Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blind spot hardware changes pending?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Show me a driving school or government publication that suggests this method, or show me research that recommends it. There is none, and there's a very good reason for that, because it's simply DANGEROUS to do it.

Actually, there was a definitive research paper by the Society of Automotive Engineers that suggested it in 1995 that pretty much settled the question so clearly that I don't think there has ever been other research into the question. It has never been discredited and there are absolutely driving schools that teach it and insurance companies that recommend it.

Here is the BSGE method, straight from a Government Server URL. In fact, the National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration: http://www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/nti/teen-drivers/pdf/blindzoneglaremirrormethod.pdf

And maybe you're right. Be interesting to find out. However, I don't recall reading any other posts about the camera causing motion sickness.

It does me. I initially thought I'd love having the rear camera on all the time. No way. Something about simultaneously seeing both the forward motion of the windshield and the rearward motion of the video display makes me nauseated really fast. It's strange, though, that the sliver of rearview mirror has never done that to me.

It does me. I initially thought I'd love having the rear camera on all the time. No way. Something about simultaneously seeing both the forward motion of the windshield and the rearward motion of the video display makes me nauseated really fast. It's strange, though, that the sliver of rearview mirror has never done that to me.

I think it is all in what you are used to. Rear camera freaked me out at first. In a similar fashion, I have a Motor Home that has a rear-view-mirror shaped display that is actually driven by a camera. That thing also bothered me at first.

Stick with it a little, and your brain accommodates fairly quickly.

I think it is all in what you are used to. Rear camera freaked me out at first. In a similar fashion, I have a Motor Home that has a rear-view-mirror shaped display that is actually driven by a camera. That thing also bothered me at first.
Stick with it a little, and your brain accommodates fairly quickly.
I think you're talking about different things. I got the impression Rockstar was talking about something physical more like vertigo, than an intellectual resistance.

It should be embarrassing to Tesla that 100% of their competition has indicators in the direction you look before changing lanes and they don't. Did they even look at what is already in the market?

I don't want flashing lights in my peripheral vision. Not saying Tesla's solution is great yet, but I'm not excited about having indicators in the mirrors. 100% of their competition does a lot of things that Tesla doesn't.

I don't want flashing lights in my peripheral vision. Not saying Tesla's solution is great yet, but I'm not excited about having indicators in the mirrors. 100% of their competition does a lot of things that Tesla doesn't.

Stoney, with all due respect- have you driven a Mercedes or BMW and used their blind spot systems? They don't "flash" in your peripheral vision at all. They are in fact quite intuitive and give you a "second opinion" when changing lanes and confirm what you are seeing in the mirror. They just give you more confidence when changing lanes.

I am all for defending Tesla in most cases, but in this situation- their blind spot system is downright pathetic and shouldn't have been released at all. It is so ineffective, I wonder if it was simply implemented in its current form just to have the specs listed for marketing reasons. It is a complete joke.

Stoney, with all due respect- have you driven a Mercedes or BMW and used their blind spot systems? They don't "flash" in your peripheral vision at all. They are in fact quite intuitive and give you a "second opinion" when changing lanes and confirm what you are seeing in the mirror. They just give you more confidence when changing lanes.

I am all for defending Tesla in most cases, but in this situation- their blind spot system is downright pathetic and shouldn't have been released at all. It is so ineffective, I wonder if it was simply implemented in its current form just to have the specs listed for marketing reasons. It is a complete joke.

No I haven't and you may be right. I do think there are ways to make this system good without putting indicators in the mirrors though. Part of it is rethinking the UI and part of it is getting the sensors working better. We shall see, I sure hope they can improve it :)

I will say the audio feedback saved me once this week when I was tired and somehow didn't check my mirrors, so it has some function.

It should be embarrassing to Tesla that 100% of their competition has indicators in the direction you look before changing lanes and they don't. Did they even look at what is already in the market?

