Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blind Spot Monitoring Standard on all AP 2.0+ cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From Discover Software Version 9.0
Blindspot Monitoring
To improve safety and increase confidence when changing lanes, cars with Full Self-Driving hardware will now display a red lane line when your turn signal is engaged and a car or obstacle is detected in your target lane. There is no change to the display for cars without Full Self-Driving hardware.

Tesla cars with Full-Self-Driving hardware will now use all eight cameras, providing a 360-degree view of surrounding cars. This includes improved blind spot monitoring on the instrument panel which reflects the type of car in your blind spot, supplementing an already attentive driver.

I really like to give Tesla the benefit of the doubt as much as I can. But requiring FSD for blind spot money feels like a pure money play. And if I were a betting man I would say that when when Navigate on Autopilot finally does hit, it too will be an FSD-exclusive feature (since presumably it needs all the cameras). Despite the fact that the description of Enhanced Autopilot has traditionally stayed that the vehicle will automatically change lanes without driver input (it's no longer listed on the Model 3 order page).

Profitable Tesla, here we come.

Don't all currently/recently sold cars have FSD hardware? Does it say whether the optional EAP and FSD features also need to be activated (i.e., purchased) before this blindspot monitoring feature is available?

It's not a few feature. It's an improvement. We've always had blind spot monitoring. V8 used ultrasonics, V9 uses video (and possibly ultrasonics)

It's not a few feature. It's an improvement. We've always had blind spot monitoring. V8 used ultrasonics, V9 uses video (and possibly ultrasonics)

I would not say that ultrasonics are what most people consider blind spot monitoring in V8. Inches away while turning red is a little late for that.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Egg on face. You're all right (hopefully). Though really they should say something like Autopilot 2.0 and higher. I'm just grumpy at Tesla today since they messed up my solar installation for the 2nd visit in a row so maybe I was looking for an excuse to be mad at them.

Mods feel free to either close thread or rename the title!

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and JeffK
Egg on face. You're all right (hopefully). Though really they should say something like Autopilot 2.0 and higher. I'm just grumpy at Tesla today since they messed up my solar installation for the 2nd visit in a row so maybe I was looking for an excuse to be mad at them.

Mods feel free to either close thread or rename the title!
Maybe they're emphasizing the FSD now. Or maybe it's a ploy to get people to enable FSD even though they don't need it.

good point, full self driving HARDWARE. That leads to ask, since my model 3 is only equipped with EAP, does that mean it has 2.5 hardware and in order for future FSD to work, do they have to update the hardware to 3.0 or just the software enabling or both?

First Model S’s did not even have parking sensors.

When I took delivery of my AP2 X it only had 1987 era cruise control on day 1.

Autosteer was limited to 35, then 45, than 55. Lmao.

One of my firmware updates accidentally pushed the NHTSA testing suite to my X. Lane changes done at maximum G to try and roll the car over.. ;)

Tesla has come a long way. I am so excited to be driving the future, today.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA