Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW latest convert to NACS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is coming from a former Bimmer owner (2000 323i): I might consider a BMW EV in the future, only for the presumed outstanding handling characteristics and power that a 3-series mated with electric motor(s) could offer. However, that would probably be after I run my Model 3 into the ground like I did my E46, if it lasts as long. So somewhere around the year 2036 when I'm 80....

I dont know what took BMW so long to announce this. TMC Model 3 and Y subforums are absolutely LITTERED with either "ex BMW" or "BMW and Tesla" households. I have said here for years that, at least to me, BMW is the car manufacturer most impacted by Tesla. While I still like driving my model 3, the idea of a BMW (or a mini) with access to the Tesla supercharging network for the rare road trip I might do, sounds enticing.

BMW should have been tripping over themselves to do it, IMO. It definitely will make me put them back on the list to consider, whenever I replace my model 3.

Reactions: cmy4x4 and KJD
WTF ELON!!!!!! How clogged are superchargers gonna be as they already are in many places....like i want to see a kia/hyiandai/for/bmw charging and clogging the network that was a tesla selling point initially....now every other ev will tout taking trips and just using the tesla chargers..its sucks...many older teslas are already crippled charging on the super chargers because of old battery tech and throttle gate...what a bummer....these companies can make their own charging networks.

Everyone relax, as Tesla sales decline the net add won't be what you think. Also charging speeds are going to increase so this is really a moot point. The bigger issue is the slower charging older S and X hogging the spots for longer than the newer cars.

as can be seen from comments elon is shooting himself in the foot... cause no need to get a limited feature tesla anymore after 2024/25....i mean there are and will be better options from other manufacturers by then and likely most will have that charger plug.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
I'm not too worried about non-Tesla vehicles overrunning Supercharger stations. With the vast majority of automobile manufacturers now adopting the NACS ecosystem in the next couple of years, it means that non-Tesla EVSE companies are going to be installing more NACS plugs. In my mind that's a win-win situation. Sure, some of those EA, EVgo, and ChargePoint stations may not have the equipment uptime as compared to Tesla, but more competition (read: availability) should mean better (more) choices.

In my admittedly sparse long distance traveling, I've only run into one time where I had to wait for a Supercharger as an owner. That was a July 4th up in Truckee, CA. There was another station a few miles away but I decided to stick it out where I was. Waited maybe 15 minutes; wasn't too bad. If you carefully read the first sentence in this paragraph, you'll notice I put in a qualification: "as an owner". Back in Feb. 2018 when I had rented a Model 3 off Turo.com, I needed to recharge the car before turning it back over to the owner. I went to the Mountain View, CA (Computer History Museum) site and queued up for over 30 minutes. There was actually a person guiding people into open stalls and making sure nobody jumped the line. Haven't seen that since....

This may be just me, but any comments that start with "XXXX ELON" or anything similar to that, are not something I pay much attention to. Not like I am some Tesla apologist or something, but its been my experience that people who feel like they are talking to "ELON" and not "Tesla" are generally more... lets call it "passionate" about whatever they are talking about than I want to get involved with (either positive or negative feedback wise).

WTF ELON!!!!!! How clogged are superchargers gonna be as they already are in many places....like i want to see a kia/hyiandai/for/bmw charging and clogging the network that was a tesla selling point initially....now every other ev will tout taking trips and just using the tesla chargers..its sucks...many older teslas are already crippled charging on the super chargers because of old battery tech and throttle gate...what a bummer....these companies can make their own charging networks.

Everyone relax, as Tesla sales decline the net add won't be what you think. Also charging speeds are going to increase so this is really a moot point. The bigger issue is the slower charging older S and X hogging the spots for longer than the newer cars.

How much do these manufactures have to pay Tesla to gain access to the supercharger network? Or is Tesla just giving it to them for free? There needs to be a commensurate increase in the number of superchargers to accommodate all the excess vehicles. Other networks will not keep pace with Teslas network, not even close.

