Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW G05 X5 to Tesla Model Y LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Evening All,

Just thought I'd introduce myself to the forum and say hi 🙋‍♂️

With the rising cost of fuel, my wife and I decided to test drive a model Y last week and have now made the decision to make the switch from our 2021 X5. Quite different vehicles, and there are clear pros and cons with each, but for now the Y matches up well against our needs as a family and I'm looking forward to getting it.

Lots of useful information on here that helped me pick my spec (white over black with induction wheels) and I've spotted at least one name from over on F30post @teaston

Cheers!

Evening All,

With the rising cost of fuel, my wife and I decided to test drive a model Y last week and have now made the decision to make the switch from our 2021 X5. Quite different vehicles, and there are clear pros and cons with each, but for now the Y matches up well against our needs as a family and I'm looking forward to getting it.

Lots of useful information on here that helped me pick my spec (white over black with induction wheels) and I've spotted at least one name from over on F30post @teaston

Cheers!
Picking up our MY today from Manchester. Trading in G05 2020 X5 30d. Can’t wait. X5 is a nice car but £130 for 500 miles is a lot. Service costs are high. Tax is £490 for the year.

I swapped my G31 5 series touring for a M3 last Autumn and after 5000 miles I’ve not regretted it once. I was a huge BMW fan but the Tesla experience has been excellent. I admit I miss the hatch boot (I’d have bought a Y if it’d been out then) but that’s it.

The user interface was my biggest worry and I’ve found it easy to adapt. Although I do use Autopilot a lot, even around town, if I’m doing something that requires a few clicks.

The performance, ride and quality are all on a par with BMW. The efficiency of the new i4 snd iX3 are poor compared to Tesla, and the price is ridiculous in comparison (in the UK).

Enjoy you’re new car!

Picking up our MY today from Manchester. Trading in G05 2020 X5 30d. Can’t wait. X5 is a nice car but £130 for 500 miles is a lot. Service costs are high. Tax is £490 for the year.
It is a rip-off when you consider what Tesla offers with any of its car. I am ok to pay that sort of money to fill a maserati or even a Alfa Stelvio Q not a BMW.

Reactions: Adam1983
How does it compare?
I posted a Drive Assist comparison on the bimmerpost forum. I had a M3LR at the time but the AP features apply pretty much the same of course.

Taking drive assist out of the equation, and all other ICE vs EV considerations, I'd say that the G05 is better in:
  • Looks - personal preference but I think the G05 just looks more imposing
  • Ride quality - the air suspension on the G05 is vastly superior to the crash suspension of the MYLR on 19" (41 psi). The whole car reverberates when you hit a minor pothole. I can hear the parcel shelf and headrests moving loudly, whereas in the G05 it wouldn't even be noticeable. I find the ride quality of the MYLR to be poor on certain road types and is its biggest failing. More so than my M3LR on 18".
  • Build quality - My MiC M3LR had 10 service visits to resolve rattles and squeaks. Most were sorted (door cards replaced, window seals Krytox, seats bases secured, set belt holder replacement, etc) but I also sorted some A, B and C pillar interior movement myself. The MYLR centre rear headrest has a bad rattle and can be easily reproduced just by gently touching it. The seat belts need to be secured or will rattle. The whole bench rattles except when reclined. I'm hoping a SC visit will resolve these issues as the rest of the car seems solidly built. More so than then M3. Conversely, the G05 was superbly built with a luxurious finish.
Everything else, the MY wins and I wouldn't go back, which is testimony to how good the cars are considering the issues outlined above. I just wish they offered adaptive dampers or air suspension.....

BMW X5 Forum (G05) - View Single Post - Tesla Self Driving vs. BMW Driver Assistance Professional (bimmerpost.com)

Reactions: UrbanSplash
I posted a Drive Assist comparison on the bimmerpost forum. I had a M3LR at the time but the AP features apply pretty much the same of course.

