Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bike Racks or Hitch Rack/System Ideas for MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I am curious as to what bike racks do folks highly recommend for use with the Model S? Please let me know the brand name and model number for a 2 or more bike rack that worked well for you.

Currently I have a Thule Bike Rack but its getting old and I am wondering if there are newer ones that some of you on here have had a good experience with. Also, specifically if it is a trunk mounted type does it works well and install easily on the Model S considering its hatch-back-y shape?

Alternatively I would love to understand if someone has had experience with getting hitch bike racks installed on their Model S. If yes please provide some details on how you installed the hitch or where you had it installed and the bike rack that works well with that system. i am actually leaning toward a hitch bike rack system and would really appreciate some guidance in that regard

Thank you very much in advance.

These are sweet if you can find someone nearby that can do the install. Torklift Central | Tesla - Find Your EcoHitch - RVing and Towing
This is super helpful!! Thank you very much. Just curious where did you get this installed? Just a local body shop or anyone special who handles this kind of stuff? In either case did you feel confident that they weren't going to cut open the underside of your Tesla or the bumper? I will purchase this but I want to be sure I am taking this to the right people to do the installation. Do you feel that the "Service King" folks that Tesla recommends are capable and knowledgeable about this? Thanks again

This is super helpful!! Thank you very much. Just curious where did you get this installed? Just a local body shop or anyone special who handles this kind of stuff? In either case did you feel confident that they weren't going to cut open the underside of your Tesla or the bumper? I will purchase this but I want to be sure I am taking this to the right people to do the installation. Do you feel that the "Service King" folks that Tesla recommends are capable and knowledgeable about this? Thanks again
Sorry one more question. What is the difference between a 1.25" hitch receiver vs. 2". Are there advantages to the 2" one? Thanks

I have the ecohitch, and I bought a Thule T2 Pro XT. It's a brute, but very solid solution for 2 bikes and easy to use. It's still easy to back into Superchargers with the rack folded up, but folded down its tricky. Pull-in spots are fine of course.

Thanks so much. When you mention range drop, I am assuming you're talking about when you are lugging the bikes around on the rack, correct? Not when the rack and the bikes are off, right?
Yes, I remove the entire rack and angle bolt (steep driveway won't allow even an extra 2") when not in use. The rack without bikes will also affect range, maybe 10-30% (everything will be speed dependent). Also, be advised that visibility is greatly reduced out the back window and backup camera. Moreover, constant beep warning when backing and difficulty supercharging (Tesla was stupidly kind enough to place the parking signs right in the center between the SC pedestals, which you can just barely straddle with two bikes, but not four.).

This is the seasucker.

Attachments

• 14979169078502148778443562065067.jpg
    14979169078502148778443562065067.jpg
    547.4 KB · Views: 313
  • 14979169333297311977649030046191.jpg
    14979169333297311977649030046191.jpg
    605.9 KB · Views: 252
  • 14979169545481068705752674583020.jpg
    14979169545481068705752674583020.jpg
    442.7 KB · Views: 270
Yes, I remove the entire rack and angle bolt (steep driveway won't allow even an extra 2") when not in use. The rack without bikes will also affect range, maybe 10-30% (everything will be speed dependent). Also, be advised that visibility is greatly reduced out the back window and backup camera. Moreover, constant beep warning when backing and difficulty supercharging (Tesla was stupidly kind enough to place the parking signs right in the center between the SC pedestals, which you can just barely straddle with two bikes, but not four.).

You can turn off the beeps (I keep them off all the time anyway) - and yes Tesla did perfectly center the signs which means you will have to angle your way in - on the east coast it doesn't matter - our superchargers aren't that busy - yet one the 3 comes out - we are probably going to have some crowding.

Xenoil, On a side note where are you riding? I have been doing the W&O in Shirlington or taking the trail through National into DC because I cant (dont know of) good trails in Fairfax proper. What trails do you recommend. This is my 2nd year riding so I was looking for other places to go

I had Torklift in Kent, WA install it. I figured they were as good as I could ask for since they engineered the thing and I picked up my first car in Seattle anyway. However, I'm getting another Model S in a couple days (yay!) and I haven't figured out where to have this one installed as Kent, WA is a long way from where I live and there are no certified installers anywhere near me either. Nor Tesla body shops. Since I'm in Idaho most people haven't even seen a Tesla, let alone worked on one, so I'm still figuring out what to do. I may use a seasucker in the meantime as I have a friend with one.

As for racks - I've used Thule T2s, and Kuats, but purchased a 1upusa rack actually as a 2 bike version can fit folded up IN THE TRUNKWELL. Sorry about caps, but I studied the heck out of this and it's super cool that it actually fits. Even easier if you disassemble into two pieces. Note I can only vouche for the regular ones - vs the "heavy duty" version which may be a tad bigger, not sure.

I had Torklift in Kent, WA install it. I figured they were as good as I could ask for since they engineered the thing and I picked up my first car in Seattle anyway. However, I'm getting another Model S in a couple days (yay!) and I haven't figured out where to have this one installed as Kent, WA is a long way from where I live and there are no certified installers anywhere near me either. Nor Tesla body shops. Since I'm in Idaho most people haven't even seen a Tesla, let alone worked on one, so I'm still figuring out what to do. I may use a seasucker in the meantime as I have a friend with one.

As for racks - I've used Thule T2s, and Kuats, but purchased a 1upusa rack actually as a 2 bike version can fit folded up IN THE TRUNKWELL. Sorry about caps, but I studied the heck out of this and it's super cool that it actually fits. Even easier if you disassemble into two pieces. Note I can only vouche for the regular ones - vs the "heavy duty" version which may be a tad bigger, not sure.
So I have been researching the Torklift EcoHitch and it looks like a great solution but here's a follow up question:

In some of the installation videos I saw that the installer had to cut out an oval shaped hole in the underside of the Model S. And then some folks recommended that Torklift also sells what they call an "Undercover" to cover up that hole when the hitch system is not in use. Now my problem is that I visit dirt roads quite often and having that "undercover" thing would be a must for me. But Torklift website says that that undercover is meant for only the 2012-2015 Model S. And my car is a 2016 Model S. So my question is that

1) What year Model S do you have?
2) If someone here has a 2016 Model S then how does one cover that hole?

Please let me know. Thank you very much.

Reactions: ig_epower
In some of the installation videos I saw that the installer had to cut out an oval shaped hole in the underside of the Model S. And then some folks recommended that Torklift also sells what they call an "Undercover" to cover up that hole when the hitch system is not in use. Now my problem is that I visit dirt roads quite often and having that "undercover" thing would be a must for me. But Torklift website says that that undercover is meant for only the 2012-2015 Model S. And my car is a 2016 Model S. So my question is that

My installation was on a 2013. I had a convo with the guy at Torklift that designed the cover. He lamented that some folks complained that it wasn't a perfect seal. It's not. I would call them and see if they have plans to make one for a 2016/17 and/or what the deal is. They are a small outfit. I have a hard time imagining them not being able to make one if there was demand; perhaps they've not had a newer model locally want one for them to fab up a new design. Seems like the old cover could maybe even be modified by a local machine/welding shop in your area to make it work. Regardless, I'm not sure I'd let the lack of a cover stop me from getting an Ecohitch.