Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bolt EV: 2017 Motor Trend Car of the Year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jeff N

Oct 31, 2011
Even the folks at Tesla, the electric vehicle masters of the universe, have been put on notice: The Bolt EV sets a benchmark for value and performance they’ll have to work overtime to match. “This is a direct challenge for Tesla to make the Model 3 anything near the Bolt EV for the same price,” executive editor Mark Rechtin said. “Chevrolet has made affordable long-range electric transportation available to the masses. Elon Musk should be afraid. Very, very afraid.

Chevrolet Bolt EV is the 2017 Motor Trend Car of the Year - Motor Trend

I'm sure everyone here agrees, right? ;)

Last edited:
“This is a direct challenge for Tesla to make the Model 3 anything near the Bolt EV for the same price,” executive editor Mark Rechtin said. “Chevrolet has made affordable long-range electric transportation available to the masses. Elon Musk should be afraid. Very, very afraid.

That is hilarious. What that editor is afraid of is GM pulling their advertising from MT unless the magazine says nice things about them.

more and better non-Tesla EVs will ultimately legitimize and thereby expand the EV market. Making Tesla's smaller slice of a larger EV market even more valuable.

The sucess of other EVs will rise all EV boats.

The Chevy Bolt is a great thing for Tesla. good competition and showing that a long range BEV isn't a weird Tesla thing. It is the future for all auto mfrs.

Congrats to the Chevy Bolt team. Welcome to the club.

To have another electric car winning MT Car of the Year is a great sign. Tesla beat GM by 4 years, but I'm really happy to see major publications recognize the superior qualities of electric over ICE.

I don't begrudge them for this award, as they are quite unlikely to have had a Model 3 to test drive. This paves the road for the Model 3's award next year.

It's funny to see you hardcore Tesla cult-fans in denial.

The Tesla Motors mission statement is as follows:

In order to be a "hardcore Tesla cult-fan", one must abide to the letter of Tesla's mission statement. That means, Tesla 'cult-fans' must cheer on, and root for, the success of the Bolt, and all other sustainable transport vehicles.

So before you come here to insult us, you should at least get your insults correct, or you only end up looking really foolish.

Even the folks at Tesla, the electric vehicle masters of the universe, have been put on notice: The Bolt EV sets a benchmark for value and performance they’ll have to work overtime to match. “This is a direct challenge for Tesla to make the Model 3 anything near the Bolt EV for the same price,” executive editor Mark Rechtin said. “Chevrolet has made affordable long-range electric transportation available to the masses. Elon Musk should be afraid. Very, very afraid.
Chevrolet Bolt EV is the 2017 Motor Trend Car of the Year - Motor Trend

I'm sure everyone here agrees, right? ;)
Time to add another one to this list of "Tesla killer" articles:
Time for some “Tesla-killer” updates

The Tesla Motors mission statement is as follows:
In order to be a "hardcore Tesla cult-fan", one must abide to the letter of Tesla's mission statement. That means, Tesla 'cult-fans' must cheer on, and root for, the success of the Bolt, and all other sustainable transport vehicles.

So before you come here to insult us, you should at least get your insults correct, or you only end up looking really foolish.

Insult? I'm telling the truth. No matter how many awards Bolt EV gets, there are certain TMC members who find nothing but bad things to say about the Bolt EV and the GM.
Just look at the 2nd and 3rd post.

And this thread is not any better: Chevy Bolt EV wins Green Car Reports' Best Car To Buy 2017 award

Reactions: Eclectic
Insult? I'm telling the truth. No matter how many awards Bolt EV gets, there are certain TMC members who find nothing but bad things to say about the Bolt EV and the GM.
Just look at the 2nd and 3rd post.

And this thread is not any better: Chevy Bolt EV wins Green Car Reports' Best Car To Buy 2017 award

Yep...mostly because "It's not a Tesla! Pssssssshhhh".

Bolt is hauling in the hardware! Gonna need a pretty hefty shelf to put them all on at GM HQ. :p

Reactions: larmor and Eclectic