Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW folks comments on Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, absolutely. Everyone starts somewhere, and I didnt mean to imply anything different. I just find a pretty large difference in someone saying something like "Hi all, I am thinking about buying one of these cars, can you tell me some things you like and dont like about them (for example)" and something like "Hi all, can you tell me why all the people on this other board say your car sucks?"

It drives a different discussion.
Appreciate that attempt to educate or advise me on how threads should be started, but I guess to each his own method of asking his question; I'll stick with mine. I try to leave emotions aside and to be straight forward, and am opened to any reactions. I just take the valuable feedback and ignore extreme or offenses responses "won't bother me". Thanks again. I literally was searching relevant topics, and that one came on my google search page and thought the opinions were skewed towards the extreme and wanted to hear from the other side. I also have to admit it was my mistake that I did not search similar topics on this thread (assuming they exist). In all cases, my question has led to a good number of responses above that were informative and helped me understand what I might be getting should I go one direction or another. I have a very early deposit paid for CyberTruck and am going to get it no matter what because am not going to lose lots of money on it if I get it first year (if), but am also talking myself into getting a Tesla earlier now given the long timeline and wait for CyberTruck. That's all.

Appreciate everyone's feedback.
Sounds like there is a general agreement that Tesla is not a Luxury car, and if that is what I really wanted, I should get a BMW or MBenz EV if luxury is more important to me that all other things (?).

As for Tesla, sounds like the main motivation is autonomous driving and charging stations? Those are good points, but for the record, my long trip vehicle will have to continue being a three row combustion engine SUV for my family, so charging station makes no different in my decision (I probably should have mentioned that from day 1 in my thread). That leaves me with, do I really value autonomous driving? The answer is yes honestly. Perhaps I should also familiarize myself with the auto-pilot in newer Benz or BMW (newest one I have on both brands is 2020) so non of them had the advanced drive assist as the 2023 model years. I expect Tesla to be better for in-town where I would be mostly using this car, while high-way driving is useless for me as I still have to use a three row SUV that I already have.

Renting a Tesla for one week sounds like a wise suggestion, but it is clear that I should forget about luxury.

Any issues with rattles and road noise though? How about leather quality? Speakers? I can get high end speakers option in other brands, what is the best I can get on a Tesla and how dies it compare to 3D Burmester or B&W 3D surround high-end systems? Those are things I consider to be (outside) the luxury discussion and rather being a (must-have) daily use features. I don't care about massage seats much as I know Tesla won't offer them and am okay with that as long as I get cooled and heated seats. Nice daily-drive in-town drive is what I want, that I can drive with conservative passion and love (am not a fast driver by the way).

As for Tesla, sounds like the main motivation is autonomous driving and charging stations?

Charging stations = Yes, Autonomous driving = no (would likely be the general consensus) you will likely find, would be my guess. I personally dont think the value is there if one is only considering autonomous driving as a main driver for choosing a Tesla over another brand.

I have two teslas, one with the full autonomous package and one without, and I like the total package the cars give me but would not buy (or recommend anyone else buy) a Tesla specifically for autonomous driving features.

I think I would define luxury as the absence of worry or stress- that is what rich people spend money on, to make problems go away. Therefore, features like
  • phone key
  • climate control on as soon as the door opens and kids enter the car
  • watching theater apps on the main display while killing time
  • never going to a gas station except to pay for a car wash
  • a usable app that lets me monitor vehicle surroundings, close windows, open the garage, and precondition the cabin from anywhere
  • a true 'plug and charge' network of chargers
  • reasonable stress free highway L2+ ADAS that slows for corners and keeps track of merging traffic
  • Ecosystem of interesting accessories like an NFC ring I can wear when I don't want my phone on me that works just like a card key
are all luxurious to me. others might miss massaging seats or nappa wrapped interiors (and I have had very traditionally luxurious cars) but one day I drove to the beach, found a parking spot near a coffee shop, and worked while looking at the Monterey Bay while in perfect comfort with days of climate control, and I forgot about the leather wrapped interior and ventilated seats in my Porsches.

Some of these things should be on all EVs but they remain very poorly implemented relative to Tesla. I do miss basics like a set of gauges in front of me, but I made some for myself and so I have no complaints.

Thanks; so what's the point or motivation of staying with Tesla now if other true luxury brands also started to offer EV vehicles (at least stating 2022/2023)? I have not driven i7 yet, but with the price of S and i7 being almost the same, the comparison on paper seems to lead to only one answer.... What am I missing (if any)?
The i7 is interesting but I’m not about to buy a first generation anything from any auto manufacturer.

And that crystal shifter…yuck.

I came from an ICE BMW 7 series to a Model 3 - a huge step down in terms of old-fashioned ideas of "luxury," in the sense of the Model 3 not having actual leather, lots of real and fake wood, and good fit and finish. The 7 was also quiet, comfortable, smooth, and built like a tank. Again, these are all things I can't say for the Model 3.
But the 7 required endless repairs at prices that would bring a tear to your eye. And it didn't have nearly the level of useful tech that the Model 3 has. For this crowd I don't think I need to list all the things the Model 3 does automatically, and the extremely well thought-out programming "environment" created by Tesla. The Tesla charging network is also a "luxury" that BMW simply doesn't have, and won't have any time soon.
In the end, it all depends on the subjective notion of what constitutes "luxury." Most surveys focus solely on price, which may or may not be indicative of anyone's idea of "luxury."

Reactions: totoro722
How to make this short....? never mind.

We have owned 3 BMW's a 2007 740i, 2008 535i and a 2014 535d, all fine cars and all cars that have their strengths and weaknesses, these were all my SO's daily drivers and she loved them all, her mantra was "Nothing drives like a BMW!"

I always found Tesla intriguing and I remember reading about them a lot, first one I ever saw in the wild I was in Santa Barbara on the coast behind a roadster when I said "Look honey, that things an all electric super fast sports car!" her response "That's nice honey"

When the S came out I always wanted one but could never justify paying that much for a car so I just imagined how cool it would be to own one.

Fast forward to the 3 announcement and before the reveal I stood in line for 3 1/2 hours at Buena Park, put my money down and made a reservation at about 11 am, wife said "your crazy!" and "I don't want an electric car!" and "What if I run out of juice?"

Fast forward to the BMW my wife is driving, 2014 was our first and so far only leased car so it was time to turn in and still no model 3 so I "loaned" my car to her as I also have a truck for work. (2013 passat tdi, yes dieselgate but I still liked that car) for months she drove that car and for months she would say "I,'m not driving an electric car!" "Let's just go get me another BMW!" It was a lot of work to convince her to wait.

April 24, 2018 and we finally pick up the car, the whole way there I kept hearing "I don't even want a Tesla!" " I don't want an electric car!" " If I don't like this car then you can drive it because I want my BMW back!" We sign papers, get in the car, she is driving and at about the 5 minute mark she looked at me and asked "When are YOU going to get one cause this one's mine!"

There are always tradeoffs with any car Tesla is no different but my wife has a new mantra, can you guess what it is? "Nothing drives like a Tesla!"

We just sold her first Tesla and she was sad to see it go, replaced with a 23' Y and at first she was hesitant about the larger size but has adjusted quickly and loves the extra room (Even though at 5'1" she doesn't need it) and the passengers in the back really appreciate it, She and I do agree on one thing though. Why the heck would you remove the parking sensors! hahaha! I mean.....?

Appreciate everyone's feedback.
Sounds like there is a general agreement that Tesla is not a Luxury car, and if that is what I really wanted, I should get a BMW or MBenz EV if luxury is more important to me that all other things (?).

As for Tesla, sounds like the main motivation is autonomous driving and charging stations? Those are good points, but for the record, my long trip vehicle will have to continue being a three row combustion engine SUV for my family, so charging station makes no different in my decision (I probably should have mentioned that from day 1 in my thread). That leaves me with, do I really value autonomous driving? The answer is yes honestly. Perhaps I should also familiarize myself with the auto-pilot in newer Benz or BMW (newest one I have on both brands is 2020) so non of them had the advanced drive assist as the 2023 model years. I expect Tesla to be better for in-town where I would be mostly using this car, while high-way driving is useless for me as I still have to use a three row SUV that I already have.

