Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blind spot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else have an issue with the blind spot over their right shoulder? This is particularly acute when switching in to the right lane.

I find the passenger mirror sticks too far out from the car to be angled correctly for a proper view. Any suggestions?

I don't find that the side view mirrors project too far. The video and web page illustrate the correct angles for side view mirror positions nicely. Too many cars are on the road with the side view mirrors pointed too far inward to cover the blind spot.

Reactions: DR61
I feel that I can use the mirror to avoid the blindspot. I do notice that the rear head rest compounds the problem. I also don't feel double checking the screen is natural at all. We could really use an audible warning if you signal and the car senses something in the blindspot.

Reactions: JES2
The rear decklid is really high and there's no way to adjust your mirrors around that. It was the main reason my mother decided against Model 3: coming from an E-Class with good visibility, she just didn't feel comfortable driving it.

Here are some measurements from Car and Driver that illustrate it well:

obscured-roadway-1523570113.png

obscured-chart-1523636440.png

I feel that I can use the mirror to avoid the blindspot. I do notice that the rear head rest compounds the problem. I also don't feel double checking the screen is natural at all. We could really use an audible warning if you signal and the car senses something in the blindspot.

Agreed. Hopefully that is just a software update and you can turn it on/off. I do like how my current car has the indicator light on the inside of the car by the mirror too. but... thats not an easy update.

The rear decklid is really high and there's no way to adjust your mirrors around that. It was the main reason my mother decided against Model 3: coming from an E-Class with good visibility, she just didn't feel comfortable driving it.

Here are some measurements from Car and Driver that illustrate it well:

obscured-roadway-1523570113.png

obscured-chart-1523636440.png

This is really interesting. I’ve noticed how high the rear deck lid is and it’s bothered me a little but seeing this illustrates just how HIGH it really is.

What baffles me is why this was even necessary? There is plenty of cargo room underneath it... and I can’t figure a reason the rear seatback couldn’t be a little lower to accommodate more visibility. Besides that, the deck lid angles upward for no obvious reason, making matters worse.

The backup camera solves the issue for baking up but it’s still a net loss versus having better physical visibility.

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: JES2 and Ketchups
When you're driving a Telsa, it matters not what is behind you. Everything becomes behind you soon. And stays there.

Good forward visibility is what matters. Model 3 is on par or better than the compared fleet for forward visibility and is where you are going. You are going into the future faster in a Tesla.

Spray paint the rear glass black to remove the temptation of even trying to look through it. This would not be illegal where I live ... as long as the car has 2 side mirrors it's OK to have a SOLID rear panel.

When I'm backing up my S, I use the camera and side mirrors exclusively. The rear window is useless I don't even try to use it.

You'll get over it quickly with a Model 3.

• Funny
Reactions: dgaultiere