Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black Vue DR650S-2ch $249 Today Only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So some quick research shows that thieves are more interested in finding laptops and tablets but not so much in getting myfi type hotspot devices as they are pretty much worthless if stolen.

I'm more worried about the blackvue because if it's stolen even though the cloud feature would be unusable, except as means for me to locate my stolen dash cam and see live video of the thieves, it would still be usable as a wifi only dashcam.

The ipad acting as a hotspot should appear as a hotspot which is not really worth anything.

Reactions: Akikiki
Very nice to know! I suppose they'd need to be aware when a car has a native hotspot built in. Wonder if I should rename my hotspot on my ipad to TeslaHotspot or something like that.

Are they scanning for SSIDs? What if I hide it? I suppose a savvy thief will still be able to see a signal even if they can't see the name?

On the subject of bad guys scanning wifi for your hotspot, I would name my ipad or hotspot to something like Lexus or BMW so they would be looking for those cars in the parking lot and not realize mine was under their noses. Can you spell Decoy? :)

Last edited:
This is a bit off topic, but when you install a dash cam like this in the Tesla. Is it only able to draw power from the 12 V battery, or can it also draw from the car's main battery ? I would imagine the voltage won't work, but just want to check . Thanks.

This is a bit off topic, but when you install a dash cam like this in the Tesla. Is it only able to draw power from the 12 V battery, or can it also draw from the car's main battery ? I would imagine the voltage won't work, but just want to check . Thanks.

It only draws from the 12 v accessory battery which itself is recharged 6 times a day from the main battery. The cars systems draw about 70 watts continuously. The BlackVue adds about 5 watts to that which increases the recharge frequency a small fraction.

The Tesla is one of the very few cars that doesn't need an auto off device like a Power Magic Pro to prevent you from draining the 12 volt battery.