Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big announcement on EVs & emissions standards coming from federal government this Wednesday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the SMH.

That Dowling fellow has been the go-to for EV hit pieces lately.

It’s almost as if Toyota threatened to cut their Fairfax ad spend unless they took a certain editorial direction…

This bit sounds like it has potential, if implemented properly:

To support ease of access to EV charging facilities across the nation, the Australian government will invest, develop and deploy a national mapping tool for EV charging infrastructure. While most Australian states and territories are implementing similar initiatives at a local level, a national map will facilitate infrastructure, energy and telecommunications planning around EV charging, cross border certainty for EV drivers, and inform future investment.

This tool will help ensure EV drivers can access reliable information on public charging infrastructure and easily plug and pay for their charging session, no matter what state or territory they are in.

The Government will work with states and territories to develop and deploy this widescale national mapping capability. It will identify priority locations for regional charging infrastructure to support optimal investment and provide certainty of EV charging for all users across Australia.

So basically a repository of data which is freely available for third parties to use. (Note, Plugshare isn't freely available).

One central location for vehicle manufacturers to source charging station locations from. No need for vehicle manufacturers to go to each charging network and arrange synchronisation.

If real time charger status (in use/available/faulty) is included, even better.

NZ has a similar government repository: New Zealand Public EV Charger Map

It's a good opportunity, but if done *poorly* it would be pointless.

It sounds like a combination of the NSW planning tool that's intended more for deployers that also overlays electrical infrastructure and road usage,
With something also intended for end users.

While I guess they could share the same back end, the customer one is a very different product imho.

Reactions: Chuq
Supposedly going to be pretty radical policy
Hopefully federal level rebates
Hopefully huge investments in charging infrastructure

…in case also people thought the two major parties are simply two sides of the same coin
Yeah, “pretty radical”! Fuel efficiency standards are obviously needed to accelerate the reduction of Australian carbon emissions, but also have immediate impact on our health by reducing particulate pollution.
Anyway, Nick O’Malley has a mildly scathing essay in the SMH. He says “Australian exceptionalism is why we have lagged the rest of the developed world in climate action.”
I don’t understand why the govt doesn’t start immediately with where the US under Biden has gone then ramp up to where the EU is. That might actually qualify as “radical”.

Reactions: schnaxxl
I think much of this stuff can be done via regulation and does not require legislation?
there has to be a related provision in an act for a reg to work
there might be something in legislation already that relates but I suspect that most likely there will be a new act
the cross bench will support it with amendments and the opposition will campaign to save the utes
[only half-joking]

Reactions: Hungry Mile
Not even a timeframe for the emissions standard, only after consultation.

6 week consultation with industry, with the fuel efficiency standards to commence from 1 Jan 2024.

Looks like a pretty aggressive timeframe to me given all the things that need to fall into place to make it happen and actually be effective.