Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black Friday Specials on Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OP, absolutely do wait for end-of-quarter deals. They happen all the time.

History’s shown deals are had around EOQ. The whole “Tesla doesn’t do discounts” is a proven line of crap, and the “acid test” statement from Musk that was quoted above was in direct reference to the controversy over the 2016 EOQ3 fire sale, where brand new cars with the wrappers on them were seeing discounts of $10k+, inventory/loaner P90DLs with low miles for $30k off, and limited-time 2 year leasing where people were getting these P models for ~$7500 down and well under $1k a month.

I rarely ever throw disagree ratings around, but you sound like a straight up salesman right here. Or Elon Musk. Same thing.

Uhh wtf? I don't know why you would call me out, but Tesla has literally never had a discount on a custom ordered car, which is what the OP asked about. Inventory cars are a totally different situation and the showroom discounts on those are well documented in this thread.

The only time a custom ordered car gets a discount is if Tesla does a price-drop on the vehicle or a major change between the time that you ordered and the time that it's delivered to you, and they do generally honor those discounts so not to worry. My original statement stands, if you want a car this year and it's a custom order, then place the order now. There won't be a special by the end of the year that you wouldn't get anyway, which is unlikely to begin with.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Elon's Musk "There can never -- and I mean never -- be a discount on a new car coming out of the factory in pristine condition,"

There are a ridiculous number of examples (a sizeable portion of inventory vehicles are in new and pristine condition) that represent discounts on new cars "coming out of the factory in pristine condition."

Only time I am aware of a discount on a custom ordered car was Q3 2016 when the $1,200 document and destination fees were temporarily waived.

Uhh wtf? I don't know why you would call me out, but Tesla has literally never had a discount on a custom ordered car, which is what the OP asked about. Inventory cars are a totally different situation and the showroom discounts on those are well documented in this thread..

I think my wording may have led to some miscommunication. When I said "order car" I was referring to putting money down on an inventory car, pre production car, or custom order (not just a custom order). Maybe there's better terminology for this, but I feel that my wording may be part of the reason your initial answer was what it was.

So based on what I meant to ask, I think it's pretty clear that Tesla has previously and currently does offer discounts on new cars (inventory and preproduction presently), and people do pay different amounts for the same car.

I suppose Elon could reasonably explain this price difference and say to "Mr. Custom-Order," "the reason that "Mr. Inventory-Order" got a discount is he had to choose from a limited selection of options and was available, but you got to choose the exact configuration of your car.

I think my wording may have led to some miscommunication. When I said "order car" I was referring to putting money down on an inventory car, pre production car, or custom order (not just a custom order). Maybe there's better terminology for this, but I feel that my wording may be part of the reason your initial answer was what it was.

So based on what I meant to ask, I think it's pretty clear that Tesla has previously and currently does offer discounts on new cars (inventory and preproduction presently), and people do pay different amounts for the same car.

I suppose Elon could reasonably explain this price difference and say to "Mr. Custom-Order," "the reason that "Mr. Inventory-Order" got a discount is he had to choose from a limited selection of options and was available, but you got to choose the exact configuration of your car.

I just bought an inventory test drive X with 808 miles on it with a $6K discount :cool:

Reactions: Olds442
When a never-driven inventory car appears with exactly the features of one’s preferred custom order, and the former is offered at a significant discount (and no wait), the lines do blur.

Stating that discounts and other purchase incentives do not occur is just false. Blatantly, outright false. Otherwise known as lying. Those who make such statements should have “Rah RAH sis boom BAH - GoooOOO TEAM!” tattooed across their precious widdle fanboy/gurl foreheads *and* their sigs.

You put a smile on my face with your optimism
But alas, they has never happened. You should have done this while the $1000 purchase credit code was still valid...
If I were you, I would order right now -using a referral code for free unlimited supercharging (I assume you already have one? - to get your Tesla still this year, and $7500 back from the IRS in a month or two.
Best, Mick

This is what I have done. I started to order a custom 75D and then found a new inventory (50 miles) S with basically exactly what I was looking for. A bonus was that the car was local enough that there was no delivery fee added. Got the referral code for free supercharging and I feel better knowing the $7500 tax rebate is locked-in for 2017. The custom order had a February delivery and getting that $7500 in 2018 seems a long ways away. Should be brought to my house in 5 (long) days!

Reactions: Quick2Judge
I'm working with an OA right now on buying an inventory vehicle - just a basic S75. The ones offered to me have no discount associated to them, and they are actually still being built at the factory. I was advised I am better off with the factory S75, since any discounted showroom / demo stock at my price point would basically be the same thing. The discounted stock is usually upper tier, like the S100s.

If you're saying that I can get $3000 off of my S75 candidates, I'd like to know how!

It IS possible! I got mine for $77,900 shipped straight from the factory, originally $80,000 MSRP. Incentives are mainly given based off of time, my car was built in August, but spent a couple months waiting to get shipped out. It has the typical 50 miles on it from the factory, and nothing more. Was originally intended to be a showroom car in Raleigh, NC.

It IS possible! I got mine for $77,900 shipped straight from the factory, originally $80,000 MSRP. Incentives are mainly given based off of time, my car was built in August, but spent a couple months waiting to get shipped out. It has the typical 50 miles on it from the factory, and nothing more. Was originally intended to be a showroom car in Raleigh, NC.

Very nice. I've had to put my buying plans on hold until next month to take care of some life events, but that does give me some time to look for those kinds of deals. I wonder if we'll start seeing more as the quarter closes out.

Closest to a “Black Friday” deal! My OA just sent this model S to me with an $18k adjustment. 427 miles. If anyone is interested, let me know.

Attachments

• 64EDFB1D-B891-45FB-8C23-150E78B1587D.png
    64EDFB1D-B891-45FB-8C23-150E78B1587D.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 116
  • Informative
Reactions: SnowFlyer
Very nice. I've had to put my buying plans on hold until next month to take care of some life events, but that does give me some time to look for those kinds of deals. I wonder if we'll start seeing more as the quarter closes out.

No worries! Many times people authorize their OA to purchase the car that fits their options on their behalf, and then notify them of it. This is due to the fact that when deals like this crop up, they don't often last long. If you're able to make the deadline, and KNOW you want a Tesla, see if you can get a delivery before the new year. They'll move heaven and earth to make it work for you! No point in missing out on the 7,500 credit for the 2017 tax year, especially with it on the chopping block. Good luck!

Reactions: BinaryField