I don't know anyone who changes lanes while looking at the instrument cluster. Obviously Tesla designed this system presuming that side-view cameras would be used and the images displayed in the instrument cluster. In that scenario, the current warnings make sense because that's where your eyes are going to be. But that's not the world we are living in today. Someday the law will allow side-view cameras, but in the meantime, provide the appropriate warning indicators where people look before they change lanes - in their mirrors.

I can understand this. There are many times that I drive on highways and see the light go off on cars as I pass them or they pass me. I always wondered if that would be a nuisance to my peripheral vision if I was driving such a car.

The hardware and software for all of these features is in an infancy stage. Current sensors can't even tell a plastic bag from a boulder, or a pothole from an uncovered manhole. But new sensors currently under development are solving these problems, which must be solved, before we will see self-driving cars. This is the beta stage, and it's pretty rudimentory, compared to what's coming. Unfortunately, it won't be with the current cars out there, according to the experts in the field.

+1 here. My mirrors provide perfect blindspot visibility 100% of the time because they are set to do so. And by using them that way, I have seen that the white blind spot indicator, which is practically imperceivable in bright light, and the alarm are inaccurate on my car just about 100% of the time. The white does not come on when I have a car in the zone and the alarm comes on when the car is perhaps 15ft behind my car.

For me, it always gets back to the issue that we must be paying full attention all the time, take our driving very seriously and take ownership for what we are doing.

Will we ever be happy with our cars? :) If people had their mirrors PROPERLY adjusted there would be no need for "blind spot" warning because a properly adjusted mirror eliminates any blind spot. There may be an indicator on future mirrors but the truth is it's going to get to the point where looking over the shoulder will create more of a safety hazard then keeping your head straight... which is kind of the point. We are almost there now. The Model S will force us to change COMPLETELY how we look at driving.

+1 here. My mirrors provide perfect blindspot visibility 100% of the time because they are set to do so. And by using them that way, I have seen that the white blind spot indicator, which is practically imperceivable in bright light, and the alarm are inaccurate on my car just about 100% of the time. The white does not come on when I have a car in the zone and the alarm comes on when the car is perhaps 15ft behind my car.

For me, it always gets back to the issue that we must be paying full attention all the time, take our driving very seriously and take ownership for what we are doing.

I also echo this. The blindspot system on the Tesla should not be relied on. I found that at high speeds around 75mph+, the system will be inaccurate up to 90% of the time.

I also echo this. The blindspot system on the Tesla should not be relied on. I found that at high speeds around 75mph+, the system will be inaccurate up to 90% of the time.

Blind Spot Warning
Blind Spot Warning is a new Lane Assist feature that helps you to
change lanes safely. When Model S is travelling between 20mph (30
km/h) and 85 mph (140 km/h)
and detects a vehicle in your blind spot,
Firmware 6.2 - Page 2

"When used outside of the defined parameters, feature does not behave correctly." I have trouble breathing without oxygen as well, but I don't tend to post about it. ;)

Firmware 6.2 - Page 2

"When used outside of the defined parameters, feature does not behave correctly." I have trouble breathing without oxygen as well, but I don't tend to post about it. ;)

OK. Someone's gotta do it, so it may as well be me.

Just how is "around 75MPH+" outside the defined parameters of "between 20MPH and 85MPH?"

I'm sure you were thinking something else when you posted, since you provided all the information so nicely. :) What WERE you thinking?

Edit: Or was it the "+?"

Just how is "around 75MPH+" outside the defined parameters of "between 20MPH and 85MPH?"

I'm sure you were thinking something else when you posted, since you provided all the information so nicely. :) What WERE you thinking?

Edit: Or was it the "+?"
When someone says "around 75+" it might mean [1] "I really meant 85+ but I don't want to admit it on the internets" or [2] it could just mean "somewhere in the above 50 range" or [3] it could mean "over 691hp" or [4] it could mean "my eyes say 75+ but I didn't have a formal measuring device". I interpreted the phrasing as likely [2].

Further, if you say "75+" and you're talking about even a "lowly" S85 the "75+" band is pretty large -- [75,135). In that band, 90% of it is [81,135) so the documented "after 85 all bets are off" is pretty darn close. If you're talking about a P85D, then the top 90% is [83,155).