Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black Vue DR650S-2ch $249 Today Only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone school me on this.

I have the 650S..latest one installed

I want to view the "live" or prerecorded vids from a whole different location miles away.

I do not want to buy/pay for a hotspot to go inside the car and the car isn't near a Wi-Fi signal.

So if I buy the "cloud" space etc is there a way to view my vids/live? Or another solution.

Only downside I have is the night vision. I was hoping that even in pure dark the camera could pick up people etc. Like my home video surveillance. It's just pitch black till a light comes on or goes by.

Can someone school me on this.

I have the 650S..latest one installed

I want to view the "live" or prerecorded vids from a whole different location miles away.

I do not want to buy/pay for a hotspot to go inside the car and the car isn't near a Wi-Fi signal.

So if I buy the "cloud" space etc is there a way to view my vids/live? Or another solution.

Only downside I have is the night vision. I was hoping that even in pure dark the camera could pick up people etc. Like my home video surveillance. It's just pitch black till a light comes on or goes by.

No, cloud upload is not going to work without a wifi connection. So, you will need wifi where its sitting or a hot spot.
Blackvue is preparing to release a new one. The new one is a Model DR650LS. I don't know what the differences are in its features versus the other most recent. It was due to be available in mid Feb and now has been pushed to end of March so Pittasoft has emailed me.

I guess this is why we are seeing some $100+ discounts on the current 650 these days. I think these on sale are an excellent value, even if they are soon to be the second most recent version. So what?

With a new one about to be released, I believe there's going to be many deals on the current shelf stock from many different vendors. Hopefully we will see post about them in time to get one. But just be watching.

Any idea what is changed on the new one? Anything specific that is expected?

I've been looking at dashcams, and I feel like you'd really need 4k for any good video quality enough to read distant license plates etc. With GoPro Hero Session starting at $199, being able to record 1080p60 and 1440p30, and the more expensive models recording 4Kp30 with Video stabilization and auto uploading to Cloud, I'd rather wait for 4K on Dashcams before I buy.

The form factor for the Blackvue 650LS is not the same as the Blackvue 650GW and 650S. Blackvue has had a 2 ch full HD dashcam for a while, but the front camera is a rectangular box with on screen menu. The 650LS looks like it updates another one of their camera with that form factor. In any event here's a link of Blackvue's site for the manual for the 650LS if you want to check it out: DR650LS-2CH Manual English - BlackVue

I spoke with a reseller for them a few weeks ago and asked about 2ch full HD on the S model and they said from what they've seen so far from Pittasoft, it didn't appear so. Maybe there's another one coming down the road for the 650GW/650S but doesn't appear to be yet. Who knows. In the meantime we feel the need to add a dash cam to our car now and this deal at B&H was a great one. We're sticking with the 650S for the reasons we bought it in the first place.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1tsla
I did notice that the 490L has a rear Full HD camera that is sold separately and wondered if it could be swapped out for the current rear camera on the 650S. Hubby didn't know if the 650S software would support it. Saw the 490L rear being sold for $99. Didn't pursue checking out the swap any further but still has me wondering. I'd happily spend the $99 on top of the savings I got on this B&H deal to get full HD on both ;) if it worked.

Reactions: DÆrik
I did notice that the 490L has a rear Full HD camera that is sold separately and wondered if it could be swapped out for the current rear camera on the 650S. Hubby didn't know if the 650S software would support it. Saw the 490L rear being sold for $99. Didn't pursue checking out the swap any further but still has me wondering. I'd happily spend the $99 on top of the savings I got on this B&H deal to get full HD on both ;) if it worked.

If the wires will still be the same for the new 650LS I might buy it to try out, especially if it has rear full HD!

Thanks Erik

Reactions: JohnnyG
Erik actually it was the rear 1080p camera for the DR750LW-2ch that I saw sold separately, not the DR490L version. However the DR750LW-2ch (with optional GPS to the main camera) was replaced by the newer DR490L-2ch model (due out early April). The DR750LW-2ch supports dual 1080p recording, like the DR490L. So might be a possibility still? Sending you my links for the info. Please let us know what you find out.

