Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had my first i3 sighting somewhere near Menlo Park on Hwy 101; it was going in the opposite direction at speed with no headlights on :cursing: despite the rain here today.

The front's unmistakable and the car's raised profile made it very visible even over the concrete hwy divider. Was definitely distinctive. As I glanced at the back in my side mirror, for some reason, it immediately reminded me of Walter White's Pontiac Aztek in Breaking Bad :D

Think I saw the same i3 at the Woodside Rd exit this morning. Lights off. Was larger/boxier than I expected. The photos definitely show the most flattering angles.

I wonder how many potential Leaf and i3 buyers ask "can it charge at Tesla Superchargers?"

A fair number of them, I'm sure. Not that many Tesla SCs - that are in between towns along highways - are even reachable given these cars' range.

There was that unfortunate incident when a lady was trying to plug her Leaf (?) in at the Hawthorne SC. Charging site apps may lead some people to such SC locations.

i have to admit, that the Telsa is probably the best EV out there. My comparison would be to Tennis. The Model S is steffi graf, the BMW I8 is chris evert and the karma is anna, the performance and looks i think match very well ;-)
Steffi-Graf.jpg
chris-Evert-backhand.jpg
anna-kournikova-2422.jpg

Think I saw the same i3 at the Woodside Rd exit this morning. Lights off. Was larger/boxier than I expected. The photos definitely show the most flattering angles.
I think a lot of drivers of new cars get told that there is the nice auto light feature and then find out that you have to set the option in menus to turn on lights when the wipers run. I don't know why manufacturers make the default for that off but it seems to be the trend. I do get annoyed at lack of lights or turn signals in a lot of drivers but in the rain with a car with temp plates I give them a qualified pass.

I think a lot of drivers of new cars get told that there is the nice auto light feature and then find out that you have to set the option in menus to turn on lights when the wipers run. I don't know why manufacturers make the default for that off but it seems to be the trend. I do get annoyed at lack of lights or turn signals in a lot of drivers but in the rain with a car with temp plates I give them a qualified pass.

I wonder if it's different in California, since it's the law that you have to have your lights on when the windshield wipers are on. I bet manufacturers added the feature for that reason, but only turn it on for cars sold in California.

My wife's i3 is due to arrive a month or two before my Model S here in the UK.

It is not fair to compare the cars, they are designed for very different purposes. I think the average commute here in the UK is something like 25 miles a day, my wife does 32 miles a day (16 each way) M-F and that's about it...

It is a very 'nippy' (7.1 to 62mph BEV) little commute car, the interior is nice enough and it looks a lot better in person than in pictures in my opinion...

Both great cars for different purposes...

- - - Updated - - -

And I should have said... we were hours away from signing the paperwork on a Leaf for my wife's commute car when we decided to do a double check and discovered the newly available i3...

In our opinion... not even close... the Leaf 'feels' like an ICE with electric added... the i3 feels and looks electric from the ground up...

And for us the financials were only slightly different... so it was a no brainer...