Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blind Spot Monitoring

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SteveD

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2018
Tacoma, Wa
It appears that blind spot monitoring is only available to cars that have Full Self-Driving. This is most disturbing to me having paid a lot of money to get enhanced autopilot only to find that blind spot monitoring isn't available. I have a three year old Kia that has blind spot monitoring with both audible and visual cues. Here I am buying one of the the most technologically advanced cars in the world and no blind spot monitoring unless I want to fork over another $3-$5k???? And this is supposed to be a car for the average person, already over $60K as configured. I think this is ridiculous and outrageous.

Last edited:
I'm disappointed also. Blind spot monitoring is a critical safety feature. I get what they are doing by providing an actual feature in FSD to help it sell, but I think that's the wrong approach.

I've taken to using the rear camera as an alternative to BSM.

• Disagree
Reactions: Spacela
It appears that blind spot monitoring is only available to cars that have Full Self-Driving. This is most disturbing to me having paid a lot of money to get enhanced autopilot only to find that blind spot monitoring isn't available. I have a three year old Kia that has blind spot monitoring with both audible and visual cues. Here I am buying one of the the most technologically advanced cars in the world and no blind spot monitoring unless I want to fork over another $3-$5k???? And this is supposed to be a car for the average person, already over $60K as configured. I think this is ridiculous and outrageous.
Are you sure? Where did you hear that? If you read it on release notes then you misunderstood. It means only cars that have all 8 cameras which all cars except AP1. The wording is a poor choice. I think it said Full Self Driving "hardware" which is all cars after AP1.

Reactions: csshih and Spacela
Here we go again with people and reading comprehension...
I was just about to post what glide just said. It really was a very misleading way for Tesla to word the release notes/announcement. And it's not even "reading comprehension", but a detailed technical understanding of nuances between "Full Self Driving hardware" and "Full Self Driving option".

Reactions: trisk and jsmay311
I guess it still needs to be confirmed, but my understanding is that all Tesla’s with AP2 or higher hardware (i.e. cars with FSD hardware - even if it is not enabled) get the blind spot monitoring features without having to pay for any extra packages. But the wording is confusing.

Reactions: N8Howell33
I guess it still needs to be confirmed, but my understanding is that all Tesla’s with AP2 or higher hardware (i.e. cars with FSD hardware - even if it is not enabled) get the blind spot monitoring features without having to pay for any extra packages. But the wording is confusing.

Marc Benton's friend on twitter shows blind spot warning and surround view working on AP2.5 Model 3's with no EAP

Well I am glad to hear it is not limited to people who purchased the Full Self-Driving option (software). It did say "hardware" and most cars have the hardware. I was reading the release notes and it is a bit confusing.

BTW, I have a graduate degree and work in a field requiring high verbal skills. No need to belittle people over less than clear communication.

Since I started this post, can I delete it. False alarm...

Last edited:
If it's a red line on the screen and that is your entire warning it's a waste of effort on their part to even implement it. Who looks toward the screen when they put on their blinker? This really should be either an audible alert, or better yet a tactic feedback through the steering wheel when you apply any force toward the direction of the other vehicle. This is done in computer guided surgical equipment all the time these days.