Last edited:
The form factor for the Blackvue 650LS is not the same as the Blackvue 650GW and 650S. Blackvue has had a 2 ch full HD dashcam for a while, but the front camera is a rectangular box with on screen menu. The 650LS looks like it updates another one of their camera with that form factor. In any event here's a link of Blackvue's site for the manual for the 650LS if you want to check it out: DR650LS-2CH Manual English - BlackVue

I spoke with a reseller for them a few weeks ago and asked about 2ch full HD on the S model and they said from what they've seen so far from Pittasoft, it didn't appear so. Maybe there's another one coming down the road for the 650GW/650S but doesn't appear to be yet. Who knows. In the meantime we feel the need to add a dash cam to our car now and this deal at B&H was a great one. We're sticking with the 650S for the reasons we bought it in the first place.
SMAIset is correct about a different form factor. That model was the 750. It did not seem very popular. You can find it on Amazon with a quick search.

As for features on the new 650LS? I've not been able to get any info from the person at Pittasoft that I have been emailing. But with so many products everywhere else trying to factor in IoT, I think the LS will have more wifi/cloud features.

I guess everyone realizes that even a 2 channel dashcam leaves us vulnerable. Especially parked, you can't see what's coming at you from the left or right. Yes a 2 channel shows us front and back, but I want 360. I've been lobbying Blackvue for a while now saying that we need/they should manufacturer a 4 channel. (Some people are installing two 550's or 650's for the same effect. I want a 650 4 channel.

If you agree this would be a hand option, join me. Go to blackvue.com and email them under contact us and tell them you want a 4 channel solution. Please.

Reactions: JohnnyG and 1tsla
SMAIset is correct about a different form factor. That model was the 750. It did not seem very popular. You can find it on Amazon with a quick search.

As for features on the new 650LS? I've not been able to get any info from the person at Pittasoft that I have been emailing. But with so many products everywhere else trying to factor in IoT, I think the LS will have more wifi/cloud features.

I guess everyone realizes that even a 2 channel dashcam leaves us vulnerable. Especially parked, you can't see what's coming at you from the left or right. Yes a 2 channel shows us front and back, but I want 360. I've been lobbying Blackvue for a while now saying that we need/they should manufacturer a 4 channel. (Some people are installing two 550's or 650's for the same effect. I want a 650 4 channel.

If you agree this would be a hand option, join me. Go to blackvue.com and email them under contact us and tell them you want a 4 channel solution. Please.

The link I posted above (#32) to the DR650LS-2ch, although it says it was an English version, is only partially in English right now. Probably still working on the product literature before release. Guessing since they are a Korean company, the majority of it is in that language. The screen shots of the apps are in English and most of the diagrams are in English. Many companies typically don't provide much info prior to launch so this was the best I could find. It's from their site and in a pdf format with photos and diagrams etc. Maybe you can discern details from it. The photo of the product on the front page of the manual labels it as Blackvue Over the Cloud, so sure that is the main feature change. Probably bringing it in line with the cloud features of the DR650S-2ch. It still shows a plug-in GPS portion (was optional on the prior model, not sure about this one). For the life of me looking at their diagram where they show it installed and positioned like the DR650S (behind the front mirror from the driver's perspective), I can't figure out how you are suppose to see the video screen with the mirror in front of it. :confused:

Also in that DR650LS model it shows the wiring to the back camera running along the driver's side. From what I've read on the forum here, with MS' you don't want to do that as it will interfere with the car's other wiring that is located on the driver's side and you'll end up with your GPS coordinates being off--instead you'd want to run wiring down the passenger side. Maybe someone who's already installed Blackvues in their MS can comment on this for any new people buying it and getting ready to install it??

Last edited: