Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Better than Xpel Paint Protection and here is why... (and what I did)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many of us want to protect our babies (yes, the organic ones too) and I am talking about our cars. For me, it is my new 2017 Model S. For about six months now I have been researching what is the best way to help protect my paint and on the front of my car's body. I wanted buy a product that would last, have a strong defense against bug splats, bird bombs, and rock bullets (along with starches, and paint fading) . Over and over I see and read about so many people going with Xpel. I was all set on doing that too for my car, and just wanted to make sure it was the best option out there. I am glad I did.

I came across some people talking about 3M's scotchgard paint protection Pro and dug into it more. I found out that they offer the same 10 year warranty as Xpel (it was seven with 3M), however if installed by a certified dealer they also offer the insurance protection of up to $3,500.00. This covers replacement and repaint should it ever be needed. I thought this was all good and everything, but I needed to see how good the film really was. So I found a video on YouTube that sealed the deal for me. Here is that video...

It was a no brain'er from there. I looked into it more and found out Xpel is just an older version of SunTek. Don't get me wrong, all films are good, but if I was going to pay thousands to protect my car, it needed be the best.

Living in the Houston area, I called 3M to find out who their local approved authorized dealer was. They only had one. I was shocked on this, because I found like ten dealers for Xpel. I asked 3M why there was not more, and they said most customers do no like the price. I did not care, what is another thousand or so more dollars to keep the stress level down?

They referred me to Midtown Motor Trends in Downtown (Mid Town) Houston.
Here they are on Yelp...
Midtown Motor Trends - Fourth Ward - Houston, TX

I sent a message to they through Yelp, and about an hour or two later Mike gets back to me. He assures me that 3M is the best as they also are a certified installer for Xpel too, and that he and his team have been doing installs for many years, and only 3M has given his clients the best results. I felt comfortable with what Mike had to say and also looked at his work from the pictures online. I chose to have the whole front of the car protected with 3M Pro and the back bumper. I also had the windows tinted there too with 3M's Crystalline. Lastly, I had the rest of the car painted with Ceramic Pro. If the cost was a bit more affordable I would have just had the whole car wrapped, but he told me I could always get the rest of the car done at a later time.

Mike and his team are awesome, he took the time send me pictures of the process. See the attached pictures.

IMG_0010.JPG IMG_0011.JPG IMG_0012.JPG IMG_0013.JPG IMG_0014.JPG IMG_0015.JPG

What I like about it is they use computer cut patters that 3M provides, and 95% of them wrap around the edges. Looks very finished and seamless.

Here is a picture of the car finished be wrapped.
IMG_0016.JPG

I am very excited to see how the whole thing turns out. I will update this post with the final pictures.

I hope this post was helpful. Let me know if you guys have any question or thoughts.

So how much was the whole wrap, if you don't mind? Do you know what would it cost to do just the front (bumper, hood) and mirrors?

All of you are asking how much and I am sure others want to know too.

My cost was under $5K... Mike does offer a military discount and I think he said it was 10% off.

Remember too.... I had a lot done... not just the front of the car.

I think to cover the front of the car is will be around $2K... but you should ask Mike for a quote if you are in the Houston area.

First off... your car looks killler @Chrisanne

I also went with the 3M but I did not do a full wrap. Still very happy with the results and the video you posted was one of the reasons why I chose 3M.

Thank you for the kind words Struja! :)

I know this is a lot of money, and I am going to remind myself of it every day... but it is better than $10,000.00 for a bumper replacement. Trust me, that is what it cost...

• Disagree
Reactions: obie_fl
First off... your car looks killler @Chrisanne

I second that!

I third that!

Just got a 2016 Model S in the same exterior color and shopped around for options today. There are not many companies willing to install the 3M product, but the one that did was much, much less than the others that do XPEL. This makes me wonder, if I can trust the "cheap" place.

Since my car already came with film on the front bumper, front lights and mirrors, I asked them to quote the rocker panels and lower doors, as well as the upper rear bumper where the hatch opens. The XPEL shops quoted $400-600, while the shop that says they use 3M products only wanted $180.

Does this sound even remotely right? Are 3M products less than XPEL?

PS: I would have the rest of the car ceramic coated, which was quoted at $1,200 with 5-year warranty to $2,790 for a high end job with lifetime warranty.

Honestly the largest cost isn't in the film but in the labor. I have a buddy that does wraps, tint, etc as his business and the film is cheap. For instance, most clear vinyl for a front end wrap will cost around $100-$200 at his cost, but he'll charge at least double or triple that to install it. Obviously make sure they're using what they say they're using, but if they're willing to install it at $8/hour and they do a good job, that's all that matters!

• Informative
Reactions: David99
Many of us want to protect our babies (yes, the organic ones too) and I am talking about our cars. For me, it is my new 2017 Model S. For about six months now I have been researching what is the best way to help protect my paint and on the front of my car's body. I wanted buy a product that would last, have a strong defense against bug splats, bird bombs, and rock bullets (along with starches, and paint fading) . Over and over I see and read about so many people going with Xpel. I was all set on doing that too for my car, and just wanted to make sure it was the best option out there. I am glad I did.

