Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Biggest difference with my new X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I loved my blue 2017 X100d, but I admit it, I like to trade in after 3 years. This was particularly ridiculous because my 2017 was absolutely perfect. My only criticism was the range--at 85% charge, I could get 250 miles. That's ok, but for trips, I had to use better route planner and sometimes even non Tesla chargers.

I have now put 500 miles on my brand new X, and even though I know I'm not supposed to do it--I charged overnight at home to 100 %. 352!!!!!!! I've never felt so free, and it seems to get more out of each charge (I know that's probably subjective, but still). It charges to over 300 on my normal healthy setting. That 60+ miles of range is not insignificant!

352 miles on a car that can hold more than I would ever put in it, and can beat a vet off the line!!!

I had 2017 X75 and just week ago traded to a new 2020 LR+ with the G pack. My earlier X75 had 69.5kWh left in the tank and the new one seems to have 97.6kWh. Consumption on the highway is about the same as my earlier X (X75 is lighter and more efficient than the X100, almost identical with the raven) but the ~30kWh of extra energy goes a long way. Moreover, the efficiency around town has improved drastically. Finally the G pack charging curve is also almost identical with the 3LR, so the long distance travel speed is from entirely different planet. The car is also considerably more silent and the seats are finally tolerable. MCU2/HW3 also are huge improvements.

"New batteries in full production is 2-3 years away. By then, X will probably get a a redesign and new batteries, then it's time to upgrade again."

That was my conclusion as well. There's NO DOWNSIDE! If a new design comes out in a year or two (realistically, that's the soonest), we just get it. We've had two years in a better X.

Well, no downside except for tens of thousands that you gave Tesla for an upgrade :). My 2018 P100D is still going strong. I will wait 2-3 years for new design and new batteries.

I had 2017 X75 and just week ago traded to a new 2020 LR+ with the G pack. My earlier X75 had 69.5kWh left in the tank and the new one seems to have 97.6kWh. Consumption on the highway is about the same as my earlier X (X75 is lighter and more efficient than the X100, almost identical with the raven) but the ~30kWh of extra energy goes a long way. Moreover, the efficiency around town has improved drastically. Finally the G pack charging curve is also almost identical with the 3LR, so the long distance travel speed is from entirely different planet. The car is also considerably more silent and the seats are finally tolerable. MCU2/HW3 also are huge improvements.
Good to hear that the battery range makes a difference. We just did our first long trip with our 2018 X75, SF bay area to LA. We had to charge 3 times which was a bit much. The lease is up in May, so we need to decide between new X or a Y. Sounds like the new pack makes a difference.

Last edited:
Traded up from my 75X to 100X Long Range. Amazing difference with the bigger battery and almost more importantly the greatly improved Adaptive Air Suspension. It handles better, rides smoother and quieter.

Getting a second tranch of Section 179 made it almost free to upgrade. The seats are a little nicer, and I also liked the new wood and dash treatment. They now come standard with the better stereo, cornering lights, interior lighting and trim.

Not sure what the benefits are yet of the bigger battery sizes. Know it will reduce production costs, so might also result in lowere pricing, but will not know about that for a couple years.

We used to need 3 stops going from San Diego to SF, but now make it easy on just two stops. It seems to charger much quicker as well, but that might just be because of the newer V3 Superchargers.

It seems to charger much quicker as well, but that might just be because of the newer V3 Superchargers.
Not just your imagination--that's a very real factor of the larger pack size. Remember that the tapering curve of power coming down as the battery gets more full is as a factor of the % full of the battery. So on the same Supercharger, a smaller battery is going to get full faster and start turning down the power much sooner, whereas the larger battery can take in a lot more before it starts getting full, so the power stays high for much longer.

And kind of the related way to look at it, that let's say you want to take in a fixed number of rated miles for the next segment of your trip. You could fill 200, but on the smaller pack, that may be pretty full at 80% or something, so it slowed down some to get there. But on a larger pack, that same 200 rated miles, was only up to 60 or 70%, so it kept almost full power throughout that time and got done sooner.

I loved my blue 2017 X100d, but I admit it, I like to trade in after 3 years. This was particularly ridiculous because my 2017 was absolutely perfect. My only criticism was the range--at 85% charge, I could get 250 miles. That's ok, but for trips, I had to use better route planner and sometimes even non Tesla chargers.

