Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bio-defense during hay fever season

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is peak grass pollen season here in Willamette Valley Oregon. If I am out in it, it's all kinds of not OK. In the S with Biodefense activated, its terrific. Really good. But I do have questions.

I assume that anytime outside air is pulled in, including biodefense off, it goes through full filtering? True?

Biodefense seams to insist that the fan is high and outside air is being pulled in (understandable). But why is the air conditioner required?

Lastly, with a biodefence capable car, is biodefence mode just a short cut? I could set all the settings independently and get exactly the same results?

• Informative
Reactions: emchen
Airconditiong does exactly just that - condition the air. The condensation created in the process at the evaporator also traps particulates in the air going into the cabin. The HEPA filter traps even more & bio-defense mode creates a positive air pressure in the car to stop pollutants from getting into the car.

I just re-read your post. I think you may be right and it's just a shortcut into putting all that into action.

Ran some experiments. When we change climate strings we can hear the airflow changes. Speed, location, channels all make different sounds. And my hearing is great (although my wife says I am hard of listening).

When I set all the settings as if biodefense were on, and then I turn it on, there is no changes heard.

When I set climate to be different and then turn biodefense on, I do hear and feel changes.

Coming out of biodefense sometimes is no change to settings and sounds. Sometimes the temperature automation or some such decided to change the settings.

In all cases, going in or out of biodefense when the settings match there is no change to sound or feel of the air.

Could still be something else going on. But I think I'll behave as if it's just a short cut and I can tune it as I wish.

You don't need to use the biodefens button. It's just to make a "pressure" inside your car.

The biodefens filter is seriously a lifesaver :)

Long-time allergy sufferer here...I agree with that. You can't sneeze with your eyes open, and if your eyes are closed it's pretty hard to drive safely.

(No biodefense mode in my Tesla, but the normal cabin air filter is pretty good compared to my last car.)

Bruce.

Long-time allergy sufferer here...I agree with that. You can't sneeze with your eyes open, and if your eyes are closed it's pretty hard to drive safely.

(No biodefense mode in my Tesla, but the normal cabin air filter is pretty good compared to my last car.)

Bruce.
I had a loaner without it. There was no comparison. I could still smell lots of exhaust. Maybe the filter was missing.

What about freshly mowed grass? I'm finding when driving past a mower, the filters are totally ineffective. Does anyone else where grass grows and gets mowed (Sorry CA drivers, Astro Turf doesn't cut it) find grass not being filtered?

I've read where filters have been installed with the seals not making a total seal. Don't know if I need to get it checked, or if all HEPA/carbon filter Tesla's fail to filter grass allergens.