Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How can you compare the Fisker with the i8? The Fisker is massive, it’s 700kg heavier than the BMW. Everything in this car is pure old tech. I could argue in the same way and claim that the Model S is essentially a bigger Renault Zoe. These cars have nothing in common and comparing them is pure ignorance.
A Lotus Evora has been my daily driver for 3 years and 90.000km. The i8 is completely, entirely different. It does a lot more things much better.
And finally just get one fact straight: The BMW i8 is faster than the Model S. Anywhere, anytime. Just live with it folks.

You're right that the i8 is faster meaning higher top speed, my Model S tops out at 215 kph while the i8 goes to 250 kph, maybe even higher? The i8, as tested in AutoBild is however not quicker than my P85, if you saw my screen dump from my own straight-line acceleration testing a Model S does 0-100 kph in 4.1 seconds, AutoBild tests the i8 at 4.2 seconds. Now you will probably say that the i8 is quicker going 100 kph to 200 kph which is probably true. However, all in all, it's not very impressive for a small sports car that comfortably seats two and weighs considerably less than the Model S.

And finally just get one fact straight: The BMW i8 is faster than the Model S. Anywhere, anytime. Just live with it folks.
It'd better be. It's a $135,000 2-door sports car.

Road and Track had very mixed impressions:
10 Things We Learned About the 2015 BMW i8 - First Drives - Road & Track

The i8 fared well on performance specs relative to the S, though the 5-60 times (i.e. with rollout) were quite bad. Not nearly as well as you'd expect against other 2-door sports cars, but the i8 performance was at least decent compared to a heavy 4 door 5+2 passenger Model S.

You're right that the i8 is faster meaning higher top speed, my Model S tops out at 215 kph while the i8 goes to 250 kph, maybe even higher? The i8, as tested in AutoBild is however not quicker than my P85, if you saw my screen dump from my own straight-line acceleration testing a Model S does 0-100 kph in 4.1 seconds, AutoBild tests the i8 at 4.2 seconds. Now you will probably say that the i8 is quicker going 100 kph to 200 kph which is probably true. However, all in all, it's not very impressive for a small sports car that comfortably seats two and weighs considerably less than the Model S.

As I wrote, german magazines test with 2 persons and equipment. It did 4,3 under these conditions whereas the Model S did 4,7.

The Model S instant acceleration of the line is one of it's great strengths. We have seen videos here with the Model S outperfoming a Corvette C7. If the i8 can beat the Model S through the 1/4 it's certainly no lame duck.

As I wrote, german magazines test with 2 persons and equipment. It did 4,3 under these conditions whereas the Model S did 4,7.

The Model S instant acceleration of the line is one of it's great strengths. We have seen videos here with the Model S outperfoming a Corvette C7. If the i8 can beat the Model S through the 1/4 it's certainly no lame duck.
So one out of a dozen tests goes to the i8, and that makes it automatically quicker? At the rate that you spew BS, your screen-name needs to be changed pronto.

So now when faced with the fact that every similarly priced performance ICE vehicle spanks the i8 in every category, your defense is the very thing you dogged the Model S for? Unbelievable.

Face it, the i8 is a Fisker reborn. Nothing less, nothing more. It is mediocre in every category that sports cars are graded upon.

Exactly. Realist slammed the Model S for not being a 150mph all day track car now all of a sudden track performs doesn't matter for the i8 because and multiple people here said 99% of drivers never track their car anyway? Smells like a BMW commercial and rather funny actually.

- - - Updated - - -

And there are 10 other magazine test that give the Model S P85/+ a 3.9-4.2 second 0-60 time. Really, you think they were lying or all didn't know how to time a car. Road and Track messed up?

- - - Updated - - -

How can you compare the Fisker with the i8? The Fisker is massive, it’s 700kg heavier than the BMW. Everything in this car is pure old tech. I could argue in the same way and claim that the Model S is essentially a bigger Renault Zoe. These cars have nothing in common and comparing them is pure ignorance.
A Lotus Evora has been my daily driver for 3 years and 90.000km. The i8 is completely, entirely different. It does a lot more things much better.

How can you compare the i8 to the Model S? Are you really being a realist here? He fact you feel the need to put up your i8 versus a very large sedan and still come up short (but you don't realize it) makes me question things. Just doesn't add up. The joke is for an extra $30,000 and a lighter car the i8 should smoke the Model S in a 0-60 mph run. It simply doesn't no matter what your one German magazine review says.

The Karma and i8 both had gas backups and were cramped cars that seated two comfortably.

- - - Updated - - -

Why do you guys take Realist's bait every time, I wonder?!

His name is realist so it has to be accurate. Read it on the internet.

When the MS came it was grouped with Mercedes S-class (Elon himself did this with the residual guarantee), BMW 7-series, Audi A7/A8 etc. I.e. the "Luxury sedan" market segment. In the US the MS outsold all other cars in that segment.

What segment and what other cars is the i8 up against???

But guys, you wont be able to recharge while driving by burning gasoline, not to mention paying tens of thousands extra for that privilege.
Yep. He can't have it both ways. So his perfect car is easy to refuel, can be trashed around the track at 150mph and driven that fast on the autobahn non-stop for hours all while being ultra efficient for its entire range. The i8 falls short on almost all but is easy to refuel with gas.

- - - Updated - - -

When the MS came it was grouped with Mercedes S-class (Elon himself did this with the residual guarantee), BMW 7-series, Audi A7/A8 etc. I.e. the "Luxury sedan" market segment. In the US the MS outsold all other cars in that segment.

It is beating the pants off of new Fisker Karma sales.

But guys, you wont be able to recharge while driving by burning gasoline, not to mention paying tens of thousands extra for that privilege.

crocodiletears.jpg

Ok, maybe a bit snarky, but that got a spit take out of me as I drank my morning tea :)

That is a question I have on the i8, what market is it trying to woo? It's too slow for the pure 2-door sports market. Too small for the luxury sedan market. It might be a really wonderful car to drive, BMW makes nice cars, but I'm not sure what market it's appealing to. I guess mostly the novelty market for folks that have the money to spend (like Realist)?

I bet the i8 is an impressive performer over those 22 miles (up to 75mph I guess) and looks stunning. I really don't understand the need of his to try and make it trump the Model S as they are completely different cars other than both can be driven in an EV mode for at least 22 miles.

Indeed :biggrin:

The only other car I can think of that fits into roughly the same category: expensive sporty 2+2 seater plug-in hybrid -- is the cadillac ELR.
So out of these 3 (i8, Karma, ELR), the i8 is indeed the best car as far as I can see. It is the fastest and quickest and the best looking too.