Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who pays for the SVB lost assets?

All banks are required to buy federal deposit insurance. As with any insurance, the insurance company pays losses out of the money they receive in premiums. So when a bank fails, their own assets are liquidated, and then the balance is paid by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, which is funded by the banks paying for the insurance.

Just as if your car is in an accident the insurance company (yours or the other guy's) pays for the losses out of the premiums that you and all the other drivers have paid in.

Reactions: dm28997
My wallet and the recovery method used are secured.
I don't believe money lost comes out of thin air. Everyone will have to pay for this banking catastrophe. Insurance rates go up for everyone, shareholders and some debt holders lose all their money.
I don't understand why you say crypto is worse than fiat money. Another one of your opinions. Fine, go with that.

Reactions: ChooseFreedom
My wallet and the recovery method used are secured.

Secured how?

I don't believe money lost comes out of thin air.

And nobody claimed it did.

In fact I cited where the $ will come from.

FYI- A bank run is typically a short term liquidity crisis BTW-- it's not like SVB just ran off with 50 billion dollars or something and it's buried in a treasure chest nobody can reach. They generally HAVE nearly all the funds anyway.... just not all in immediately available liquid assets.

Much of it is in longer term treasury and mortgage instruments that if you hold them long enough you get the $ out of. But just as It's a Wonderful Life taught us, if everyone shows up RIGHT NOW wanting their $, it's not available.

That doesn't mean it never will be- and the folks buying their assets will probably do pretty well there.

Everyone will have to pay for this banking catastrophe.

They really won't.

Insurance rates go up for everyone

unless "everyone" owns a bank this is yet another fundamentally untrue claim you've posted in a long string of them.

Even then, RATES aren't going up, there'll just be a single one-time assessment to those banks if there's a significant net shortfall in the end.

, shareholders and some debt holders lose all their money.

You mean investors in the bank itself? Sure. Just like any investment there's always a risk of loss. That's kind of the deal- investment involves risk of loss to one degree or another.

Folks who "invested" in BTC at all time highs for example are still down massively.

I don't understand why you say crypto is worse than fiat money.

You literally just said it had to be converted back to fiat to actually be used.

Also we've pointed out multiple ways in which there's no protection from fraud, higher transaction fees, etc.

We've shown you lots of ways it's worse than fiat.

You've shown us none where it's better.

Reactions: JRP3
Secured how?

And nobody claimed it did.

In fact I cited where the $ will come from.

FYI- A bank run is typically a short term liquidity crisis BTW-- it's not like SVB just ran off with 50 billion dollars or something and it's buried in a treasure chest nobody can reach. They generally HAVE nearly all the funds anyway.... just not all in immediately available liquid assets.

Much of it is in longer term treasury and mortgage instruments that if you hold them long enough you get the $ out of. But just as It's a Wonderful Life taught us, if everyone shows up RIGHT NOW wanting their $, it's not available.

That doesn't mean it never will be- and the folks buying their assets will probably do pretty well there.

They really won't.

unless "everyone" owns a bank this is yet another fundamentally untrue claim you've posted in a long string of them.

You mean investors in the bank itself? Sure. Just like any investment there's always a risk of loss. That's kind of the deal- investment involves risk of loss to one degree or another.

Folks who "invested" in BTC at all time highs for example are still down massively.

You literally just said it had to be converted back to fiat to actually be used.

Also we've pointed out multiple ways in which there's no protection from fraud, higher transaction fees, etc.

We've shown you lots of ways it's worse than fiat.

You've shown us none where it's better.
I certainly will post how I secure my Wallet NOT.
I don't see how it is worse than fiat.

I wonder how much energy is in use by using cash, printing cash, security, credit cards, banks, atms, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ChooseFreedom
I certainly will post how I secure my Wallet NOT.

Probably because you know your $ could be stolen and you'd have no recourse- unlike real money in a real bank....and you're aware no method you could post for how you secure it would change that fact- and that fact is yet another way crypto stored any way is worse than actual real money in an actual real bank.

I don't see how it is worse than fiat.

There's only so much I can do.

I can write those answers for you (and have, as have others- listing many (though hardly all) of the reasons it's worse), but I can't understand them for you- only you can try to do that.

Extra weird though that one of the ways it's worse you cited, and JPR3 quoted it and pointed it out to you, and you still claim you can't see how.

"they can print as much as they want, but also they can't possibly backstop all bank deposits with access this access to *checks notes* infinity money.... so we should all switch to a thing that is...terrible as currency and is backstopped by literally nothing"

Yeah, that makes sense.