Taking drive assist out of the equation, and all other ICE vs EV considerations, I'd say that the G05 is better in:
  • Looks - personal preference but I think the G05 just looks more imposing
  • Ride quality - the air suspension on the G05 is vastly superior to the crash suspension of the MYLR on 19" (41 psi). The whole car reverberates when you hit a minor pothole. I can hear the parcel shelf and headrests moving loudly, whereas in the G05 it wouldn't even be noticeable. I find the ride quality of the MYLR to be poor on certain road types and is its biggest failing. More so than my M3LR on 18".
  • Build quality - My MiC M3LR had 10 service visits to resolve rattles and squeaks. Most were sorted (door cards replaced, window seals Krytox, seats bases secured, set belt holder replacement, etc) but I also sorted some A, B and C pillar interior movement myself. The MYLR centre rear headrest has a bad rattle and can be easily reproduced just by gently touching it. The seat belts need to be secured or will rattle. The whole bench rattles except when reclined. I'm hoping a SC visit will resolve these issues as the rest of the car seems solidly built. More so than then M3. Conversely, the G05 was superbly built with a luxurious finish.
Everything else, the MY wins and I wouldn't go back, which is testimony to how good the cars are considering the issues outlined above. I just wish they offered adaptive dampers or air suspension.....

BMW X5 Forum (G05) - View Single Post - Tesla Self Driving vs. BMW Driver Assistance Professional (bimmerpost.com)
Agree, the Y would be just about the perfect car with air suspension.

I don’t think adaptive dampers would help much, apparently the firmness is from the spring rates rather than stiffness of the dampers.

Reactions: eaglesrest
I am keeping an X5 despite getting a MYLR since my family is not convinced about a complete switchover yet. Personally I feel both serve different use cases. Of course, with rising fuel prices I have reduced my usage of X5 to only long distance day trips involving family and a lease cost is still cheaper than a weekly rental.

I posted a Drive Assist comparison on the bimmerpost forum

"DAP/AP on motorways I have yet to have AP disengage in 5000 miles of driving on motorways. It is rock solid compared to the BMW. It works in heavy rain, snow, even when I cant see the lane markers it hangs in there"

You mark that as a draw?

"There are reports of phantom braking but I haven’t had one yet"

Lucky you :cool:. Although I do wonder if some of the reason for that is sensor calibration, and if that's the case then yours are set well.

"BMW also recognises temporary speed limit values on motorway gantries"

I've had that come and go with Tesla AP. No idea why ... currently it hasn't recognised them for quite a while

"Tesla hardly ever automatically adjusts the cruise speed"

Not my experience (Motorway excepted) (but you may be thinking of different scenario?). On a 60 MPH A-road, enter a 40 MPH zone it will slow down (AFTER the sign, as you mentioned, which is definitely Pants and I am pretty sure results in use of friction brakes rather than just regen), then a 30 MPH it slows again, then back into the 40 it will speed up, and when I come out of that it will resume 60.

If I start my journey in, say, a 30 zone then it will not speed up when I exit that (until I override)

"[traffic lights] you have to acknowledge the green lights or it stops (stupid system)"

I'm happy with that on the assumption that Tesla consider that the system is not fool proof - my guess is that a complex crossing with filters might have both green and red lights nearby each other, and maybe AP can then get that that wrong. Dab accelerator when the traffic lights alert comes up is fine by me - also means I'm ready to brake if they turn orange (too soon!)

"Tesla wins with summon"

Anyone use that for real? I've used it to drive the (parked) car out of a puddle so I didn't get wet feet. But it is so ponderous that its an embarrassment to demo to friends even!

Reactions: Beady3647
I’m coming out of a 40d, and even with the mild hybrid tech it’s still a lot in fuel. Although 30mpg around town in that type of car isn’t actually too bad.

Agree with many of the comparisons already made, and looks wise and interior I still think the G05 X5 is a class above. The MY is a lot closer than I’d expected though, and I do like the clean minimalist design. Quality of materials and fit and finish are also very good, much better than they were in my F15 X5.

I’ll miss some of the design touches like the LEDs in the “sky lounge” panoramic roof, and the light up speakers of the B&W stereo. That said, the sound system was a £3k option and not worth it in my opinion (HK probably sweet spot but not available at time of order and base HiFi was junk on a £60k plus car). The stereo in the MY in comparison was particularly impressive, with notably good bass extension.

