Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW folks comments on Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd invite you to critique cars, but not fellow forum members.

Thanks,

Bruce.
Seriously? I think the critique is absolutely warranted, on topic for this thread, and I did not call out anyone specifically. What is the problem with that?

I don’t see you calling out any members who are expressing the opposite opinion about their “luxury” Model 3’s.

No. But in fairness, I haven’t looked in the trunk of my Model S either. It’s just not useful to me in any meaningful way.
That's not the point, altho I can't imagine sending an unfinished product out to my customer simply because "there's no reason to look inside that compartment"

The point is legacy automakers are wound up in old days and can't progress sufficiently without major reorganization that is required to compete with new age tech companies like Tesla.
I often think they don't want to either, falsely believing that it's just temporary.

So there is really allowance for preference in your retorts it seems? The point still stands that certain ergonomic functions will differ from some companies to the next.

Consumers as a whole are experiencing a lack of buttons in their everyday CE devices. Again I’m not sure if ‘well this has that too’ is addressing the intended inference (‘it’s better’).

Again can’t one just have a preference?
I’m pointing out factual inaccuracies posed by other people eg saying the control panel is unusable without looking at it thereby making it unsafe to use, when that is false.

That has nothing to do with preference.

It’s not a zero sum game. What is unusable to one person can be wonderful to another. Lots of people road trip tens of thousands of miles in Teslas and love it, others couldn’t imagine doing that without massaging seats. Some people thing Tesla service is wonderful while others think it’s the absolute worst. It doesn’t mean anyone is wrong. We all have different perspectives. Stating something as fact when it is really opinion happens a lot on this forum.

That's not the point, altho I can't imagine sending an unfinished product out to my customer simply because "there's no reason to look inside that compartment"

The point is legacy automakers are wound up in old days and can't progress sufficiently without major reorganization that is required to compete with new age tech companies like Tesla.
I often think they don't want to either, falsely believing that it's just temporary.
Are you seriously saying you cannot believe a company would send out an unfinished product on a Tesla forum?

You realize there are plenty of owners that don’t have parking sensors right now, correct?

Missing safety features vs. missing a few cubic feet of storage in a place most people never use? Tough argument to make.

Interesting. I do more long road trips now in my 2017 Tesla Model S than I ever did in any gas car I owned. Just last summer, drove to Nova Scotia and then another trip through Montana, CO and WY. Year before that, to GA and the east coast all from MI. In a couple months, taking the Trans Canada highway from MI to Vancouver CA and then back through the US. I find road tripping much more enjoyable in my Tesla because I find the car relaxing, the AP and the Tesla charging stops work well with when I’m ready for a break anyway.

But for people who prefer cannonball run style road trips, or travel a long distance from any decent charging, then an EV is not for them.
Thanks. I think getting a Tesla as a replacement for our in-town vehicle is a conservatives approach for now. If we really like it, I can then consider trading my other vehicle used for long highway trips but I just can't see how that would be an option though (there is just no way that will work with the options/packages Tesla offers for comfort and true long-trip experience. What I look in a car for long trip is a 1st class type of cabin luxury honestly while spending 8 hours continuously on that seat. Lack of cabin space is another topic as for long trips we need a true SUV anyway.

This thread's only purpose seems inflammatory at this point.
That is your personal opinion. As the OP myself, I got a very useful information here at least for my specific intended use. I also indirectly confirmed that the benefits that current Tesla vehicles would only benefit me for in-town driving and there is no unique offering for long-trips for the way I use my cars, but rather a lot to lose. So the feedback I got her was so informative and useful for me as the OP. The fact some some other folks are taking the critiques about Tesla as a personal issue is something I don't care about; it is all up to them. I guess 90% of folks knows Tesla isn't a car that is good for every and all uses, so I was just trying to find out what are the limits and whether it is a good fit for my intended use for now. Answer seems to be yes, now I just need to decide between a Tesla or an EV from BMW or MBenz. Still trying to learn about experiences of others with their EB MBenz or BMW which seems to be positive too, My ultimate vehicle is the only that fits in-town and highway uses, but am not seeing anything like that in any brand yet (maybe the next X7 EV or the i7 or the EQS) but those are 140-150K and am not planning to risk that investment in an unknown car to me. Needs more research.

Honestly EQS SUV seems to be the best EV vehicles on the market now (it offers EV experience as well as luxury). I don't care about EV charging stations as my monthly 8 hour trip has at least 4 stops for fast charging during that route. Pool of users is so small and feedback I got was limited so am not considering it since it is a huge investment with limited users feedback. Tesla feedback from large pool of users gives me the confident I need about Tesla. Still trying to reach same solid conclusions about EQS SUV as a vehicle.

