Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best wireless pad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to try to fit a wireless pad where the phones usually sit. Ideally, I'd like a non-slip pad that I can just rest my phone on top of and have it work.

Since the cables that came with are USB-C and Lightning, I'd have to use a converter to micro-USB since that's what most charging pads plug into.

Anyone did this already and have an opinion of which pad fits the best? That is to say, doesn't slide around and firmly grips both the phone and the bottom section.

• Informative
Reactions: Az_Rael
I used this one I got for $25 on Amazon. It is very thin and works great. I used 3M two sided tape to secure it to the normal phone flip up panel. The micro usb runs through the wire route under the rubber mat to the USB port. Works fine, and is very stealth. Only downside is since you are just leaning your phone against it, there is nothing to stop your phone from falling back when you do a hard acceleration. But it is fine during normal driving. And required no modification.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KJL4XNY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used this one I got for $25 on Amazon. It is very thin and works great. I used 3M two sided tape to secure it to the normal phone flip up panel. The micro usb runs through the wire route under the rubber mat to the USB port. Works fine, and is very stealth. Only downside is since you are just leaning your phone against it, there is nothing to stop your phone from falling back when you do a hard acceleration. But it is fine during normal driving. And required no modification.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KJL4XNY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Is there room for two of them next to each other? It looks like from the pictures it's slightly wider than a single phone.

Is there room for two of them next to each other? It looks like from the pictures it's slightly wider than a single phone.

I did a quick measurement of the narrow portion of the tray this morning and it looks like it is 6.5" wide. That may or may not work with two of those pads depending on how you set it up. They look like they are 3.4" wide according to Amazon.

I bought two of these Qi pads which connects via micro USB on Amazon. I am thinking of placing them side by side and 3D print a rubber piece to replace Tesla's rubber piece on top of them. But my model 3 will not be here until March at the earliest. Anyone interested in experimenting, send me the exact dimensions of Tesla's rubber piece, I'll send them a copy.

CJ

Attachments

• IMG_20180109_133911148.jpg
    IMG_20180109_133911148.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 307
Reactions: tracksyde
I bought two of these Qi pads which connects via micro USB on Amazon. I am thinking of placing them side by side and 3D print a rubber piece to replace Tesla's rubber piece on top of them. But my model 3 will not be here until March at the earliest. Anyone interested in experimenting, send me the exact dimensions of Tesla's rubber piece, I'll send them a copy.

CJ

If you could embed 2 of these that would be perfect! I'm still waiting for my invite otherwise I'd offer to help :(

If you could embed 2 of these that would be perfect! I'm still waiting for my invite otherwise I'd offer to help :(

I thought it would be a fun project while I wait for my 3. When you get yours, let me know.
Plenty of room for two - they're only 2 in. wide. Plus the three coils version is supposed to be high powered.
The one problem with the Qi charger is that you are not directly connected to USB. So you cannot play media from your phone on your stereo until they implement that feature over bluetooth. Shouldn't be that hard as, I am assuming, we are already using phone calls over bluetooth.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
I ordered one of these from Amazon as previously referenced in this thread: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KJL4XNY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Plugged it into the USB ports under the phone dock area and it was killing the USB port somehow. It would flash its lights a few times, then go out and no more power to that USB port. It could be reset with a scroll wheel reset, so it wasn't blowing a fuse or anything like that. Tried it with both front USB ports and no joy. Tried it with the back USB port and it worked fine. Tried a different cable and it still didn't work.

Plugged in my Samsung fast charge dock to the front USB ports, and it worked fine, so the problem appears to be with the Anker. The Anker does work in other ports and charges my phone, so who knows what is going on. I guess @Robotpedlr was luckier with his than me.

So this unit goes back to Amazon, and I will try a different one. It did look like two would fit side by side, it is just too bad it was killing my USB port.

I ordered one of these from Amazon as previously referenced in this thread: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KJL4XNY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Plugged it into the USB ports under the phone dock area and it was killing the USB port somehow. It would flash its lights a few times, then go out and no more power to that USB port. It could be reset with a scroll wheel reset, so it wasn't blowing a fuse or anything like that. Tried it with both front USB ports and no joy. Tried it with the back USB port and it worked fine. Tried a different cable and it still didn't work.

Plugged in my Samsung fast charge dock to the front USB ports, and it worked fine, so the problem appears to be with the Anker. The Anker does work in other ports and charges my phone, so who knows what is going on. I guess @Robotpedlr was luckier with his than me.

So this unit goes back to Amazon, and I will try a different one. It did look like two would fit side by side, it is just too bad it was killing my USB port.

Interestingly just got one too and mine does exactly what yours did. Did a new unit fix it? wondering if I should just return mine or try to replace it.

The manual for that device does say "USB Chargers with an output lower than 5 volts / 2 amps may not work." And we know that the Tesla ports only put out 1 amp. So my guess is that the Tesla "PC" is detecting an overcurrent situation and disconnecting the port to prevent damage.

Since it worked in the back ports I wonder if they provide more power, or if they don't have the overcurrent protection built-in.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde