Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bloomberg video of Musk driving hands free

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a video from the launch of AP and it's interesting to view it in retrospect, after the fatality in Florida.

The AutoPilot part starts at 1:59

The discussion starting at 2:42 is especially interesting considering what we now know are the limitations of the system.

Last edited:
What's interesting? Every single video showing these systems from every single manufacturer shows people not holding onto the wheel...

The interesting part is the discussion starting at 2:42. The system he is describing is not the system that's on the road today.

Regarding the hands-free bit, this is the CEO of a company that now emphatically states it's a "requirement" of the driver to keep his/her hands on the wheel, at all times. There isn't even a passing mention from Musk about the hands-on requirement and an explanation that he's just going hands-free for TV purposes.

Reactions: Matias
The interesting part is the discussion starting at 2:42. The system he is describing is not the system that's on the road today.

Regarding the hands-free bit, this is the CEO of a company that now emphatically states it's a "requirement" of the driver to keep his/her hands on the wheel, at all times. There isn't even a passing mention from Musk about the hands-on requirement and an explanation that he's just going hands-free for TV purposes.

Yeah, I watched it. Still not seeing what's interesting. He is showcasing what autopilot could do, not does do. He even qualified his answer by stating that autopilot would brake "if it detected" the object.

Yes, it's difficult to showcase the car steering itself if your hands remain on the wheel...

I think you're reaching a bit here.

Musk said it can brake for a stopped car, or a pedestrian crossing, or any other object that the vehicle may cross in front of the vehicle and it would prevent or mitigate the accident, unless the event was something impossible.

But know now that AP is blind to crossing traffic.

We know it won't always brake for a stopped car.

And it won't always brake for a pedestrian crossing.

That video is of a pre-production, demo version Autopilot on a closed course (Hawthorne airport) from nearly a year before the feature was launched to the public.

Actually that video was taken on 10/10/14, a day after Tesla officially started taking customer orders from the public.

If Tesla downgraded the capabilities of the system before they pushed the software out, consumers should have been notified that the system was downgraded and the capabilities Musk described were removed.

I'm glad you agree at least that the system described in that video clip is not the system that was released to the public.

Oh my. The haters who have not driven a mile in AP are hell bent on throwing everything and anything they can think of, hoping that something or other will stick.

First it was random joe's video in YouTube with no hands on wheel. Then it was Musk's ex and now Musk, that was done as a demo in a closed track.

When a kid says, 'look ma, no hands' it is just to show they have attained a level of control on the bike. And that It doesn't mean they intend to drive hands free and eyes closed everywhere.

This desperation to bring down Tesla by hook or crook is nauseating and has really gone out of hand. Par for Seeking Alpha, but not for TMC.

Last edited by a moderator:
The discussion starting at 2:42 is especially interesting considering what we now know are the limitations of the system.
That video is well know, nothing new to see. Obviously Musk is demoing a nascent version of AP to the media on a closed highly controlled course. Of course he is going to lift his hands off the wheel and talk about what AP can do, and much of that description is going to be aspirational and what Tesla is moving towards in the future, not literally what it can do at that moment.

That video is well know, nothing new to see. Obviously Musk is demoing a nascent version of AP to the media on a closed highly controlled course. Of course he is going to lift his hands off the wheel and talk about what AP can do, and much of that description is going to be aspirational and what Tesla is moving towards in the future, not literally what it can do at that moment.

I'm glad you picked up on the same thing I did about the discussion starting at 2:42.

I agree with you that it does seem odd that Musk would be highlighting what you described as "aspirational" features, rather than the features that would be included in the AP system customers were ordering the same day the video was taken. Big disconnect.

What Musk was describing is a whole different AP system than what's on the road today.

• Disagree
Reactions: Austin Powers