Even better, his tweet immediately following his outright lie that "Fed is launching their CBDC in July" is to admit what happens in July is:

"not technically a CBDC, and is a step towards a CBDC."

Sure, he TECHNICALLY lied as part of his BTC pump, but it's totes a step TOWARD the boogeyman in his doomsday scenario!

I was going to ask what a CBDC is, but I decided to google it

"Central bank money" refers to money that is a liability of the central bank. In the United States, there are currently two types of central bank money: physical currency issued by the Federal Reserve and digital balances held by commercial banks at the Federal Reserve.

While Americans have long held money predominantly in digital form—for example in bank accounts, payment apps or through online transactions—a CBDC would differ from existing digital money available to the general public because a CBDC would be a liability of the Federal Reserve, not of a commercial bank.

In other words, it would be an almost insignificant change from what we have now.
a liability of the Federal Reserve, not of a commercial bank.

Ordinary people probably would not even notice the difference.

And from:

While the Federal Reserve has made no decisions on whether to pursue or implement a central bank digital currency, or CBDC, we have been exploring the potential benefits and risks of CBDCs from a variety of angles, including through technological research and experimentation. Our key focus is on whether and how a CBDC could improve on an already safe and efficient U.S. domestic payments system.

As for "infinite money," the Fed regulates the money supply according to well-established principles of economics. Economics is not an exact science and they'll never hit their precise targets, but they're not going to have "infinite money" because that would be catastrophic.

Of course if anybody believes that the Fed or the government in general wants to ruin itself on purpose, then maybe they need to get their meds adjusted.

• Informative
Reactions: Buckminster
Doesn’t crypto generally follow the market? And if we’re assuming a recession on the horizon, I can only foresee the market, hence crypto being dragged down? 🤔

Crypto is a classic Ponzi scheme: Somebody creates a concept that others can buy into; people buy into it with the hope that at a future time somebody else will buy it from them for more money than they paid. As long as more people can be convinced to buy in, the early adopters get richer and richer. It takes its entire value from the willingness of people to keep buying into it, and from the willingness of people to hold onto it. If that ever changes, the value collapses, because there's nothing underlying it. Stocks are underlaid by the companies they represent, companies which make stuff or provide services. Bonds are promises to pay set amounts of money at set times. National currencies are backed by their governments, and as long as a government maintains responsible monetary policy, its money will be accepted in return for goods and services. (Some governments are better at this than others.) But crypto has nothing underlying it but the hope that somebody else will buy your coins for more than you paid. And because the supply of crypto is unregulated, its value is extremely volatile.

If somebody gave me some crypto I'd cash it out for actual money as quick as I possibly could.

• Helpful
Reactions: Sofie
Doesn’t crypto generally follow the market? And if we’re assuming a recession on the horizon, I can only foresee the market, hence crypto being dragged down? 🤔
The short answer is "we don't know". This is the first time since the first crypto was created that there is a bit of market panic. If a few more banks fall then people may see it as a hedge against suddenly risky bank deposits. However if other asset prices drop significantly then people may sell their crypto to buy real world assets.

It's an interesting time to see how this new asset class will react.

• Informative
The supply of crypto is regulated by math. Unlike dollar which is regulated by very fallible humans and have a history of greatly inflating the supply.
Can't humans decide to "burn" some crypto at any time, changing the number in circulation and thus the value?

Burning cryptocurrency is a popular method of boosting the value of a coin or token. Token burning removes coins from circulation, permanently decreasing the overall supply of the cryptocurrency. This helps to increase scarcity and raise the value of each remaining coin, which is crucial for coins that can be mined quickly.

The supply of crypto is regulated by math. Unlike dollar which is regulated by very fallible humans and have a history of greatly inflating the supply.

The supply of crypto is not regulated. It is fixed. The Great Depression was exacerbated to a huge degree by the world's being on the gold standard. The amount of gold is basically fixed. More is always being mined, but the amount is what it is. It cannot be adjusted when more or less is needed to fit economic conditions. Too much money chasing too few goods, or too little money being available to buy a surplus of goods, are both disastrous to the economy. It was the latter that turned the great Depression from a bad thing into a disaster. It was deflation, not inflation, that collapsed the economy during the Gread Depression. The supply of crypto is always growing slowly, but it cannot be adjusted to provide the right amount for the economic conditions. And in fact, a rapid rise in the value of money is as bad as a rapid fall. When the value of money rises (deflation) nobody invests (they don't need to because their money is going up in value) and the entire economy grinds to a halt.