Renting a Tesla for one week sounds like a wise suggestion, but it is clear that I should forget about luxury.

Any issues with rattles and road noise though? How about leather quality? Speakers? I can get high end speakers option in other brands, what is the best I can get on a Tesla and how dies it compare to 3D Burmester or B&W 3D surround high-end systems? Those are things I consider to be (outside) the luxury discussion and rather being a (must-have) daily use features. I don't care about massage seats much as I know Tesla won't offer them and am okay with that as long as I get cooled and heated seats. Nice daily-drive in-town drive is what I want, that I can drive with conservative passion and love (am not a fast driver by the way).

Speed, software and usability (hatch, range, charge at home) are the keys to Tesla for me. I don't use FSD or superchargers FWIW.

S and X are smooth and quiet, 3 and Y less so. S is a nicer place to spend time than a new 5-series, and a lot less dated feeling, but it's definitely less luxury and comfortable than a 7-Series or S class. Plus and minuses to all cars.

Everyone's definition of luxury is different based on where you came from.

If you are looking for massaging reclining seats, aroma-therapy scents coming from the vents, and swarovski crystal buttons, you will be disappointed with the interior of a Tesla. On the other hand, the materials uised in the refreshed S and X interior are very nice and feel extremely high end/premium. Nothing in a Tesla feels "cheap". If you are coming from a Chevy, Dodge, or something like that, you will see that the interior is a huge step up.

Bottom line, if all you have ever owned are BMWs, I'd say you would be disappointed with the sparse nature of a Tesla interior (especially a Model 3 or Y).

FSD, which will be usable about the same time Star Citizen is finished. So not in the life of whatever car you buy.

Autopilot, basically fancy cruise control which is nice but hardly unique to Tesla these days.

We will agree to disagree here. I use FSD beta every single day and in the area I live, it works flawlessly without ever needing an intervention. Now, do I think it is capable of level 5 autonomy (or even level 3)? Absolutely not nor will it ever be IMO, but for what it is, it is lightyears ahead of any other system from any other manufacturer (I have tried both Blue Cruise and Super Cruise extensively). Had Tesla called it anything other than FSD, people would be praising it. Elon's overselling of the capabilities does hurt the perception of it though.

my long trip vehicle will have to continue being a three row combustion engine SUV for my family,
I switched from a MB GLS to a Model X several years ago and haven't looked back. I had 4 kids at the time and now have 5. Everyone has their own suitcase when we travel and there is plenty of cargo room for long road trips. The charger stops are usually welcome breaks. What keeps you in your ICE?

I've been lucky enough to own lots of luxury cars, real luxury cars. Our main car is a S580 executive and second daily driver is a MSP. Now I'm a big tech guy and have been driving the Tesla for the last 2 months I've had it everyday. I had to use our S580 last week and honestly it is night and day in terms of luxury and even build quality. The MSP is a nice vehicle, a really nice vehicle and while minimal the alcantara, the matte CF and the clean lines really do make it feel a lot more special. I don't think you really can compare a top of the line MB or BMW with Tesla, there not really in the same league. Personally I've always felt like Tesla is a software company who makes cars, whereas MB or BMW is a car company who makes lousy sw lol. To each his own, I don't regret buying the Tesla whatsoever and I truly enjoy each time I get into it.

Reactions: StevenSD
I’ve not used the frunk in my Model 3 except to put the mobile connector there. It’s a non issue that Tesla stans and YouTubers blow out of proportion. Far from being a deal breaker or “gotcha” moment.
It’s not about it being functional.
It’s just there because it’s a vacant spaced and it is in fact finished nicely.
I actually cut my finger on razor sharp edge under the hood in the i7, trying to feel if the lack of paint is an optical illusion, or real

I’m not bashing - just confirming in my head that the legacy automakers are seriously scrambling trying to catch up