That is your personal opinion. As the OP myself, I got a very useful information here at least for my specific intended use. I also indirectly confirmed that the benefits that current Tesla vehicles would only benefit me for in-town driving and there is no unique offering for long-trips for the way I use my cars, but rather a lot to lose. So the feedback I got her was so informative and useful for me as the OP. The fact some some other folks are taking the critiques about Tesla as a personal issue is something I don't care about; it is all up to them. I guess 90% of folks knows Tesla isn't a car that is good for every and all uses, so I was just trying to find out what are the limits and whether it is a good fit for my intended use for now. Answer seems to be yes, now I just need to decide between a Tesla or an EV from BMW or MBenz. Still trying to learn about experiences of others with their EB MBenz or BMW which seems to be positive too, My ultimate vehicle is the only that fits in-town and highway uses, but am not seeing anything like that in any brand yet (maybe the next X7 EV or the i7 or the EQS) but those are 140-150K and am not planning to risk that investment in an unknown car to me. Needs more research.

Honestly EQS SUV seems to be the best EV vehicles on the market now (it offers EV experience as well as luxury). I don't care about EV charging stations as my monthly 8 hour trip has at least 4 stops for fast charging during that route. Pool of users is so small and feedback I got was limited so am not considering it since it is a huge investment with limited users feedback. Tesla feedback from large pool of users gives me the confident I need about Tesla. Still trying to reach same solid conclusions about EQS SUV as a vehicle.

For your specific needs, a Tesla (or any EV) may not be a good fit for you. I can tell you that I often take longer trips in my Tesla (3 hours each way) without a problem. I would also not have a problem doing an even longer road trip (6-8+ hours). If you go in with the expectation that for every 2-3 hours you drive, you will need to stop for 20-30 minutes to charge, you will be fine. Of course this means that your 8 hour trip becomes 10 hours but you are overall less fatigued because you are getting a rest/chance to stretch your legs/eat.

If you are the guy who drives 17 hours straight from NJ to FL, peeing in a bottle, and eating in the car, an EV is not for you at this point in time.

--

Specifically about other manufacturers - one gigantic unknown right now is going to be service. Servicing an EV is different from an ICE car. I know first hand how difficult it was getting my Chevy Volt that I owned prior to my Tesla serviced because of all the Chevy dealers in my location, only one was Volt certified and there was only one tech in the dealership was actually able to work on the Volt so even something as simple as an oil change required getting an appointment with the one Volt tech who was able to perform the service. This was a pretty big problem.

I know Tesla service is VERY hit and miss. In my personal experience so far (since 2019), service has been stellar. I can often get an appointment within a day or two and my particular service advisor is extremely communicative through the app with updates and answering questions. This is very much a YMMV situation though and I have definitely heard horror stories from people in other parts of the country.

Specifically about other manufacturers - one gigantic unknown right now is going to be service. Servicing an EV is different from an ICE car. I know first hand how difficult it was getting my Chevy Volt that I owned prior to my Tesla serviced because of all the Chevy dealers in my location, only one was Volt certified and there was only one tech in the dealership was actually able to work on the Volt so even something as simple as an oil change required getting an appointment with the one Volt tech who was able to perform the service. This was a pretty big problem.
Things are very different now than your Volt days. EVs are becoming more mainstream and every dealer should be selling EVs and know how to service them instead of being a niche relatively low volume vehicle like the Volt.

Just like with Tesla, there’s not going to be much required maintenance for other EVs either. That’s part of why a lot of dealers don’t like the EV push because they make a big portion of money from their service department.

For your specific needs, a Tesla (or any EV) may not be a good fit for you. I can tell you that I often take longer trips in my Tesla (3 hours each way) without a problem. I would also not have a problem doing an even longer road trip (6-8+ hours). If you go in with the expectation that for every 2-3 hours you drive, you will need to stop for 20-30 minutes to charge, you will be fine. Of course this means that your 8 hour trip becomes 10 hours but you are overall less fatigued because you are getting a rest/chance to stretch your legs/eat.

If you are the guy who drives 17 hours straight from NJ to FL, peeing in a bottle, and eating in the car, an EV is not for you at this point in time.