On the driving front, the BMW is very refined and quiet and ride on the 22s is good. I’d say the MY on the 20s felt a bit firmer, but again perfectly acceptable. Where the Tesla excels is in low speed driving, where it’s obviously serenely quiet, and the smooth and linear power delivery is terrific.

Before even talking about fuel cost savings, the MY (IMO) represents great value for money given the performance on offer and the standard equipment (adaptive cruise, heated seats and wheel, glass roof, good stereo, etc) which all tend to be options costing £££s on the beemer.

Looking forward to making the switch over to electric and thank you to all for the welcome to the forum!

"DAP/AP on motorways I have yet to have AP disengage in 5000 miles of driving on motorways. It is rock solid compared to the BMW. It works in heavy rain, snow, even when I cant see the lane markers it hangs in there"

You mark that as a draw?
Yeah, that's ambiguous - I meant the lane change systems were a draw (without coding on the G05). Tesla AP wins on motorways overall.

"There are reports of phantom braking but I haven’t had one yet"

Lucky you :cool:. Although I do wonder if some of the reason for that is sensor calibration, and if that's the case then yours are set well.
Don't get me wrong, I've had it brake in scenarios where I wouldn't expect it to, but the reason has always been apparent.

"BMW also recognises temporary speed limit values on motorway gantries"

I've had that come and go with Tesla AP. No idea why ... currently it hasn't recognised them for quite a while
Yep, never seen it do that in 8k miles on the Tesla, and I've looked for it. Conversely I've seen the BMW system misread physical temporary speed limit signs left by work men on the side of the road, slamming the brakes on to the perceived new limit. Scary!

"Tesla hardly ever automatically adjusts the cruise speed"

Not my experience (Motorway excepted) (but you may be thinking of different scenario?). On a 60 MPH A-road, enter a 40 MPH zone it will slow down (AFTER the sign, as you mentioned, which is definitely Pants and I am pretty sure results in use of friction brakes rather than just regen), then a 30 MPH it slows again, then back into the 40 it will speed up, and when I come out of that it will resume 60.

If I start my journey in, say, a 30 zone then it will not speed up when I exit that (until I override)
Let me check that again. I'm constantly having to long press the right stalk or tap the speed limit sign to adjust. It definitely doesn't work consistently like the BMW system.

"[traffic lights] you have to acknowledge the green lights or it stops (stupid system)"

I'm happy with that on the assumption that Tesla consider that the system is not fool proof - my guess is that a complex crossing with filters might have both green and red lights nearby each other, and maybe AP can then get that that wrong. Dab accelerator when the traffic lights alert comes up is fine by me - also means I'm ready to brake if they turn orange (too soon!)
I find it a bit pointless in its current UK iteration, and I'd rather have it turned off.

Agreed, UK Summon is a gimmick. Almost as pointless as the geofenced BMW window open feature.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Evening All,

Cheers!
Welcome, I was tisme on Bimmerpost and I inhabited the F80 M3 Forum. I also swapped from BMW to Tesla going from an M3 BMW to an M3 Tesla. :)

I've seen the BMW system misread physical temporary speed limit signs left by work men on the side of the road

Back when I had MS with previous Mobile Eye AP there is a sign on A1 South (bit north of Peterborough AFAICR) which has a 50 Circle, and then under that "In 1/2 mile". Confusing for cars behind me when car slammed on the brakes!

I've had it brake in scenarios where I wouldn't expect it to, but the reason has always been apparent
Yup ... but I also, occasionally, get it braking approaching to pass a big juggernaut. To my eye same colour, size, road position, sun angle, day-light strength :cool: as all the other juggernauts I have passed that day.

If I took a 17 year old out for their first drive I would be able to anticipate every daft thing that were likely to do. With AI my concern is that I have no intuition, at all, for when it might do something weird. There are a few near misses, where I have taken over, where something was "poking out into my lane". After recent storm a tree which came down had been cut off a foot into!! the road; White Van Man parked 90% on the pavement. And then I also have "I'm not sure about this I'm just going to brake heavily" for no reason that I can fathom (for me that's not very common). The rest of the time, I'm amazed at what it recognises and deals with.