I came across some people talking about 3M's scotchgard paint protection Pro and dug into it more. I found out that they offer the same 10 year warranty as Xpel (it was seven with 3M), however if installed by a certified dealer they also offer the insurance protection of up to $3,500.00. This covers replacement and repaint should it ever be needed. I thought this was all good and everything, but I needed to see how good the film really was. So I found a video on YouTube that sealed the deal for me. Here is that video...

It was a no brain'er from there. I looked into it more and found out Xpel is just an older version of SunTek. Don't get me wrong, all films are good, but if I was going to pay thousands to protect my car, it needed be the best.

Living in the Houston area, I called 3M to find out who their local approved authorized dealer was. They only had one. I was shocked on this, because I found like ten dealers for Xpel. I asked 3M why there was not more, and they said most customers do no like the price. I did not care, what is another thousand or so more dollars to keep the stress level down?

Here they are on Yelp...

I sent a message to they through Yelp, and about an hour or two later Mike gets back to me. He assures me that 3M is the best as they also are a certified installer for Xpel too, and that he and his team have been doing installs for many years, and only 3M has given his clients the best results. I felt comfortable with what Mike had to say and also looked at his work from the pictures online. I chose to have the whole front of the car protected with 3M Pro and the back bumper. I also had the windows tinted there too with 3M's Crystalline. Lastly, I had the rest of the car painted with Ceramic Pro. If the cost was a bit more affordable I would have just had the whole car wrapped, but he told me I could always get the rest of the car done at a later time.

Mike and his team are awesome, he took the time send me pictures of the process. See the attached pictures.

What I like about it is they use computer cut patters that 3M provides, and 95% of them wrap around the edges. Looks very finished and seamless.

I am very excited to see how the whole thing turns out. I will update this post with the final pictures.

I hope this post was helpful. Let me know if you guys have any question or thoughts.

Chrisanne,

We're glad to hear you're happy with the install and we're always happy to see more cars protected with paint protection film whether XPEL or not.

What I do want to clarify though, is that XPEL is not an older version of that other brand you mentioned. XPEL ULTIMATE is made here in the USA and is a 100% XPEL owned, formulated, and manufactured product not shared with any other company. XPEL ULTIMATE is also the world's very first self-healing film as it was released in the Spring of 2011 and has been put to the test over the years in every climate imaginable.

Let us know if anyone has any questions we can help out with.

Reactions: Fiddler
Chrisanne,

We're glad to hear you're happy with the install and we're always happy to see more cars protected with paint protection film whether XPEL or not.

What I do want to clarify though, is that XPEL is not an older version of that other brand you mentioned. XPEL ULTIMATE is made here in the USA and is a 100% XPEL owned, formulated, and manufactured product not shared with any other company. XPEL ULTIMATE is also the world's very first self-healing film as it was released in the Spring of 2011 and has been put to the test over the years in every climate imaginable.

I am fair on all this, send me a sample of your best protection film and I will make a video on a very fair comparison.

Deal?

Chrisanne,

Doesn't seem as though though they are questioning the conclusions of the test video. This is a great video/resources! Thanks Chrisanne.

Doesn't seem as though though they are questioning the conclusions of the test video. This is a great video/resources! Thanks Chrisanne.

Not A Problem. Love to help.

I did reply to the guy from Xpel for a sample of their best product, I am also getting samples from other wraps from companies. I am soon as I get the samples in, I will start working on the video. Make no mistake, if Xpel is better... then I will make sure to update this thread.

The people want to know... and so do I! :)

Here they are on Yelp...

View attachment 267915 View attachment 267916 View attachment 267917 View attachment 267918 View attachment 267919 View attachment 267920

Here is a picture of the car finished be wrapped.
View attachment 267921

Looks really good. I’ll be having mine wrapped with the same film. I found a website InvisibleMask that can precut it all for you for a reasonable price.

@Pentium2004 , Good Luck to you!! I hope they do a great job on the cutting... I would say if you can do it all for under $2K.. you will be in good shape. I just wanted to have the full warranty and insurance on it, that is why I had a authorized dealer do it.

@Everyone Else... I received the Xpel package from Mike the other day and I am waiting on 3M's right now. I plan to film the video this Wednesday, and then need a few more days for post. I will update this thread when it is ready with links and all that.

• Informative
Reactions: XPEL
I had mine X-Pell wrapped (full body). Did not know about this one. I was really on the fence about wrapping it but really happy I did it. Should have done it sooner as there are of chips in the front, but anyway.
Washing is a breeze and every time you wash it you basically get a "brand new" car. With my other car I hated washing the car but now I love doing it as the result is so amazing with the wrap!

• Informative
Reactions: BrettS