Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Body panel alignment and gap issues still persist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Didn't Bob Lutz complement Tesla on the uniformity and tightness of their body gaps? Wonder who is right?

Did Bob Lutz check tens of thousands of Tesla cars?

My Model 3 is an example with almost perfect gaps (better than my Macan and Z4) but that’s apparently not the case with other Model 3s. Question is, were Bob and I lucky? How many Model 3s have gap problems?

Mine has to go back for adjustment :-( I’m really not sure why this wasn’t adjusted prior to picking it up.

Front of the rear door is clearly too high. Hopefully you can see it in this pic.

fc7iqf.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
Mine has to go back for adjustment :-( I’m really not sure why this wasn’t adjusted prior to picking it up.

Front of the rear door is clearly too high. Hopefully you can see it in this pic.

fc7iqf.jpg

Driver's door is a hair too low. Can't really raise the rear door or it'll be misaligned with the rear quarter.

Very minor, easy adjustment to make.

I realize my car was a December delivery, but I was underneath the rear bumper of my Model 3 yesterday and just noticed the left rear fender liner is almost completely detached. I mean I can easily stick my hand and wrist in the gap between the liner and inner rear fender. Luckily, I already had an appointment with Mobile Service this Friday. I called them and they added that to the work order.

• Informative
I bought a 2018 and a 2019 and they both exhibit the same fit and finish issues. Same with all the ones I see on the lots when I check. They act like you are an a hole when you ask for corrections at my location and like to tell you they are within Tesla's spec. It's so weird that this is still a problem close to half a million of these later...

• Informative
You can roll your eyes but its true. I have a nice car now (2016 Chevy SS Sedan Manual) and worry about giving up a car that's been hassle free and built like a tank for something that may start rattling 10 minutes off the lot.

You do what's right for you. No idea why you're trolling Tesla forums though if you have no interest in buying one - just want to trash on a car you don't even own or have first hand experience with. I don't care if you've *test driven* one and seen pics online of some isolated issues, until you own one you have zero standing to speculate on what it's like...to actually own one. :rolleyes:

Excellent, glad to hear this. Did you have to make an appointment for this?

Yeah, really glad to hear this. One of these days I need to take my car in to have my doors realigned. My passenger side front door is pretty egregious, like your driver door was (but mine is tilted up the other way). Hopefully they don't mind me bringing it back after 9 months. It's in their system already, anyway...