How much do these manufactures have to pay Tesla to gain access to the supercharger network? Or is Tesla just giving it to them for free? There needs to be a commensurate increase in the number of superchargers to accommodate all the excess vehicles. Other networks will not keep pace with Teslas network, not even close.
It’s open source and actually costs the other brands a lot to reprogram and integrate software. Tesla had to agree / open source the IP or no one would pick it. Now though you are stuck using supercharges and Tesla can dictate charging rate. Eventually Tesla will become a master distributor of tech. I have never had an issue on any road trip from SD to SF never having a wait.

• Disagree
The answer only matters to shareholders. As an owner it makes no difference.

Disagree. I’m an owner and I want other manufacturers to pay Tesla a fixed rate per vehicle to support expanding the supercharging network. It’s not sufficient to simply charge $/kwh. Part of the cost baked in to the purchase of a Tesla is to support the charging infrastructure.

Disagree. I’m an owner and I want other manufacturers to pay Tesla a fixed rate per vehicle to support expanding the supercharging network. It’s not sufficient to simply charge $/kwh. Part of the cost baked in to the purchase of a Tesla is to support the charging infrastructure.
Buying teslas at this point has nothing to do with supporting the SC network. I read an article from Bloomberg that valued the SC business at over $100 Billion. If they did not open source it and allow other companies access they would have declining revenue. This was a business decision to keep Tesla viable. Tesla sales are in a dumpster fire right now and seem to be getting worse. I have been offered so much to get in a new Tesla, they are desperate to sell new cars.

I am totally confused why I keep hearing about "adapters". I really think Tesla will just deploy more magic docks. if you have magic docks, there is no need for an adapter that could possibly not meet the high standards and safety required. Access to third party EVs will require at the very least a magic dock stall. And magic dock stalls going forward will probably be the new V4 ones as they can also process payment without and app or plug and charge. Seems absolutely mad to require everyone to buy and adapter.

I am totally confused why I keep hearing about "adapters". I really think Tesla will just deploy more magic docks. if you have magic docks, there is no need for an adapter that could possibly not meet the high standards and safety required. Access to third party EVs will require at the very least a magic dock stall. And magic dock stalls going forward will probably be the new V4 ones as they can also process payment without and app or plug and charge. Seems absolutely mad to require everyone to buy and adapter.
No way Tesla wants to magic dock retrofit of ALL of the V3 supercharger locations for a limited population of CCS-port cars going forward. The deals announced are clearly for essentially all V3 locations. In North America the CCS port is dying eventually, it would be a crazy misuse of resources to do such a network-wide retrofit.

In 5 years I doubt basically any new CCS-port stalls will be being installed by anybody. That leaves a decent number of CCS-port cars that will absolutely need a NACS adapter since cars last decades potentially.

The adapters will just be just a reverse of the current passive Tesla CCS adapters which are not terribly expensive, and do not appear to be having any particular reliability problems. In fact expect them to be more reliable mechanically, since you would have a small NACS cable but a larger CCS connector on the other end supporting it on the car.

Reactions: Eric9610
So word is that all the brands that signed on will get a NACS to CCS with RFID chip in it and you will have to buy them, then pair to app so you can setup billing. I know BMW, MB and Rivian all mentioned this somewhere in the documents they released. Also electrify America will be adding the NACS port to all the current stations.

No way Tesla wants to magic dock retrofit of ALL of the V3 supercharger locations for a limited population of CCS-port cars going forward. The deals announced are clearly for essentially all V3 locations. In North America the CCS port is dying eventually, it would be a crazy misuse of resources to do such a network-wide retrofit.

In 5 years I doubt basically any new CCS-port stalls will be being installed by anybody. That leaves a decent number of CCS-port cars that will absolutely need a NACS adapter since cars last decades potentially.

The adapters will just be just a reverse of the current passive Tesla CCS adapters which are not terribly expensive, and do not appear to be having any particular reliability problems. In fact expect them to be more reliable mechanically, since you would have a small NACS cable but a larger CCS connector on the other end supporting it on the car.

I agree with you to an extent, however, most thought when the original Ford agreement was announced, that it meant the end of magic dock, yet magic dock deployment only seems to have increased.