Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best USB for dashcam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has been reccomended by Tesla users:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07855LJ99/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Make sure you buy it from Amazon direct, rather than the Amazon Marketplace as you can get a fake one through the marketplace

Still waiting for my Model 3 but already have the above USB ready to go for mine haha.

I'd be curious to know how other owners are getting on with this. I've been using mine for a week and worked well the first few days but since then been getting errors saying that the write speed isn't high enough even through it most definitely is. Have to keep unplugging it and putting back in..

128Gb is more than enough. If u dont watch and delete frequently (once a week or two weeks) then there will be so many videoclips, u wont find anything back easily. Nobody wants to watch hours of videoclips at once.
Another thing: UBS sticks degrade more often. It is adviced to use a (micro)SDcard (high endurance) with an USB reader. Some say u dont have to, but when u want to use a video for evidence, u dont want a corrupted disk.

128gb will fill up quick.

V10 soon out will have auto delete if sentry and dash can only remembers a few minutes until you tell it to keep.

That said, I’ve gone 128 and will treat it as a consumable and when it’s time to replace I’ll look at what I actually need. Sounds like most of what’s recorded can be ignored and it’s the retrospective inspection in the event of a confirmed problem that are the important ones.

I've gone for a SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD and then formatted it to 148Gb for music and ~350Gb for teslacam (500Gb total) . I used gparted on linux to format it.
  • anything with "extreme" in it's title (microsd or ssd) means that it will withstand high temperatures
  • SSD will be better than microsd in terms of write tolerance. SD cards will eventually wear out since they are only built for a certain number of "writes"
The sandisk is small (95mm x 50mm and 8mm deep), lightweight and has a rubberised underside (stop it sliding around) and comes with USB and USB-C connectors.

I'll let you know when my model 3 decides to show up.

I'd be curious to know how other owners are getting on with this. I've been using mine for a week and worked well the first few days but since then been getting errors saying that the write speed isn't high enough even through it most definitely is. Have to keep unplugging it and putting back in..

Did you get any further with the write speed issues?

I've had the same SSD for a couple of weeks, worked perfectly but now coming up with write speed errors. I thought mybe it wasn't formatted correctly but tried everything and still not working properly :-(

That model is not marketed as an 'endurance' card, so may fail prematurely with all the writing that dash and sentry mode continuously perform on the card. These devices, including SSD's have a limited lifespan of write operations, but some have higher reliability in that respect such as some SSD's and those marketed as specifically for dashcam and CCTV use. In the end, no matter what drive is used will fail, its a matter of how long. So they should be treated as consumable items. Unfortunately a compromised drive may not be immediately obvious and may only be noticed when examining clips - may be important information not recorded.