Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue 2-Ch Dashcam Install on Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also previously ordered this mount from EDR-AUTO and it is now sitting on my shelf as a reminder that I lost $80 on a paper weight. Not only the 4 clips broke with minimal force but the two large clips were not long enough to hold the bracket in place. When contacting the vendor, David from EDR-AUTO replied that he never had this problem and would charge me 2/3 of the bracket's cost for shipping a replacement (I guess we are now two). I currently do not trust enough this vendor to spend an additional penny.

Unless EDR-AUTO can guarantee that they are using stronger plastic material to straighten the clips, I would be EXTREMELY careful when installing this bracket.
Thanks for the tip - my new X comes in tomorrow and will be doing it in a few weeks...

I also previously ordered this mount from EDR-AUTO and it is now sitting on my shelf as a reminder that I lost $80 on a paper weight. Not only the 4 clips broke with minimal force but the two large clips were not long enough to hold the bracket in place. When contacting the vendor, David from EDR-AUTO replied that he never had this problem and would charge me 2/3 of the bracket's cost for shipping a replacement (I guess we are now two). I currently do not trust enough this vendor to spend an additional penny.

Unless EDR-AUTO can guarantee that they are using stronger plastic material to straighten the clips, I would be EXTREMELY careful when installing this bracket.
Totally agree with you here. Mine broke. I ended up tossing it in the garbage for exactly what it is.

Thank you all for making me feel that I was not alone and to shed light on the EDR-AUTO bracket. If the company is reading this great forum, I hope they will post their position regarding the quality of the bracket. Even if this will not help previous buyers, it should help other forum members contemplating this product.

I would now like to return to my original question regarding the BlendMount bracket for BlackVue. Any feedback from owners regarding the quality and camera vibration when driving at high speed. It would be interesting to know if it increases the vibration due to the arm-type design or reduces the vibration because it is not directly attached to the car’s windshield. Also, how easy to install and position the camera.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
Thank you all for making me feel that I was not alone and to shed light on the EDR-AUTO bracket. If the company is reading this great forum, I hope they will post their position regarding the quality of the bracket. Even if this will not help previous buyers, it should help other forum members contemplating this product.

I would now like to return to my original question regarding the BlendMount bracket for BlackVue. Any feedback from owners regarding the quality and camera vibration when driving at high speed. It would be interesting to know if it increases the vibration due to the arm-type design or reduces the vibration because it is not directly attached to the car’s windshield. Also, how easy to install and position the camera.

I've had mine on for a little over a week now and it's been great. I've had no issues with the vibration.

• Informative
We do not understand why there are some difficulties in setting up blackvue mount as you can see here it is very simple to clips without breaking anything

Go directly on vidéo to 7m50s

If you want another blackvue Mount I can send it to you for $ 20 with paypal
Contact me in PM

We do not understand why there are some difficulties in setting up blackvue mount as you can see here it is very simple to clips without breaking anything

Go directly on vidéo to 7m50s

If you want another blackvue Mount I can send it to you for $ 20 with paypal
Contact me in PM

Sorry, but I think may be your custom prototype may have tighter tolerances than the ones that were shipping.

I have the AP1 version of this and have the same experience that the clips simply don't hold up. They fall out after driving around for a couple of weeks.

I ended up putting duct tape from the inside but is far from an ideal solution.

It is difficult to create exactly the same 3D support as the existing without having the original Tesla file. Even with a professional scanner we made at least more 10 copies to have an acceptable support. It will always be possible to do better but with the low quantities produced it will not be commercially viable.

For the support X Ap1 it is necessary to fold the clips back of the interior with the finger so that they hang well. Watch video at 2.20 min

I have used the EDR-Auto mount for over a year. Once I installed it, it has mostly stayed in place, as long as I don't play/budge the dashcam. I really like the idea, but the implementation is not perfect.

I have ordered the Blendmount and it should be arriving today. I will probably install it this weekend.

• Helpful
In your trailer bag, there should be a bag with the trailer plug. Simply go near where the obd2 port is, behind it should be the male side of the plug. Plug it in, use two of the wires to wire a female cigarette lighter plug, tape up the other two wires, shove it back behind the plastic and you are done. (Do the wiring before you plug it in)

Picture is tough as I did everything by feel, j didn’t remove any panels for it.
Do you know if this power is constant?

I don’t know why more people don’t use the trailer plug
I missed this conversation when it was originally posted, what's the advantage of the trailer power over the OBD2 power (since you can get a plug/adapter for that, also, relatively easily). I agree it's another good power source but I'm not seeing the point. The OBD is on all the time for cameras that have parking mode (shut down when no motion).

What does the trailer power do, is it switched for those that need a switched source?

I missed this conversation when it was originally posted, what's the advantage of the trailer power over the OBD2 power (since you can get a plug/adapter for that, also, relatively easily). I agree it's another good power source but I'm not seeing the point. The OBD is on all the time for cameras that have parking mode (shut down when no motion).

What does the trailer power do, is it switched for those that need a switched source?
FYI - I am having trouble getting my OBD port to power - bought adapter, spliced in the receptacle (twice) and NADA. Fuse is not blown as my TPMS still work (same fuse according to some other posts) so just looking for an alternative source. Splicing is splicing so 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

FYI - I am having trouble getting my OBD port to power - bought adapter, spliced in the receptacle (twice) and NADA. Fuse is not blown as my TPMS still work (same fuse according to some other posts) so just looking for an alternative source. Splicing is splicing so 6 of one, half dozen of the other.
Huh... I thought the OBD was pretty much a guaranteed answer..... If the trailer power (since we have X's (and BTW, little typo in your sig in the name there @GOPJEW!)) is more reliable, great. This is the first I've heard of that option, and I was wondering how to make use of that pigtail!

What you are saying makes sense about OBD and TPMS. Its my experience on my S, that OBD, TPMS and Glove box light are on the same fuse. Check that you glove box light is still working. It might be a hint to a fuse issue. (Just a hint of help.)

No splicing, no single sticking out. I simply wire a cigarette light plug in and call it a day.

I do sometimes I wonder if I should go back and add parking mode. My card is getting overwritten daily due to the size

Huh... I thought the OBD was pretty much a guaranteed answer..... If the trailer power (since we have X's (and BTW, little typo in your sig in the name there @GOPJEW!)) is more reliable, great. This is the first I've heard of that option, and I was wondering how to make use of that pigtail!
Thanks for catching that Lee!

Was hoping to meet you finally at the last event - Bobby did a great job wrapping this one too - really appreciate the referral!

Next time!

I plan on running both the camera AND a wifi hotspot off of it...should be a very low draw - and with my larger card I should avoid any overwrites...

Thanks!

It will be okay the issue I have is just the camera is running 24/7, I wish I had complete the parking mode. I am just too lazy to go back and redo it. Just open your trailer bag get the pig tail and get the female cig plug. Take a bunch of zip ties and you can hide it behind the plastic panel