Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bonnie's Xcellent Adventure w/X Sig 2 - Config, Delivery, Roadtrip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What!?! Automatically? How cool is that? Might have to get the third row just to see this in action!

You're going to have to sit somewhere else to watch it ... won't work if someone is in one of the seats.:)

IMG_1070.jpg

I believe Bonnie misspoke and meant there is a 12v in the trunk as seen in some of the photos. Though a 12v in the frunk would be welcome!
Yes, the additional 12V outlet is in the TRUNK. I examined the X frunk and there is no 12V outlet there. Interestingly, the floor of the X frunk is not a separate piece like in the S. The X frunk liner is one piece. No seam between the floor and the sides. There is a small cavity at the front of the frunk below the latch mechanism. Not sure what it is for.

My wife complains that she hits her head on our MS hatchback fairly regularly. I have it set as high as it can safely open without hitting our garage door. This is a slight concern for us as well, but it's way down the list.

Our hatchback S opens all the way up in the garage, if we leave the garage door open. So we just don't use the hatch if the door is closed. At 6'4", I would definitely hit my head if it didn't open up.

Luckily, where we live, there is no crime, according to the Napa County Sheriff's office, so we leave our garage and house open all the time. So now you know. But I don't think you'd want any of my junk. :smile: Drop by any time!

I can totally see myself getting in through the back and hopping over the console rather than opening the driver's door during heavy rain. :)

I've wanted to try this since watching the launch event. No beater X's to try it on, though. According to my second row seat middle vent/USB port photo, that console is pretty dominant in the floor plan for someone considering going from the second row to the first row.

In all the vans I've ever driven, I've always appreciated ample space to walk between the front row seats to the second row seat area (or in the case of cargo vans, to the cargo cage door). The Model X console makes that difficult. You'd have to be very acrobatic, nimble, thin, and accepting of scuff marks to even attempt it in the X over that console. With the self presenting front door, I think the desire to do so is limited to situations where family members want to swap shotgun seating with passengers further back, or switching drivers in an ultra-cold climate, without getting out. It seems like the X is meant to be easy to get in and out of, and you're not meant to spend your life inside it, but to instead use it to quickly get someplace and then get out and be in that place.

I've always liked the fact that EVs put out less pollution, allowing the garage environment to be less isolated from the building occupant area environment; this could make the area where you park your X (or S) more comfortable, air conditioned, carpeted, etc.. This is even more ideal for the Tesla batteries, too, allowing you to just get in and go when you're ready to leave. This is consistent with the idea of being able to quickly get in and out of the X.

Last edited:
Auto opening will be in the next firmware update. It's in the owner's manual, though. Right now the door opens by pressing the handle. That will be updated shortly.

Also in the next firmware update, Cargo Mode. Selecting Cargo Mode on the 'doors' screen (according to the manual) will cause the entire second row to tilt forward and the third row to fold flat. That will be fancy!

Bonnie, is the owner's manual available as a pdf? If so is it possible to share?

@bonnie:

"Unexpected bonus of FWD: I stopped on the way home to pick up a few groceries. You know how you usually have to position the shopping cart behind the door you want to open for loading? Usually you reach around the cart to open the door and it's a little awkward. Last night, I pressed the button to open the FWD and just put the groceries in. No open door to navigate around. Parents with small kids are going to go nuts on this.

Raining last night & no drama with the doors. As predicted, opening the driver's door caused a lot more rain to come in than getting in under the canopy of an open FWD. I'm not going to say 'no rain', but in comparison to the driver's door? Pfffyt."

Plus, after the successful launch AND LANDING of the Falcon 9 rocket tonight, aren't you kind of proud to have Falcon Wing doors?

Bonnie, is the owner's manual available as a pdf? If so is it possible to share?

No, sorry.

- - - Updated - - -

@bonnie:

"Unexpected bonus of FWD: I stopped on the way home to pick up a few groceries. You know how you usually have to position the shopping cart behind the door you want to open for loading? Usually you reach around the cart to open the door and it's a little awkward. Last night, I pressed the button to open the FWD and just put the groceries in. No open door to navigate around. Parents with small kids are going to go nuts on this.

Raining last night & no drama with the doors. As predicted, opening the driver's door caused a lot more rain to come in than getting in under the canopy of an open FWD. I'm not going to say 'no rain', but in comparison to the driver's door? Pfffyt."

