Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black Exterior Door Jambs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Collected my M3 LR AWD today from Heathrow.

Car is mostly fine w.r.to paint. But wanted to compare if the door jambs for Black colour M3 looks as mine on all or me just being worry some.
Any Black M3 owners can confirm.
IMG_20190903_144048_exported_180081972736961708.jpg IMG_20190903_143852_exported_1656708127031169292.jpg
Thanks

Hi,

Collected my M3 LR AWD today from Heathrow.

Car is mostly fine w.r.to paint. But wanted to compare if the door jambs for Black colour M3 looks as mine on all or me just being worry some.
Any Black M3 owners can confirm.
View attachment 449790 View attachment 449791
Thanks
Mine isn't as "bad" as that but there is thin paint in that position. It appears to be fairly common but not exactly right for a £50k + car. We also have some thin paint on the boot hinges. What I don't know and can't get any definitive advice on, is whether this actually poses a problem or not. The delivery centre said "no problem" but then they seem to be knocking back a lot of things. For sure the primer is there but is it enough to inhibit corrosion longer term?

I'd be very keen to hear what Tesla say about your car if you're able to post back please.

Cheers

That looks atrocious!! Surely when you buy a black car that means black "all over". Not just the visible bits. Quite frankly - I'm appalled. I would definitely complain, in the strongest terms, about this. Is your 7 days up?

Last edited:
Mine isn't as "bad" as that but there is thin paint in that position. It appears to be fairly common but not exactly right for a £50k + car. We also have some thin paint on the boot hinges. What I don't know and can't get any definitive advice on, is whether this actually poses a problem or not. The delivery centre said "no problem" but then they seem to be knocking back a lot of things. For sure the primer is there but is it enough to inhibit corrosion longer term?

I'd be very keen to hear what Tesla say about your car if you're able to post back please.

Cheers

Exactly my point. My 10 years old C class got more paint than this brand new car

That looks atrocious!! Surely when you buy a black car that means black "all over". Not just the visible bits. Quite frankly - I'm appalled. I would definitely complain, in the strongest terms, about this. Is your 7 days up?

I have picked this today only. Should have checked while in the Service Centre. But I don't think it was visible under the lights.

Booked a service appointment let's see what Tesla say

Cheers

Sure will post back. I wanted to get feedback from current black colour owners for comparison.

Whilst I don’t have one, from what I have read over the past few years from us drivers this is just how there are. There is one specific place where everyone’s is really bad but I can’t remember where. Possibly under the bonnet?

My door jams. Pitch Black with full covering. Yours appear to be missing the plastic caps over the forming holes as well
That's what I would expect.

it seems ridiculous that we even have to have this conversation on a car of this value. I know people moan whenever someone says "it's a £50k car", talking about how the base price is much less, but you pretty much won't see this on ANY car currently on the road, regardless of value. There's no excuse at all for not fully painting any part of the car on the topside.

How are you even supposed to resolve this with Tesla? It's obviously yet another thing one has to check when picking up, but beyond that - what do you do? It would have to go into a bodyshop, etc, assuming Tesla even accept that it's a problem, I've read elsewhere on here that responses are completely variable (i.e. that they say "this is normal", etc)

The trunk should not look like that.

You have the right under the consumer goods act to return a product which is not fit for purpose. (UK) Your paint job is just that. They will be obligated to take it in and respray the uncovered areas completely.

The reason I got a black one was that it would be the easiest to match if repairs needed to be made to the paint later, so you have that in your favour.

Your car does look particularly poorly painted.

In the bright sun today, mine actually looks a bit worse than I thought originally. It's fine where the door hinges attach to the bulkhead (sorry for any incorrect terminology) but behind that towards the front and which you can see when the door is wide open, it looks quite dodgy. I've seen quite a lot of examples like this now unfortunately. Keen to hear what Tesla say - the SC said "no problem" when I first raised it but was it a fob off? And yes, the car needs a clean!

IMG_20190904_140722.jpg