Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beta - is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PattyChuck

Model S P100D, Model X P90D
Jan 24, 2012
Valparaiso, Indiana
I just received an e-mail that the Model S Beta will be at the Oakbrook Store at the end of this month. It's about a two hour drive for me, and I'm already in line for a Model S. I've never seen the beta. With the anticipated launch of the new design center at the end of this month, is it really worth going to see? It seems like the trip might not be worth the four hours in the car with a 15-month-old... Any thoughts?

I think it depends on how well you conceptualize photos...I don't do it well, so I'd make the trip to see the 3d real life version...

(Besides, it's a good reason to take the afternoon off work and drive the Roadster!) :wink::smile:

I took my wife and my 2 boys (4 and 10 months) to see the beta. But we took the train, and the trip was <1 hour... Also we made a day out of it, hanging out in Toronto. Was it worth it? Totally! I had a great time chatting with the Tesla reps and sitting in the car messing with the touchscreen etc.

Although for ~4 hours of driving I probably wouldn't have subjected my kids to it. I would have just skipped work and gone by myself or with a friend...

I don't agree with the people saying not to go. There's something about seeing it in person - tactile, how things operate (doors, trunk, frunk, touchscreen), details you don't see in the pictures, etc. Obviously it isn't 100% production intent, but still it gives you a very good idea of what it is all about.

Put it this way... I went to the Factory Tour and rode in the car. But that was only a couple of minutes, and as much as I enjoyed the Fremont tour I left feeling I hadn't had enough time to get familiar with the vehicle. So even after that I still went on a 4 hour trip (each way) to Toronto to see the Beta. I was able to sit in the driver's seat, passenger seat, back, open the trunk and frunk, and generally examine things up close.

I don't agree with the people saying not to go. There's something about seeing it in person...
I'm not saying he shouldn't see the car in person, but that he might as well wait for the next iteration since he'd probably want to see that one anyway. I don't see much value in seeing it twice when the 2nd look would be on a version closer to production maybe a couple months from now.

I would agree with the you should go crowd. I thought I wanted a Subaru STI, I looked at all the photos and everything. In real life the outside of the car looked great, maybe a bit better than the pictures. The car looked a lot bigger in person. The inside seemed more cramped than the pictures, and well very different (not really worse or better) than I got with the pictures. Just sitting in the car gave me a really different feel than the pictures.

For something that costs $60k you probably want to see it. I am probably going to drive up to 250 miles to see a Beta if/when it makes it close to Atlanta.

I'm not saying he shouldn't see the car in person, but that he might as well wait for the next iteration since he'd probably want to see that one anyway. I don't see much value in seeing it twice when the 2nd look would be on a version closer to production maybe a couple months from now.

This is sort-of what I was thinking. My res number is 6703, so I assume I won't be taking delivery of the car until early 2013. I'm not a picky person when it comes to vehicles, so I doubt anything I see on the car in person would affect me so dramatically as to change my mind on the purchase decision. Since so far, the consensus is split 50/50, I'll either flip a coin, or see what kind of mood the toddler is in on the day we plan to go. She's been the deciding factor in a lot of things lately :smile:

FWIW, I decided to go see the beta in Boston (all of a 15-min drive) but not to bring my wife or son yet. I think it will be far more compelling for them (her, in particular) to be able to drive it, or in it, and appreciate the compelling drive dynamics and surreal quiet. It's not that the car doesn't show well, but I'm really not sure how much you learn. If you're committed to holding your Model S reservation, I'd wait. If you're waffling, go.

I agree with ckessel.

The beta I saw (in Bellevue, about a month ago) was not built well in the interior (it's a beta, of course) and/or had been fiddled with by so many people that it was coming apart in places...really wasn't intended to show build quality, so that might turn you off (though there's no reason to expect any build quality in the haphazardly-assembled early betas). I think the interior for several of the betas was thrown together at the last minute before the ride event, so it's a bit touch-and-go. Plus, I believe (hope) the RCs will have a more refined interior. (Perhaps this is why other car companies don't let customers see non-production cars? :)

Exterior was great though. If you're not sure about size or the looks of the car on the outside based on pictures, and are putting off another decision waiting for the Model S, go and check it out. That way, if it's too big a car for you, or if you don't like the looks in person, you can move on. (Doubt you will though--looks great on the outside).

As far as the inside: again--the interior will be more refined, the touchscreen will (likely) be using a faster processor, etc...so you might as well wait.

I didn't get a real feel for how big it was until I saw it in person and checked it out for a long time, as Doug_G says - sitting in all the different seats, examining the trunks, etc.
Whether that's worth a 4 hr round trip drive would be up to you, and if you can do anything else at that destination.

I would say the car the pictures didn't give me a good sense of the car (I have poor picture processing ability/imagination or something. :)). This is true for both the exterior and the interior.

But if I had to travel that far, I'd probably just wait for the RC and see a more final version.

I reserved my Model S in oakbrook and i am from the area, but if the only reason to drive in is to see the model s then wait! However, if you want to make a day out of it and your little girl likes being outdoors, then oakbrook is an outdoor mall and there is lots to do in the area, especially if you like shopping. The guys at the oakbrook store are really cool and easy going and they generally have some inside information that they like to share. Also, hearing the home grown sound system in person is impressive and seeing it in personis pretty awesome!!

I'm also in the "You should go" camp. Photos really can't do the car justice, and after seeing the car in person, I came away with many insights, such as ingress and egress of the back seats. Trunk space and real size dimensions that I can fully conceptualize. The reps there were good at giving me the full tour. Bring your car seat and see if you have any issues with the placement if you like. Is the driving position good for you. These things will not change between beta and release candidate. One last thing to keep in mind is that this trip will be no easier with a 22-24 month old than with a 15 month old. I'd just make a day of it and hope she naps while en route!

I'd say go if you can but don't stress about it if you can't. With your reservation number, as you said, you'll have plenty of time to see a production version probably this summer or fall before you have to lock in your options.