Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bolt has FWD and Model 3 does not.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any competent driver (like me) has no need of FWD or RWD for snow driving. I drove old 1970's Mopar RWD cars in the snow for many years. If you understand the physics involved and don't drive like an idiot, you'll be fine. I once had a 1971 Plymouth Valiant from 1998-2004. With a rebuilt limited slip differential and a decent set of winter treads, that thing would go almost anywhere in the snow.

Anyone who "needs" FWD to drive in snow is the problem. Not the car or drivetrain layout itself. FWD came out as a sales gimmick in the early 80's, by American car manufacturers trying to copy European cars to get an edge in sales.

I've seen many soccer moms blasting down wet and snowy roads at crazy speeds because the car salesman told them their 4WD SUV could do that, and I've seen lots of SUVs in the ditch because of it.

The REAL problem is this whole noise, vibration, harshness crusade that car manufacturers have been on for the last 20 years. In the name of comfort and ease of operation, car makers want you to be able to drive without hearing the engine or feeling even the slightest bump.

Even the Tesla has problems like this. Some see the back up camera and auto-park features as helpful, but all it is really doing is make people forget how to drive. Anyone with half a brain can operate a car, but to really get into it, to really DRIVE, that takes some skill.

Yes... and when people stop doing things that are stupid, I'm on your side. We don't, have never, and will never live in that world. In the meantime we can continue to expect people overeat, smoke, drink too much, do drugs, gamble, drive badly and do any one of an infinite number of possible stupid things to do. You may be the best driver in the world for all I know... but for the rest of us, I'm happy to see that fatality rates on the road have been declining steadily for the last 40 years. And that's mostly due to our vehicles doing a better job protecting people from their own stupidity.