Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Bollinger Motors to Unveil All-Electric Sport Utility Truck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After months of teasing abstract pictures of the project in progress, Bollinger Motors will unveil today its all-electric sport utility truck at an event in New York. The company will stream the event at 7 p.m. ET on its Facebook page.

The electric drive system is built from off-the shelf components, but is powered by a Bollinger-designed lithium-ion battery pack. The vehicle is said to have easily replaceable riveted body panels, enabling owners to rapidly transform from truck to SUV.

The company’s website promises best-in-class torque, horsepower, ground clearance, and power weight ratio.

Last edited by a moderator:
Design befitting Her Majesty.

589f1b1e50632ef9037b9614ec2d3dfd.jpg

The day it goes into production it is officially the second sexiest BEV of all time after Model S.

Vehicles designed to go 200 mph plus on perfectly paved autobahns are of no particular importance to me.

That’s where you’ll find Bollinger Motors, a small new American EV startup. Founded by Robert Bollinger, a former Manhattan ad exec turned skincare entrepreneur turned grass-fed cattle farmer, today the company unveiled its first vehicle during an event at Manhattan’s Classic Car Club — the B1, an all-electric “sport utility truck,” with up to 200 miles of range for somewhere around $60,000, all with a look that lands between Jeep Wrangler and a Land Rover Defender.

Bollinger is still working on securing a manufacturing partner that will make the 10,000–20,000 units per year target that he’s set for the company. (That will also play into the final price of the car, and is part of the reason why the company hasn’t set an exact one yet.) And, currently, the only B1 the company has made is a working prototype — the company will still need to get a real test mule vehicle through certification and compliance later this year. But if all the pieces fall into place — and that’s a big if — the B1 seems like a dream for EV hobbyists that want something more rugged than a Model X or its likeness.

The B1 isn’t only different from other EVs because of its utility. It also bucks the high-tech trend of new cars in general. There will be a radio with an AM/FM receiver, Bluetooth connectivity, and an AUX input, but there’s no touchscreen. In fact, the dashboard is otherwise almost completely analog. There’s even an analog battery level indicator. The only digital display is a small LCD screen to the far left that can be toggled between outside temperature, range, and MPGe, or miles per gallon gasoline equivalent.

The idea here is to get out of the way of the driving (and working) experience, Bollinger explains. But he also thinks it will help reduce some of the anxiety that comes with EVs.

“I was just driving a Nissan Leaf, and I realized that a big part of range anxiety is that electric cars constantly tell you [how much battery is left], and it's right in your face,” he says. “It's almost like "AHHHH" worrying the whole time while you're driving.”

Much more in link

The Bollinger B1 is an all-electric truck with 360 horsepower and up to 200 miles of range

Holy crap. Did anybody let them know that you can make curves, not just straight lines, on a CNC?

It's not as attractive as an H1 Hummer. So the H1 is no longer the ugliest expensive car ever sold.

I absolutely love the style of this vehicle, inside and out. Very much like classic Land Rover, Land Crusier, and Jeep designs, and not like the hordes of ordinary boring passenger cars and "CUVs."

GSP

Reactions: JRP3
I'll have to look into Gene's comment about inboard brakes. One of the very few weak links - quite literally - of Land Cruisers were their birfield joints. Whatever linkage Bollinger uses for their suspension will, according to Gene, be that much more exposed to some pretty hideous torqueing.
To bring all this back to Tesla, I've considered the suspension arms in the Models S & X (and, dollars to donuts, the 3) to be commensurately strong for a civilized-road passenger car, but utterly inadequate for any rough-duty vehicle. So on this one aspect alone, I hope its design team is taking good notes on how Mr Bollinger and team have approached the challenge.

I was just informed on this.

B1 will have a GVWR over 10k lbs therefore qualifying it as a Class 3 Commercial Vehicle.

Class 3 commercial vehicles do not require air bags.

They are so inexpensive I don't see why truckers are not protected with air bags.

But there it is.
& no crash testing necessary?
'we' were just discussing this earlier. I didn't see any evidence of testing on F350s etc.

They are so inexpensive I don't see why truckers are not protected with air bags.

Airbags only mitigate deceleration injuries in crashes that are survivable. Jet aircraft don't have them either, nor do trains.

It's essentially a technology that enhances safety without having to wear a helmet, 5/6 pt harness, and have a real rollcage structure. You are safer in a 100+ mph crash in a racecar, but who is going to suit up to go texting to work?

• Funny
Reactions: GSP
& no crash testing necessary?
I didn't see any evidence of testing on F350s etc.

Heavy Truck Crashworthiness | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

PDF file in link. Report to Congress.

Yikes. What I see on NHTSA's website is this report about the need for crashworthiness and occupant safety standards for heavy trucks.

Most heavy truck safety standards have been about protecting occupants in passenger vehicles in the event of a crash. Like the height of bumpers.

They should really go an talk to ICON 4X4.. I hope they don't go with CRaPMO charging (or only as an emergency backup)..

They could leverage a lot of knowledge about this market - Tesla should jump on this - they are really a powertrain manufacturer - and they could offer the network as a value add....