I have now put 500 miles on my brand new X, and even though I know I'm not supposed to do it--I charged overnight at home to 100 %. 352!!!!!!! I've never felt so free, and it seems to get more out of each charge (I know that's probably subjective, but still). It charges to over 300 on my normal healthy setting. That 60+ miles of range is not insignificant!

352 miles on a car that can hold more than I would ever put in it, and can beat a vet off the line!!!
Did you get good value when trading in? My wife and I wonder how it would be trying to trade in after a few years? Any special perks?

Did you get good value when trading in? My wife and I wonder how it would be trying to trade in after a few years? Any special perks?
I probably gave away some on the trade; I got a value of $58,000. I could have undoubtedly got more with a private sale, but I live in a very poor community (on the coast, at the Oregon border, our only attraction is Redwood National Park, and of course the fishing, both in the ocean and the 4th clearest river in the world, the Smith). Since I'd been paying on my old one for 4 years, there was a ton of equity, so who cares?????

Well, no downside except for tens of thousands that you gave Tesla for an upgrade :). My 2018 P100D is still going strong. I will wait 2-3 years for new design and new batteries.

I can't argue with your facts. But, here's the counter, I'm 73 years old, with 4 kids, each earning over 100k, so they don't need my money. I couldn't think of any other thing to spend the money on.

I can't argue with your facts. But, here's the counter, I'm 73 years old, with 4 kids, each earning over 100k, so they don't need my money. I couldn't think of any other thing to spend the money on.

Great point and changes things for sure. Glad you are in a great position. I am half your age and my kids are 4 and 11. Still have many things to spend money on :).

Shows how different everyone is, I was 35 when we ordered our X. I would love a new one, who wouldn't? Cost to change though here in the UK is £50kish, as a young family there are still alot of other things we can do with £50k!

More range seems to be the biggest change on new cars, but COVID really has changed travel in Europe. All my work meetings are on Zoom, surprisingly I don't really miss driving anywhere for weekend trip, or even going to see extended family:)

So our X has gone from doing 1000mile+ a month to barely 400 miles, and I haven't charged it beyond 65% for over 6 months. So any extra range is literally wasted money.

I am getting the HW3 and MCU2 upgrade though, but my new love on the road is actually a old flame whom I've recently been reacquainted with.....even my wife and daughter is jealous how much time/attention I give it.

You haven't experienced what 'road feel' is untill you have done your fist century on a pedal with rim brake, no suspension, 23 mm tyres pumped up to 120 PSI, I love driving our X but no car can come close to delivering the joys of a good roadbike, not even a P Tesla, if you haven't tried it your missing out ;)

50449792586_64738e0bd1_c_d.jpg

I’ll chime in with some experience in quite possibly the rarest configuration. Raven SR (BTX5), essentially a 75D with the latest and greatest of everything else.

Real world range is effectively the same as that of a 90D due to the drivetrain improvements.

Charging starts off and settles decently quick (120-130KW on V2+) above 8% but generally starts tapering at ~40% but after that generally remains tolerable (~125-SOC%) due to being a 350V.

The comfort is fantastic with to the new suspension setup where as pre-Raven seemed excessively stiff and “truck-like”

I am test driving an MX Raven Perf this weekend and a Model Y Perf afterwards to replace my 2017 MX P100DL. I am leaning towards getting a Model Y Perf since it has the latest and greatest (2170, more efficient, heat pump, etc...). Storage will be tighter in the Y, but these days we are not utilizing the 3rd row in our MX at all. Then once the MX is revised, pickup the new one.

Finally the G pack charging curve is also almost identical with the 3LR, so the long distance travel speed is from entirely different planet.

This is good to hear. I recently did back to back 800 miles road trips with my 2017 P100DL. I noticed that Supercharging curve has started to taper sooner. I don't know if it was the SCs, a fluke, SC cap, or software changes, but it was annoying to have to charge longer.

Reactions: P85_DA
I am test driving an MX Raven Perf this weekend and a Model Y Perf afterwards to replace my 2017 MX P100DL. I am leaning towards getting a Model Y Perf since it has the latest and greatest (2170, more efficient, heat pump, etc...). Storage will be tighter in the Y, but these days we are not utilizing the 3rd row in our MX at all. Then once the MX is revised, pickup the new one.

This is good to hear. I recently did back to back 800 miles road trips with my 2017 P100DL. I noticed that Supercharging curve has started to taper sooner. I don't know if it was the SCs, a fluke, SC cap, or software changes, but it was annoying to have to charge longer.
Prob SC cap. Do you keep a Teslafi log for charging sessions?