Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blocking the signal from the key FOB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got one of those faraday cage pouches from amazon, it blocks the signal from my Acura key but not from the Tesla. The key still works in the pouch

The pouch I linked to earlier in this thread is the exact one I purchased, and it blocks the Model S keyfob perfectly. I can be right next to the car with the keyfob in the pouch and the car thinks it's not there.

If I remember correctly, I believe I read that the Model X keyfob is different and uses a different frequency and protocol. It is possible that it may not block the Model X keyfob, but you'd have to try it and find out.

I'm not interested in leaving the fob in the car, but I do worry about these scanning thefts. I'd link to find a bag just big enough for the fob that I can then put in my side pocket. The one mentioned above that works is big enough to stick your phone in. That's too big. Does anyone know of a smaller one that works well enough for the Tesla. The comment earlier about one that worked with other cars but not the Tesla is why I've hesitated to just order without some Tesla owner recommendation.

Interesting. So SC's can't leave fobs in cars for S owners who can unlock via app? Seems strange that feature would have evaporated if it had been there. I can see it only being on the newer X.
I had this exact experience last week and the SC left the fob in the deep compartment in the very bottom of my trunk (where legs would hang with those kidnapping seats). I couldn't open the car except with the mobile app. I haven't tried to reproduce this but suspect if you try placing it down there you may have success.

This thread is helpful, thank you. Its been over a year since the last post, has anyone got any fail-safe answers? I'd appreciate one, especially one that can be bought from a store not mail-ordered.

I'm about to get my S shipped from AU to NZ. It is not being containerised and needs to be driveable (think of it as a super-long ro-ro ferry crossing). The standard procedure for the shippers is to leave the key in the car and they aren't interested in changing their procedure.

My best idea is to wrap it in foil and place it in a pencil case. Not being on the same continent as the car, I can't test it so advice appreciated.

Putting the fob in an empty Altoids tin (with the lid completely closed) works for me. I tested by walking past the car's doors and there was no response. As soon as the lid was opened, the doors immediately unlocked and handles presented.

I just wear one of these:

male-conspiracy-theory-believer-wearing-tin-foil-hat-peering-out-of-G3DR45.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: DukeofURL
I've been using this for 2-3 of years now to store spare keys, not to prevent relay attacks but because I happen to store them in a room above the garage and had some issues with newer Model S'es being able to pick them up. I also used it when sleeping in the car on a coast-to-coast road trip - blocks the signal completely even when key fob is in the car.

Altoid-Fob-case.png