Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How is the i3 following a 'visionary path'? I lived in Germany for a year and don't remember fun having a different definition over there either.

Design and Concept.

Modern cars have to rethink the usage of class in order to improve visibility. The carbon chassis allows more freedom in design. You can't create an i3 with a conventional steel or alu chassis.

Furthermore you don't need wider tires and high levels of grip to have fun on an open road. A rigid construction with a balanced setup is more important. The i3 felt really responsive,nimble and agile.

One big problem I had with the Model S is the sheer size.

I agree that increased use of carbon fiber (and in the long term, carbon nanotubes) is the future. So, props to BMW for pushing that issue.

But they could certainly have made their cars less ugly and more functional. It is completely ridiculous that the driver has to undo the seat belt and open his door to be able to open the passenger door. If that is the cost of using carbon-fiber (I'm not saying it is), it will be hard to win people over.

I agree that increased use of carbon fiber (and in the long term, carbon nanotubes) is the future. So, props to BMW for pushing that issue.

But they could certainly have made their cars less ugly and more functional. It is completely ridiculous that the driver has to undo the seat belt and open his door to be able to open the passenger door. If that is the cost of using carbon-fiber (I'm not saying it is), it will be hard to win people over.

I'll reserve judgment until I drive one, but everything I've seen regarding new BMWs leaves me pretty pessimistic about how much fun the i3 will be. I drove an F10 535 6MT and was disappointed to realize it was just awful--numb, sluggish, and a complete snooze. My experience with the F30 328 and 335 was similar; they are less numb than the 5 but no more fun.

IMHO, BMW has completely lost the plot. I've had more of them than I can count, but tomorrow I'm selling my current one to make room for the MS, and I don't know when--or if--I'll ever buy another.

Maybe the i3 is totally different. Maybe it still has the spark that used to set BMWs apart. But I am not holding my breath.

I'm glad the EV market is getting choices as major manufacturers try to catch up with Tesla. The i3 is not in the same class as the MS in any way that I can see. It seems to compete with the Leaf and (with the REX) with the Volt. I assume the i5 will cost more and if it competes with Gen3 it'll get crushed. But, as I said I'm glad to see we're getting choices. The MS is clearly STILL in a class by itself.

Design and Concept.

Modern cars have to rethink the usage of class in order to improve visibility. The carbon chassis allows more freedom in design. You can't create an i3 with a conventional steel or alu chassis.

Furthermore you don't need wider tires and high levels of grip to have fun on an open road. A rigid construction with a balanced setup is more important. The i3 felt really responsive,nimble and agile.

Sure but acceleration helps. So does range. How much 'fun' on the open road can you have in Germany driving at 120_mph like you enjoy with the i3 before you have to turn around and go home. 20 miles (40 miles round trip)?

You could have more 'fun' with a tiny city car in a large city because it is easier to park...etc but most people understand the performance and handling when you say that.

Furthermore you don't need wider tires and high levels of grip to have fun on an open road. A rigid construction with a balanced setup is more important.

I guess it depends on your definition of fun.

Under my definition you do.

Some Americans in coastal areas who grew up with nothing but imported automobiles and many outside North America feel the same way.

That is why Tesla is coming with Model E and BMW has a 3 series in addition to 7 series and MB has C class in addition to S class.

But the powerful full size class is significant and very profitable. For a manufacture starting out with mass production it makes absolute sense to start there.

Franz von Holzhausen, was asked about the BMW i3, he likened the model to a piece of IKEA furniture.
Speaking to Autobild, von Holzhausen said he considers the i3 "the myth of the Ultimate Driving Machine" as he isn't sure that it meets the "basic standards of the brand." While he did compliment the modern interior, he said the carhttp://www.worldcarfans.com/113120667230/tesla-chief-designer-says-the-bmw-i3-is-like-a-piece-of# looks a "bit strange and unconventional" which is unnecessary because the proportions and electric powertrain are unique enough.

Franz von Holzhausen, was asked about the BMW i3, he likened the model to a piece of IKEA furniture.
Speaking to Autobild, von Holzhausen said he considers the i3 "the myth of the Ultimate Driving Machine" as he isn't sure that it meets the "basic standards of the brand." While he did compliment the modern interior, he said the car looks a "bit strange and unconventional" which is unnecessary because the proportions and electric powertrain are unique enough.

I wish Tesla would stop with the bragging and bluster, a feel little more modesty would suit them better. While I think the MS is gorgeous and perfectly judged, I honestly don't think the MX looks that great. If I were comparing it to furniture stores I would go with...what's that large mega store I went to where they had 50 different kinds of office chair...can't remember the name...that. I think it's time for him to come up with an inspirational design for the MX; the engineering is already done. I don't think the MX is good enough to be an Ikea. FVH; stop sniping at BMW and do what you do best :mad:...

+1 Stop taking pot shots at Boeing, Frisker, BMW, Volt, Leaf. There has been atleast one negative comment in the public on each of those.

This reminds me of Steve Balmer (?) taking down on iPhone when it was first released and it came back to haunt him and Microsoft.

Regarding Franz's comments... The asked a designer what he thought about a design. He gave an honest answer rather than a filtered one. I find it a good thing.

It's not like he belabored it and talked up the S. And yes, Tesla does seem to do that sometimes but this was not one of those cases, IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

A short piece by someone who’s driven a Carrera GT of all cars
I really like the time efficiency and editing of this video. Very little of the "arguable opinion" detours, more of the facts.

I wish more of the car reviews I read/saw were like this.

Kudos to them.

I agree the video is one of the better ones I have seen. The one appealing feature of the I3 is the range extender which I would consider if they ever upgrade the tank. While I would love a Model S for the wife the reality is we need a road car and even the Super chargers planned for 2015 will not allow us to get to her parents in Mississippi, or my family in Pittsburgh without at least an hour detour on the route along with a few hours of charging. Not a good option for us unless they change some super charger locations.

It would be great for my usage pattern actually - barely any petrol running at all except for maybe 2 trips a year and even they would be on one tank.

I wasn't sold on the styling until I saw the all black one with the turbine wheels. That not only masks the quirky design, it positively looks good.

Folks here need to chill with the negativity and the borderline racist comments too.

i do not mind the cars looks, and drive around 7000 km a year, so a car like this fits my needs rather nicely.
while our family plans to get an x for my wife to drive, i much prefer a smaller car to the model 's' and the 'e' will not be around for at least 3 years, so this is a very intriguing car. will test drive when i can.

+1 on the Tesla execs potshots, and lack of professionalism. best to remain above the fray.

+1 Stop taking pot shots at Boeing, Frisker, BMW, Volt, Leaf. There has been atleast one negative comment in the public on each of those.

This reminds me of Steve Balmer (?) taking down on iPhone when it was first released and it came back to haunt him and Microsoft.
Ballmer Laughs at iPhone - YouTube :D

Now AAPL market cap is well beyond MSFT (MSFT,AAPL | Stock Prices | Quote Comparison | YAHOO! Finance) and if you download the data summary from Apple - Press Info - Apple Reports Fourth Quarter Results, you'll see the iPhone revenue alone exceeds all of MSFT combined (Microsoft Investor Relations - Press Releases). This happens from time to time...

Last edited:
It is a small vehicle. If one likes a small vehicle, I'm sure the i3 is more fun. (Just get rid of the standard tires!)

I agree with what Johan said - it's good we have different thoughts about what cars we like. More options is always good.
I just wish someone would build a car that actually competes with the Model S. I had hoped BMW with all their beautiful sedans would be the one, but clearly they are not.