--

I know Tesla service is VERY hit and miss. In my personal experience so far (since 2019), service has been stellar. I can often get an appointment within a day or two and my particular service advisor is extremely communicative through the app with updates and answering questions. This is very much a YMMV situation though and I have definitely heard horror stories from people in other parts of the country.
I just looked at a better route planner, I wanted to see how much charging it would take to get from Long Beach, CA to Vancouver, BC for a summer road trip, and I really like that there are so many SC stops available now as its been sometime since we road tripped in a Tesla, used to do it more often back in 2018 and 2019 when we got our new model 3, now we have a new MYAWD and even with the shorter range the over 1,300 mile trip only requires 2 1/2 hours total charging time with 9 short stops, traveling this way and only charinging in the 10% to 60% or 70% keeps the stops short and the charging at peak speeds.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-18 at 12.31.34 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-18 at 12.31.34 PM.png
    778 KB · Views: 55
I am not sure why some users here try to convince me about taking a Tesla for long trips without proving a single point wherein the Tesla has more benefits for me than my other highway vehicles that also offer luxury trip experience. I only see benefits for in-town daily drive but zero benefits in the switch relatively for highway. Maybe if I did not have a highway drive car, and my highway was a Pilot or Highlander, then yeah, but not when the highway vehicle is a true high-end vehicle that has nearly 10-15 options that Tesla don't offer. I don't care about what is spinning the wheels, I care less, for highway use it is all about a comfortable commuting and luxury seating feeling on highway.

If it's all about autonomous driving, things have changed since 2022. Both BMW and Mbenz offer true highway full hands-free driving (seems like most people here don't recognize how good other brands had gotten? Don't tell me about your former 2020 vehicle, am taking 2022 and after. Check the new i7 or 7-series or S-class full hands-free highway driving system; even GM offers true hands-free now without phantom braking) . My 8 hours trip truly takes LESS than 5 min of my special attention time where I need to take actions. On highway, it is 100% hands-free. Time has passed and things changed since last year, This is no longer a Tesla only feature. There is no reason whatsoever for me to leave my premium highway trips drive for a Tesla that don't even offer the basics needed for long trips such as no cooling seats, no high-end and/or 3D speakers, no ambient air packages, no rear seat entertainments, no true adaptive "euro-spec like" headlights, no roomy SUV option, no soft ride compared to DHP or MBC, NO AM SORRY. We can argue that we don't need them, but why on earth would I leave them behind for a car that gives me nothing in return other than 1-2 hours of additional charge time!??? I don't see the benefits beyond being a replacement of our current in-town daily drive and most replies here confirm the same. There isn't a single strong argument as to why (for my specific use) I should consider it as a replacement for highway trips, but yes it is good for in-town daily drive.

Last edited:
Reactions: E90alex
I am not sure why some users here try to convince me about taking a Tesla for long trips without proving a single point wherein the Tesla has more benefits for me than my other highway vehicles that also offer luxury trip experience. I only see benefits for in-town daily drive but zero benefits in the switch relatively for highway. Maybe if I did not have a highway drive car, and my highway was a Pilot or Highlander, then yeah, but not when the highway vehicle is a true high-end vehicle that has nearly 10-15 options that Tesla don't offer. I don't care about what is spinning the wheels, I care less, for highway use it is all about a comfortable commuting and luxury seating feeling on highway.

If it's all about autonomous driving, things have changes since 2022. Both BMW and Mbenz offer true highway full hands-free driving. My 8 hours trip truly takes LESS than 5 min of my special attention time where I need to take actions. On highway, it is 100% hands-free. Time has passed and things changed since last year, This no longer a Tesla only feature. There is no reason whatsoever for me to leave my premium drive for a Tesla that don't even offer the basics needed for long trips such as no cooling seats, no high-end speakers, no ambient air packages, no rear seat entertainments, no true adaptive "euro-spec like" headlights, no roomy SUV option, no soft ride compared to DHP or MBC, NO AM SORRY. We can argue that we don't need them, but why on earth would I leave them behind for a car that gives me nothing in return other than 1-2 hours of additional charge time!??? I don't see the benefits beyond being a replacement of our current in-town daily drive.
Do or don’t. That is up to you.

Since we're discussing the topic, any disadvantages if I consider a pre-owned 2021 (refresh interior) Model S with 10K Miles, instead of searching for 2022? The one I see is offered for 76K miles and it has cream interior. What am I losing by passing on the 2022 in exchange to getting much cheaper 2021 with 10K miles?

Are you seriously saying you cannot believe a company would send out an unfinished product on a Tesla forum?

You realize there are plenty of owners that don’t have parking sensors right now, correct?

Missing safety features vs. missing a few cubic feet of storage in a place most people never use? Tough argument to make.
That's Teslas quality problem,
What I saw was purposefully engineered negligence, with rough sprayed paint, razor sharp edges, and a pile of random wires where engine used to sit.
It's BMW after all - shouldn't it be refined? Why not put a finished compartment there and hide all the electronics underbody where it should be in an EV.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: glide
That's Teslas quality problem,
What I saw was purposefully engineered negligence, with rough sprayed paint, razor sharp edges, and a pile of random wires where engine used to sit.
It's BMW after all - shouldn't it be refined? Why not put a finished compartment there and hide all the electronics underbody where it should be in an EV.
I must admit tho - this particular exchange brings nothing valuable to the conversation OP started.
Im just voicing my anger, that my favorite brand ( yes BMW) is so ignorant.