As noted above, some governments are and/or have been bad at regulating the money supply. But an unregulated money supply is no better than an incompetent regulatory system.

... If a few more banks fall then people may see it as a hedge against suddenly risky bank deposits. ...

There is zero risk to bank deposits in the U.S. and other western nations. They are insured by the governments. The FDIC in the U.S. and similar agencies in other countries. SVB failed and the FDIC got all depositors their money back.

Notably, SVB failed, NOT because of a bank run. There was no bank run on SVB. It failed due to bad management: SVB had a relatively small number of very large depositors, holding liquid accounts (i.e. SVB had an obligation to give them their money any time they wanted) and it put most of that money into long-term government bonds (i.e. it could not get its money on short notice except by selling those bonds.) When interest rates rose, the market value of the bonds went down. They were still entirely safe, but they were illiquid. SVB therefore did not have enough available reserves to meet demands, and was insolvent. So the FDIC shut it down.

Nobody's deposits were at risk. The bank's stockholders lost, and I think the bank's bondholders as well. But not its depositors.

When a crypto exchange fails, the depositors lose everything.

Finally, when investors are looking for a safe place to put their money, they don't go to volatile, unsecured, fraud-riddled crypto. They go to Treasury bills and bonds. Conspiracy theorists who think the government is trying to create some sort of dystopia, or who believe the quasi-religious dogma that "government can't do anything right" go to crypto or to gold and silver. Ordinary investors go to Treasuries.

Nobody who knows anything at all about economics sees crypto as anything other than a high-risk speculation with the possibility of high rewards, or big losses.

• Helpful
The supply of crypto is not regulated. It is fixed. The Great Depression was exacerbated to a huge degree by the world's being on the gold standard. The amount of gold is basically fixed. More is always being mined, but the amount is what it is. It cannot be adjusted when more or less is needed to fit economic conditions. Too much money chasing too few goods, or too little money being available to buy a surplus of goods, are both disastrous to the economy. It was the latter that turned the great Depression from a bad thing into a disaster. It was deflation, not inflation, that collapsed the economy during the Gread Depression. The supply of crypto is always growing slowly, but it cannot be adjusted to provide the right amount for the economic conditions. And in fact, a rapid rise in the value of money is as bad as a rapid fall. When the value of money rises (deflation) nobody invests (they don't need to because their money is going up in value) and the entire economy grinds to a halt.

As noted above, some governments are and/or have been bad at regulating the money supply. But an unregulated money supply is no better than an incompetent regulatory system.

There is zero risk to bank deposits in the U.S. and other western nations. They are insured by the governments. The FDIC in the U.S. and similar agencies in other countries. SVB failed and the FDIC got all depositors their money back.

Notably, SVB failed, NOT because of a bank run. There was no bank run on SVB. It failed due to bad management: SVB had a relatively small number of very large depositors, holding liquid accounts (i.e. SVB had an obligation to give them their money any time they wanted) and it put most of that money into long-term government bonds (i.e. it could not get its money on short notice except by selling those bonds.) When interest rates rose, the market value of the bonds went down. They were still entirely safe, but they were illiquid. SVB therefore did not have enough available reserves to meet demands, and was insolvent. So the FDIC shut it down.

Nobody's deposits were at risk. The bank's stockholders lost, and I think the bank's bondholders as well. But not its depositors.

Finally, when investors are looking for a safe place to put their money, they don't go to volatile, unsecured, fraud-riddled crypto. They go to Treasury bills and bonds. Conspiracy theorists who think the government is trying to create some sort of dystopia, or who believe the quasi-religious dogma that "government can't do anything right" go to crypto or to gold and silver. Ordinary investors go to Treasuries.

Nobody who knows anything at all about economics sees crypto as anything other than a high-risk speculation with the possibility of high rewards, or big losses.
You are far too certain when trying to predict the future.

Reactions: willow_hiller

Fixed=constant. Some cryptos are fixed, many are disinflationary(like bitcoin), some deflationary, some wildly inflationary. Some even change by consensus (like dogecoin that went from wildly inflationary to deflationary), some don't allow change(like bitcoin)

Regarding what would have happened or not during the great depression we don't know as we didn't run the control group in the experiment. I would think that after the "Great Moderation" and the time after people would be more humble regarding monetary policies effect on preventing and/or creating crisis.

The nice thing with crypto is that you don't need to have your money at the bank. You are the bank. There are also multisignature ways of storing money at the bank without the bank being able to do anything with your money without your permission. You can also create banks that work as a contract with code you can inspect before you deposit at them.