Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i4 40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my Tesla M3 LR for 2 years and there are lots of things I like about Tesla and lots of things I don't like (hence I am considering a change to the BMW i4 40).

Anybody on here any first hand eperience of this car?

I test drove both the i40 and the M50 versions about a year ago. They felt heavy and a bit ponderous to me. I also felt that they didn't put their power down nearly as well as the Tesla (I have a 2019 M3P). I also got annoyed at the sales model of 'extras' - was really surprised to see that even the M50 version didn't have adaptive cruise as standard, at the time it was part of a 'pack' of extras that cost around £1,200, and the other components were not wanted. I really liked the interior though, and it's quieter than my car and rides better (which may no longer be the case with the Highland).

Reactions: timnd
Would you ask a BMW forum about Model 3H considering a change to Tesla? - I wouldn’t and I will try and find from the Tesla forum. I did not say strictly no - but he might get some useful information if he is on a relevant forum. But if he is set out to entertain some TMC forum members about wipers/AP?vision comments then he is on the right forum.

Reactions: Ian James
Would you ask a BMW forum about Model 3H considering a change to Tesla? - I wouldn’t and I will try and find from the Tesla forum. I did not say strictly no - but he might get some useful information if he is on a relevant forum. But if he is set out to entertain some TMC forum members about wipers/AP?vision comments then he is on the right forum.
Most of these forums are populated by people who like to hear what they want to hear. Before this Tesla I had Porche and before that Audi and before that BMW and it was the same ‘echo chamber’ posts on those forums. I would expect the people on the BMW forum to tell me how great the BMW is, that what the ‘tribe’ does. I posted this on this forum because it is an EV forum and the BMW is an EV and in the hope of hearing some objective views from people with first hand experience. Sensible or unrealistic?

This may have some relevance
Thanks - all good stuff. Of course we are all dufferent and we make our choices on what is important to us. The M3 is very fast and very nimble which I nice to have but I am more of a commuter than a driver. On my recent long ranage trip over Christmas, duringt he journey I ponderede on my list of what was importnat in a car for me and fats was not on the list

May be then for a really objective opinion a non-car forum may be the ideal choice applying your logic.
1704213121548.png

Best go test drive and see. No one thinks the same and there will always be a bias one way or the other... and then you have those that are neither here or there because they have to hand their back car every so often...

I test drove an i4 when I was looking to change from my M3P last year.

Very well put together car, nice materials etc.. drove nicely too (just like a regular BMW really, just a bit smoother), the massive grille doesn't look as bad in real life either.

What put me off was lack of performance comparative to the M3P in any of the specs, especially for the price and convoluted infotainment system, why click twice when you can try and find the option buried 6 layers deep. Maybe once everything is setup to your liking it's less of an issue, but wasn't a fan of it at all, the selector felt a very dated and cumbersome way around the menus too.