Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blank screen button

Should the touchscreen have an on/off toggle?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Call me a luddite, but I'd love to have a button along the top of the touchscreen that turns the screen blank. Sometimes I don't want to see the data, music, or image behind me, especially at night. Presently, I have to go into the Easter Eggs, bring up a sketch pad, and fill the screen with black. How about a little satellite icon (called "space"?) that toggles the touchscreen on and off? I tried messaging @elonmusk, but I think he's busy with other stuff, so I'm starting a crowd campaign here. Let's refine the idea and try to get it implemented...

Reactions: busaman
Call me a luddite, but I'd love to have a button along the top of the touchscreen that turns the screen blank. Sometimes I don't want to see the data, music, or image behind me, especially at night. Presently, I have to go into the Easter Eggs, bring up a sketch pad, and fill the screen with black. How about a little satellite icon (called "space"?) that toggles the touchscreen on and off? I tried messaging @elonmusk, but I think he's busy with other stuff, so I'm starting a crowd campaign here. Let's refine the idea and try to get it implemented...
I've been asking for the same thing since the S was released. I work with screens in my face all day. I don't want one in my face when I'm driving too.
It's not a popular opinion on this forum though. Most people who drive teslas think more touchscreens and technology = better. People who have strokes if they have to go 5 minutes without fondling their smartphones definitely don't ever want a screen to be OFF or to drive a car not in constant communication with big brother in the cloud.

Since tesla designers cant possibly conceive that maybe someone out there doesn't like screens in their face all the time, maybe just throw a dark towel over it?

i have complained to tesla about this among other stupid design flaws it wouldnt be so bad if the screens were individually dimmable (if you are driving at night and dimmed down real low in the morning you cant find where to turn it up) just plain stupid.... 1 button!!!!!

Wow, that was quick. Updates starting next week. I hope we'll be able to dim it down to black. I definitely should ask Elon for more stuff...

Display Brightness

With Display Brightness, you can clearly see the touchscreen and instrument panel throughout the day and night. This feature adjusts screen brightness based on your Model S surroundings. It also learns from your preferences: if you adjust the brightness manually, Display Brightness uses your update to make future adjustments.