I love going out on bins day. The dash visualisation shows every wheelie bin along the pavement as a "threat" :)

I'm constantly having to long press the right stalk or tap the speed limit sign to adjust. It definitely doesn't work consistently like the BMW system.

I wonder if there is a setting? Although ... I can't think of one. I have this behaviour (on A-Road slow down from 60 for a 30, and speed back up when leaving the limit) on all the cars on my account (family members), MS, M3 and MY and with FSD, EAP and AP amongst those. Although I'm pretty sure I've read of others who have not had AP adapting to speed limits correctly (albeit a while ago) so there may be something that needs fiddling with.

the geofenced BMW window open feature

Before I used TelaFi I used something similar (name escapes me, the site no longer exists) where you could draw a polygon outline on a map (e.g. the roads around where you park to drop off Sprog for After School Activity) and it would do things like "Keep climate on" if you parked there. Supermarket carpark too ... that was before the car had CAMP mode. And of course scheduled charging at Home remembers the charging hours cheap-rate for that location, all good stuff.

TeslaFi has geofence location as well (but its a circle, not a polygon, good enough for most situations / car parks). I have it scheduled to turn climate on if at work, shortly before I would normally leave. Also, the work charger sometimes trips, really annoying to find out only at the end of the day, so I have alerts if plugged in; at work; and charge level is less than X% at 13:00, Y% at 14:00 etc.

When I was commuting to work it would drop the charge limit 10% at start of overnight off peak, and raise it again (and start charging if stopped) just the right amount of time before end of cheap rate to be at desired level - which also gave me a warm battery in winter.

Can't imagine what I ever did before I had all this complexity, choice and opportunity!

I remember when central locking came in being able to give up my original chivalrous behaviour of opening my passenger's door for them ...

Reactions: eaglesrest
I’ve seen your posts on those other forums and was tempted to try and code my wife’s car until I read over the air software updates on the BMW clears them. The main one is automatic lane change but that’s another story.

I think your comparison is pretty accurate. Where I find the BMW system better and not something I noticed is communication, I like the count down it offers as you approach a change in speed limit, a roundabout, a tight bend etc. I feel I know what the bmw is thinking, I’ve no idea what our Tesla is doing. It’s also great the way the bmw system will just pick up again. Overall I prefer the BMW system.

I am keeping an X5 despite getting a MYLR since my family is not convinced about a complete switchover yet. Personally I feel both serve different use cases. Of course, with rising fuel prices I have reduced my usage of X5 to only long distance day trips involving family and a lease cost is still cheaper than a weekly rental.
Likewise. I love my X5 - interior quality, refinement, ambient lighting, air suspension and presence and really is only used for the odd school run when my wife is not working at home or longer journeys. Saying that I plan to take the M3LR to Normandy this Spring. I’m stuck with the X5 for another two years as it’s leased but has a service pack so costs are manageable. Prefer driving the M3 - even though you feel every bit of the road through the steering wheel.

I’ve seen your posts on those other forums and was tempted to try and code my wife’s car until I read over the air software updates on the BMW clears them. The main one is automatic lane change but that’s another story.

I think your comparison is pretty accurate. Where I find the BMW system better and not something I noticed is communication, I like the count down it offers as you approach a change in speed limit, a roundabout, a tight bend etc. I feel I know what the bmw is thinking, I’ve no idea what our Tesla is doing. It’s also great the way the bmw system will just pick up again. Overall I prefer the BMW system.
I did a tutorial on the other forum on how to code auto lane change with esys alone. If you write the FA without '8TR' in it, VO Code the 3 ECU, then it will stick post OTA and dealer updates.

The super quick US version of lane change requires FDL coding and a launcher so probably not worth the effort, especially with Launcher Pro and ESYSX no longer available, at least not for newer BMW i-step.

I prefer the Tesla system on 2-3 lane roads/motorways, but the BMW system on single lane roads.