Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BlackView Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Group

Looked for this for awhile and could not find

Going to hook up a older black view 500 wifi unit from my dodge ram

I was told there was a constant power hook up under the rear view mirror cover

Does anybody have a photo of this

How does the cover pop off to locate this

I tried to pop off the cover on my volt and broke a tab...thus I ask first.

Thanks

Thursday is coming.....I got a Tesla..

Also, I plan to tint my car including the windshield, should the install wait till the windshield is tinted or do before so I can attach directly to windshield.

PS 2013 solid roof

The below links seem to be the most helpful with the install using the power hookup on the rearview mirror plate.

Tesla Model S BlackVue HD Dashcam Installation Guide - TESLARATI.com
Dual Channel Dash Cams for your Tesla | Tesla Living
Dashboard Camera Install | Forums | Tesla Motors

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I should be more careful next time, TeslaTap is the best resource for dashcam install:

Dash Cam | TeslaTap

The other resources use the ODB-II port which I don't feel is clean, but necessary if you don't have an older VIN car.

TThe other resources use the ODB-II port which I don't feel is clean, but necessary if you don't have an older VIN car.

The really old VIN cars also have the connector behind the microphone grille too. I used it for my dash cam. Tesla removed it, then re-introduced it again. I'd love to know why. The car I test drove in 2012 had visor mirror lights and I was told that when my car was delivered without them, it was because they were being re-designed and would be retro-fitted. That connector was supposedly for the visor mirror lights. When Tesla decided there would be no mirror lights, that connector went away. Why it came back is a mystery to me.

I'm a bit confused about this Blackvue install. All the unboxing videos show that the power cord is connected to a cigarette adapter. Are people splicing this cord and fixing an adapter to plug into the 12V plug in the microphone panel? If people are using a female cigarette adapter, does that fit into the microphone panel area?

The TeslaTap site is helpful, but it suggests that there is some splicing of wires necessary unless I've read it incorrectly.

To splicing Yes
If there is power then there is no need to run the wires down the pillar to the fuse box or 12 volt source
Having power on all the time is great when leaving the car.
I plan on doing this shortly, or attempting this.
just got my car back and im about two weeks out from going there.
Thanks for the info, hope I have the plug.

The center speaker grill on top of rearview mirror can be pulled off with just your fingers. If you have the 12v plug then inside is where you will find it. Here's a photo of it.
IMG_7516.JPG

Sorry to be obtuse.

I pulled down the panel and I do have that plug. My question is how people are connecting the Blackvue power cord to this 12V plug that is present. Are people cutting the Tesla plug off and using this female cigarette adapter with wires to connect to the cut +/- Tesla wires? What is being done with the ground (I assume that's the green wire)?

Sorry to be obtuse.

I pulled down the panel and I do have that plug. My question is how people are connecting the Blackvue power cord to this 12V plug that is present. Are people cutting the Tesla plug off and using this female cigarette adapter with wires to connect to the cut +/- Tesla wires? What is being done with the ground (I assume that's the green wire)?

I made a plug out of common RC servo plug and plugs right into the Tesla wires. I wouldn't cut anything as that plug might be needed for some Tesla accessories.
IMG_7648.JPG

I made a plug out of common RC servo plug and plugs right into the Tesla wires. I wouldn't cut anything as that plug might be needed for some Tesla accessories.

That looks awesome. I couldn't find a matching plug, but did find pins. I soldered the pins on to the wires and with a small piece of wood and some electrical tape, made my own "plug". Looks like hell, but you can't see it anyway behind the microphone grille and I didn't have to modify the Tesla connector in any way.