Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black Exterior Door Jambs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the bright sun today, mine actually looks a bit worse than I thought originally. It's fine where the door hinges attach to the bulkhead (sorry for any incorrect terminology) but behind that towards the front and which you can see when the door is wide open, it looks quite dodgy. I've seen quite a lot of examples like this now unfortunately. Keen to hear what Tesla say - the SC said "no problem" when I first raised it but was it a fob off? And yes, the car needs a clean!

View attachment 450329

Hi Yes this exactly how mine looks like. Probably SC will say this is fine in my case too.

Did you check under trunk?? If not please check. You need to twist your body a bit to get under and to have a good look. :)

Hi Yes this exactly how mine looks like. Probably SC will say this is fine in my case too.

Did you check under trunk?? If not please check. You need to twist your body a bit to get under and to have a good look. :)
Yes, trunk same as yours. I'm about to ping another service request in. At least if they say it's "normal" then at least I'll have a reference point if sh1t happens. I think you can also send pics on the app now. Next week it's going in for full PPF etc - the bloke we've chosen is very good but he'll struggle to wrap in there! I'll post back when I get an answer - please do same.
Cheers

Reactions: uday
I wouldn't get PPF done while the car is like that. I'd be harassing Tesla to do something about it, not least of which because there is evidence that not every car is like that, so it's definitely not "normal". @bjbrown's car is an example of one in the UK that is correct (yours is even missing the rubber caps, as he says).

I'd probably even consider getting a bodyshop to rectify it if Tesla won't play ball. It looks awful, sorry to say, and ridiculous on any car much less a £35k+ one.

I wouldn't get PPF done while the car is like that. I'd be harassing Tesla to do something about it, not least of which because there is evidence that not every car is like that, so it's definitely not "normal". @bjbrown's car is an example of one in the UK that is correct (yours is even missing the rubber caps, as he says).

I'd probably even consider getting a bodyshop to rectify it if Tesla won't play ball. It looks awful, sorry to say, and ridiculous on any car much less a £35k+ one.
No, will be holding off on the PPF until we get assurances or fixes. My feeling is that most owners aren't looking in the right place. With my door positioned the same as the guy above who reports all is well, all does look OK. However, if you open the door fully and look from outside towards the front bulkhead, then you see it. Pretty sure many owners haven't actually looked in there closely enough.

Reactions: uday and MP3Mike
To be fair it wouldn't be something most would expect to need to check on a car built in the last quarter of a century or more.
Agreed, but there is a track record here and diligence is required. Tesla don't have this bit of their process right yet it would seem. It's a shame as the rest of the car is streets ahead of anything else I've owned (BMW, Merc, Audi).

Thank you. I am not completely sure if that is correct as, from the angle of the picture that @bjbrown kindly posted ( not trying to be a critic), my car looks okay. Probably I haven't communicated to him about the best angle to look at the paint.

Thank you. I am not completely sure if that is correct as, from the angle of the picture that @bjbrown kindly posted ( not trying to be a critic), my car looks okay. Probably I haven't communicated to him about the best angle to look at the paint.

Yes, mine too - it's the bit behind this where very few seem to be looking!

I've had a response from Tesla service in Brum and I've sent some photos. They wanted me to come down (I'm in Derby) in 5 weeks time just for a check but I've said that's not acceptable and that the pics show all that is needed to make a remote diagnosis. If they can't provide a credible answer and some reassurance, then ideally I'd want them to book me into a reputable body shop up here. I can help them with that. I'll report back when I hear.
Cheers

Reactions: Durzel
Agreed. Only way a robot would miss those spots is if it was programmed to, and that doesn't square away with the fact that not everyone is experiencing this problem. I'm inclined to think it's a human spraying them too.

I still haven't seen any pictures showing people aren't having this. (The one is this thread is of a different spot/angle.)

They are all like this because the car is painted with the doors on.

Reactions: Milky
An update from Tesla - as expected, no deal for re-working. I've basically said I'm not happy but that I'm taking their response as a guarantee that the thin paint won't cause any problems down the track. I'll need to keep an eye on it. Please let me know if they say similar to you - if you get a better response, I'll have another pop at them. Hopefully they know better than our local body shop paint chappie :( Cheers.

"Good afternoon - unfortunately I don’t believe we will be able to do anything further with this as paint that is on hinges/hidden by another panel is not covered by warranty.

We have confirmed with the technical teams that this is within standard, The car is fully protected by its E-coat layer which provides the vehicle with its weather and corrosion protection.

It looks like the holes are manufacturing holes and do not have covers/plugs
"

I have an update from SC.

It is normal for the door jabs to not be painted with a topcoat. The vehicle has gone through a "body in white" stage where the entire chassis is submerged in a coating to protect against corrosion. We are not able to paint this for you.
All Model 3s come with the underside of the boot compartment exposed.

I think we are okay. I did compare this with a couple of recently registered BMW 5 series vehicles and they are like that.
But my 10-year old C class got a perfect black color finish at every place. May be some manufacturers are moving towards these new ways of coloring :confused:

With respect to the trunk, again it is same as above.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I have an update from SC.

I think we are okay. I did compare this with a couple of recently registered BMW 5 series vehicles and they are like that.
But my 10-year old C class got a perfect black color finish at every place. May be some manufacturers are moving towards these new ways of coloring :confused:

With respect to the trunk, again it is same as above.
I'm starting to think like you i.e. it is "standard" albeit a bit shabby. I've also seen posts online where it crops up on Mercs and BMW. So for now I'll move on, fingers crossed and just keep an eye on it. Cheers and enjoy the car!