Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried my existing trunk-mounted bike rack and it worked great on my model 3. Clips at the top of the trunk fit in the gap perfectly fine, held 2 mountain bikes without problems. Bike rack is an inexpensive 'Allen' bike rack, nothing special, and is super-easy to put on/take off (<1 min). I would recommend some extra cushioning, so I put some cloths between the rack and the car just to protect it a little more.
IMG_7268.JPG

Reactions: TydalForce
I tried my existing trunk-mounted bike rack and it worked great on my model 3. Clips at the top of the trunk fit in the gap perfectly fine, held 2 mountain bikes without problems. Bike rack is an inexpensive 'Allen' bike rack, nothing special, and is super-easy to put on/take off (<1 min). I would recommend some extra cushioning, so I put some cloths between the rack and the car just to protect it a little more.
Trunk Racks
IMG_7268.JPG

I tried my existing trunk-mounted bike rack and it worked great on my model 3. Clips at the top of the trunk fit in the gap perfectly fine, held 2 mountain bikes without problems. The bike rack is an inexpensive 'Allen' bike rack, nothing special, and is super-easy to put on/take off (<1 min). I would recommend some extra cushioning, so I put some cloths between the rack and the car just to protect it a little more.
Trunk Racks
View attachment 407041
I purchased a 2 bike Allen Deluxe Trunk Carrier a few weeks ago and so far it has worked well on the three short (<20 miles) trips we've used it. It does screw up the M3 sensors though. If I back up with the rack and bikes on I get all kinds of warnings to STOP. Apparently, the M3 cannot tell the difference between attached bikes and something in the back of the car.

I purchased a 2 bike Allen Deluxe Trunk Carrier a few weeks ago and so far it has worked well on the three short (<20 miles) trips we've used it. It does screw up the M3 sensors though. If I back up with the rack and bikes on I get all kinds of warnings to STOP. Apparently, the M3 cannot tell the difference between attached bikes and something in the back of the car.
So the upper straps were able to clip in between the bottom of the window and the spoiler OK? Would appreciate any pictures. That's an affordable rack and if I could avoid my suction cup hack that would be great.
bike rack.jpg

I just took the Allen Deluxe trunk rack with 2 bikes on my Model 3 to a bike trail 80 miles away. No problem going over but somehow, on the way back the upper rollers dropped below the lip of the trunk and everything sagged a little - no damage. I had to remove bikes and put upper rollers 3 inches above the lip then remount bikes and all
0724190836b_Film1.jpg
was fine the rest of the way back. There is a 70 lb limit for the 2 bike rack.

Basically, I'm happy with it except back sensors go crazy when you back up with the bike and racks on.

The choices in Australia are limited, Yakima said they will make one but it's not available until Jan next year, and as they will manufacture in Aus they won't import the US version. No one in the US seems to want to post to Aus. So it might need to be a sea sucker.

can only fit one bike that way. my road bike with the aero bars takes up the entire rear of the car and laying your derailleur flat like that isn't good for it.
You can't put another one in the back seat area? Anyway, I'm not trying to be critical. Obviously, a bike rack is way easier and leaves room for a full load of passengers and cargo.

Just completed a long road trip with two Yakima FrontLoader bike racks (front wheel on) mounted on the Tesla roof rack. No problems at all. I have the bike racks mounted with the included clamps; I don't believe they make a TSlot adapter for that rack.

Last edited:
Trunk Racks
View attachment 407041
Any problems/issue with the Allen strap clips scratching the trunk lid paint. I have an Allen 2-bike rack and am concerned with the apparent lack of Cushing or thick rubber coating on the clips. Appreciate ur feed back. Thx

I have the Saris Bone 2 - I've re-engineered the top to vacuum clamp to the rear window of my i3 and it works well with it. I don't think that bike rack will be a good option for the Model 3 as there is no bumper lip to rest the lower supports like the one you see in the i3 in the picture. View attachment 342272

How were you able to add the clamps? I'm looking to do the same to my Saris Bones 2.