Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blind Holster for phone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My non-PUP came with these. But I'm not using them because I have a strong/thick Otter case around my iPhone 6+ and no fitting to MX dock is likely to happen.

Elongated lightning connector is my suggestion, the provided one is not phone-case friendly.

View attachment 175357 ng though, due to Otter ca
I got my 90D last week and haven't come across the bag. Not in glove compartment. Is it stashed somewhere else?

I just don't see how this holster thing is better than a simple USB cable plug in. You can't charge your phone the moment you pick it up. Obviously, no driver would ever text, facebook, or go online during autopilot because both hands are always holding the steering wheel ... but, just in case, if the front passenger wants to use my phone to do so, it will be unplugged.

image.jpeg
A - is the plug in USB and wire tucked into hole.
B - is where the charge thingy comes out.

Need a very thin phone cover. See my post on Console IPhone -https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/new-console-phone-charger.71677/

Forgot the picture.

The guides are not installed in that picture..They do not hold the phone from moving backwards during a launch but do put the "blind" in the feature name.

The slots for fasteners in the base of the part with the Lightning plug allow for some adjustment to accommodate thicker phones/cases. See the pic in Blind Holster for phone The plug can be secured more towards the rear of the car, leaving room for a thicker phone back.

I ended up buying the 29.99 ProCLip mount so I can see my phone when I need to - mainly for Waze alerts. You basically buy the clip on mount and then pick out a phone holder. I already had a holder (Arkon) from my other car and ended using that. Almost any holder will work on this mount (plenty on amazon) the key is the mount that clips onto the S or X. Link: www.proclipusa.com/dashboard-mounts/vehicle/tesla/x/2016.cmsv

Remember that the 29.99 is just the clip mount (upper left in picture) you still need a phone holder that will attach to the mount.

This does not damage your dash. Just a clip with a rubber strip insert that is designed specially for the Model X (and the S) . So far works great.

Attachments

• ProCLip.JPG
    ProCLip.JPG
    605.5 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Reactions: boaterva
My non-PUP came with these. But I'm not using them because I have a strong/thick Otter case around my iPhone 6+ and no fitting to MX dock is likely to happen.

Elongated lightning connector is my suggestion, the provided one is not phone-case friendly.

View attachment 175357 ng though, due to Otter ca
I installed my iphone connector holster last night but I have no clue what the 4 clips are for - they are numbers 1 thru 4.

Post #2 shows the one numbered 4. There are two pairs of side bolsters to fit the width of the phone.
Ahh. Got it. Why 4 though? Really wish Tesla had engineered for phones with cases. I will probably go with some kind of elastic band to keep my phone in the holster area when accelerating since bolsters only work without cases.

I got these "Dock Extenders" so I could plug the phone in without removing the Otter case: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015THTHZC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My naked iPhone 5s is only guided to the pin by the bolsters, they do not hold it in place from swinging aft during acceleration. The inner edges of the bolsters touch the sides of the phone, they do not overlap it. Maybe the 6 is wide enough and thin enough to fit behind the flanges. Would someone with a 6 report on this, please?

The side bolsters are designed for the iphone 6 and 6 plus... the narrower ones for the 6 plus and the wider ones for the 6... Likely other phones will fit with one or the other, but they clearly sizes them with the iphone in mind. Took me a few minutes to figure out that you just slide in the bolsters and they "latch" in place. Not really that secure but seems fine with daily use so far.

Regarding the numbers, they are likely stamps for which cavity the of the tool the part came from during molding...

• Informative
Reactions: MikeC and umeshunni
I think the lightning adapters will probably work OK but have not tried them yet. I gave up on the micro usb. Not enough variance to get it to slip in. Heck I can barely get it into the phone when I line up the loose cable.

I also don't see the point of the brackets. You cannot see anything of phone anyway so why not just toss it into the tray and manually hook up the cable? That is what I am doing.

You know you can adjust how far the port is away from the wall of the dock? Check out this video where someone swaps out the micro-USB for a USB-C, and you'll see how you can adjust it:

-Rob