Plus, after the successful launch AND LANDING of the Falcon 9 rocket tonight, aren't you kind of proud to have Falcon Wing doors?

Hah. :)

so the third row is power fold? Are the buttons in the cargo area as well as in the second row like other 3 row SUVs with power fold seats? Nice you can configure it from the touchscreen, but most of the time you want to do it from the back of the car before you load.

so the third row is power fold? Are the buttons in the cargo area as well as in the second row like other 3 row SUVs with power fold seats? Nice you can configure it from the touchscreen, but most of the time you want to do it from the back of the car before you load.

There is also a button on each seat back - drops the head rest and then drops the seat.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, there is a 12 V in the frunk

Where? I didn't see one, but very possible I missed it (wasn't looking for it there).

I wrote:
Thank you, Bonnie, for showing us your new X.

I included some photographs of items some people expressed interest in.

Consensus is there is more sitting room than the S. As a comparison point, sitting room has been increasing from the Roadster through the S to the X. Each person expressed their own details about sitting in the various seats. Each seat is different and each person in each seat is different. There is more headroom in the two side seats of the middle row.

The panoramic view is beautiful but not distracting. The shading helps focus your attention forward in a natural manner. This is what I was able to glean in a moment.

I stood slightly in the way of both the Falcon Wing Doors and the front doors on purpose, and both automatically stopped before getting to me. This is fantastic.

My height (two yards) allows me to stand under the FWD in the open position.

Bonnie said shutting the frunk is better and easier than the S. It is manual.

The hitch slides up into a slot under a cover in back. I didn't open the cover.

The X looks great from outside, front, side and back.

I didn't have time to photo the foldout sun shades. They both have mirrors inside.

I regret not taking a full photo outside of it parked or of the view from inside out the panoramic windshield. There are other photos of that in other places. But they were both great.

I just got home for the first time since Sunday and found out some of my photos were turned sideways by TMC, and I'm not even allowed to edit it. Programmers these days. I re-uploaded the previously sideways photos anew from my desktop, and TMC got them right this time (I can't explain why the same unedited photos upload differently in Firefox on a Desktop vs. Safari on an iPhone). I also explained what each re-uploaded photo is for, which I realized now might not be obvious from the photo.

Here is Bonnie explaining what is going on to a passerby:
IMG_3540.jpg

Here is the 12V power port in the trunk area:
IMG_3542.jpg

Here is a mid seat row air vent located in the pillar between the front and Falcon Wing Doors (there's a vent on both sides of the car, of course); in the background, you see the front door open and the FWD open:
IMG_3543.jpg

Here, you see two USB ports (as well as vents) for the second row seats (and in the background is the front seats and dash board):
IMG_3545.jpg

Here is the third row seat left air vent (vents on both sides of the car):
IMG_3546.jpg

Note that I refrained from taking a photo of the entire vehicle or doing copious measurements because I got the impression that those things would be better suited to those with measurements in mind or for another time. It turns out my usual timidness won out, and I was partially correct but there were some photos I should have taken that would have been alright that I did not. I would have especially liked to get the 3 models complete in one shot, as well as the whole vehicle from the outside, and more comprehensive interior experience shots. I'm glad to see others took better photos than I did.

It seems the stuff I missed has been covered here and elsewhere, at least, so that's good.

Last edited:
You're going to have to sit somewhere else to watch it ... won't work if someone is in one of the seats.:)

So this implies the X has passenger sensors for all seven seats? In that case, it could (and I think should) track Wh/passenger-mile as one of the efficiency metrics. With full occupancy, you could get 50Wh/passenger-mile :) Or thought of another way, the car has a range of ~1750 passenger-miles. That would be an interesting record to set...

So this implies the X has passenger sensors for all seven seats? In that case, it could (and I think should) track Wh/passenger-mile as one of the efficiency metrics. With full occupancy, you could get 50Wh/passenger-mile :) Or thought of another way, the car has a range of ~1750 passenger-miles. That would be an interesting record to set...

In re-reading that blurb, I'm not sure. It only says Cargo Mode is prohibited if someone is in one of the seats. Maybe that's up to the driver. Or seat sensors. ... no idea. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Bonnie for all the information and pictures. Congratulations.

I am also happy for the rain you are getting. Was it not much too dry all the last years?

Johann, the rain is AWESOME! It won't fix the drought situation, but it's a breath of hope. Air feels so clean and crisp, everything is green again. Love. It.