the back wall of my MX I got these for $5.99: Posdou USB 3.0 Male to Female 90 Degree Right Angle Extension Adapter, USB Upward and Downward Connector - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QYS3FD8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
From what I read in previous threads on this subject, SSD doesn't handle heat very well especially when a car is parked in the sun.

A recommended option is to use High Endurance SD Card combined with an USB adapter.
SSDs don't handle any operation outside of their rated temperature range (high or low) very well. I have had SSD boot devices fail to work on equipment out in the field at low temps as well. There is some farily complicated temperature compensation happening internal to the SSD and outside of the rated range the device may just shut down. Does not usually lead to damange, but it does lead to non-operation.

• Informative
Reactions: n.one.one

This works fine. 990GB exFAT partition for TeslaCam then a 10GB FAT32 for music. Flawless...sentry alerts about 15-30 a day on top of regular use, it gets as warm as being plugged into a computer...so no difference and durable.

So... for those of us in the cold northern US states, should we be thinking MicroSD instead of SSD based on functional temperature ratings? Most of the SSDs and USB flash drives have lower ranges of 32F, while the MicroSD cards operate down to -13F.

Our MY will be parked in a garage generally (both at work and at home), but even at that we can well below 0F in Minnesota in Jan/Feb...

So... for those of us in the cold northern US states, should we be thinking MicroSD instead of SSD based on functional temperature ratings? Most of the SSDs and USB flash drives have lower ranges of 32F, while the MicroSD cards operate down to -13F.

Our MY will be parked in a garage generally (both at work and at home), but even at that we can well below 0F in Minnesota in Jan/Feb...
I have a 256 SanDisk Max endurance with 3 partitions in my Model Y. So far, it’s been through 105 degrees Fahrenheit without any issues. I am now waiting for this winter to see if it survives.