Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big News for Tesla in Michigan!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think Tesla's push for direct sales and service is anti-consumer.
There certainly are two sides to this story, for sure.

But as long as Tesla allows third parties to service Teslas (by actually selling third party mechanics the needed parts), then I don't have too much of a problem with them eliminating the whole stealership... er... dealership model. That's a huge "but," though, as Tesla has shown no interest in selling parts to third party repair shops... at least, so far. I'm hoping that that's due to the fact that they just simply haven't had the production capacity to keep up with their own spare parts needs, and that as more capacity comes online, they'll open up the doors.

We'll see.

Reactions: afadeev
Agreed.

It's only bureaucratic paperwork but an owner no longer has to physically leave Michigan to buy and register a Tesla.

Tesla delivered my car to Michigan via independent third party. I received paperwork from Tesla went to Secretary of State for Michigan. Never had to leave state. The third party absolved Tesla from the Michigan issue. Not all purchasers go that route...

its about time! can't wait to find out the true details. I never had to title my car out of state before coming to Michigan, that is a very confusing statement in the article. I'm guessing they will still continue to make the buyer go to the secretary of state to get the title vs. doing it all at the Tesla Store.

How did you pull that off? Did you have to pay for delivery?

No I financed at 1.49% 72 month via Tesla/ Chase. Inventory car. New sort of :). It took a while(month and a half). Two guys from an enclosed trucking company had a Ferrari and Ford GT. Came from Texas were the car was, and the two guys drove non stop. I did pay for delivery, but that was and still is standard for cars in inventory.

Tesla did this with the S many times here in Michigan early on. I think it is still done in Texas. Especially on sales push to get cars financed and sold. It did happen for a few 3 customers, again for a push. Then went Chicago or Lyndhurst as the hub and spoke model works better.

I don't think Tesla has been all that hindered by anti-competitive laws except insofar as not being able to offer test drives.
The lack of service centers strikes me as a much more formidable obstacle to sales among the mainstream buyers and in that MI is a HUGE win.

Reactions: MJP.P3D-