Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bonnie's Xcellent Adventure w/X Sig 2 - Config, Delivery, Roadtrip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bonnie, one assumes you've got no new news?

Nothing official, but from the state of the forum, LOTS of rumors!

Also, what's your opinion on how often is too often to email one's DS? ;)

If I have a specific question (not 'any updates??') then I email my DS. Otherwise I assume they're pretty overworked and best left alone. My DS knows I need a week notice to move some cash around - so I'm really not worrying about it. I'll hear when it's time. I do know that a lot of the dates and expectations on the forum right now are a bit all over the map. I assume that's because various DS are looking at customer records and assuming things that might not be true.

Just as a point of reference, I talked to my DS this month on the 6th and the 26th. I initiated both conversations. I get a fairly quick response, emails are short, usually just with one or two questions. (Or as was the case on the 26th, a reminder that I need 5 business days advance notice before delivery.)

If anyone is expecting more frequent contact, that might be a bit unfair - especially if it's of the nature 'when when WHEN???'. Might want to wait til they deliver the first Signature. :)

You've got the patience of a saint.... or more than me (but that's not saying much). I'm sure you're right, the first Signature deliveries are the sign that things are beginning to happen. I'm hoping they will happen quickly at that point.

Nothing official, but from the state of the forum, LOTS of rumors!

If I have a specific question (not 'any updates??') then I email my DS. Otherwise I assume they're pretty overworked and best left alone. My DS knows I need a week notice to move some cash around - so I'm really not worrying about it. I'll hear when it's time. I do know that a lot of the dates and expectations on the forum right now are a bit all over the map. I assume that's because various DS are looking at customer records and assuming things that might not be true.

Just as a point of reference, I talked to my DS this month on the 6th and the 26th. I initiated both conversations. I get a fairly quick response, emails are short, usually just with one or two questions. (Or as was the case on the 26th, a reminder that I need 5 business days advance notice before delivery.)

If anyone is expecting more frequent contact, that might be a bit unfair - especially if it's of the nature 'when when WHEN???'. Might want to wait til they deliver the first Signature. :)

My order was confirmed on 10/10 and I have never been contacted by anyone. I assumed that was because I was a high Sig (1096) but I have seen people post with higher Sig and higher VIN who have been contacted. Should I be concerned? I called Tesla Sales and they told me to just wait. It is getting frustrating. Where are the DS people from? Local stores/service or Tesla corporate?

My order was confirmed on 10/10 and I have never been contacted by anyone. I assumed that was because I was a high Sig (1096) but I have seen people post with higher Sig and higher VIN who have been contacted. Should I be concerned? I called Tesla Sales and they told me to just wait. It is getting frustrating. Where are the DS people from? Local stores/service or Tesla corporate?

Mostly local stores, some corporate. If you're worried, you can stop by your local store & have them look up your customer record to find out who your DS might be.

They really are booked up right now. My DS has been over in Europe, doing some work there. She's busy. If your DS is juggling other tasks, they may wait to contact you until they have an actual delivery date to give you.

Hang tight.

Mostly local stores, some corporate. If you're worried, you can stop by your local store & have them look up your customer record to find out who your DS might be.

They really are booked up right now. My DS has been over in Europe, doing some work there. She's busy. If your DS is juggling other tasks, they may wait to contact you until they have an actual delivery date to give you.

Hang tight.

Thanks Bonnie. I'm in the middle of nowhere. Closest Tesla store is about an hour and a half away in North Jersey. I will call them next week. I hate to bother them when I know they are busy, but seeing all the contrary reports in these forums about so many things is very confusing. But I've found talking to the sales people isn't always helpful either, as they initially told me the X would have a 72Amp onboard charger, then I read here that Tesla is saying it is 48Amps, and now Mark Tebbe posted his Founder X has 72Amps. I'll call the Short Hills store next week and see what they say.

But I've found talking to the sales people isn't always helpful either, as they initially told me the X would have a 72Amp onboard charger, then I read here that Tesla is saying it is 48Amps, and now Mark Tebbe posted his Founder X has 72Amps. I'll call the Short Hills store next week and see what they say.

One of the reasons that I've gone pretty quiet regarding the X is because of the large amount of noise being generated here on the forum. I don't want to add to it. I can't tell you how many pm's and emails that I'm getting from various people wanting to know about all sorts of details.

The reality is the sales people really don't know specifications any more than we do. Mark Tebbe reported a fact (thank you @ Mark). Everything else has been wild speculation based on the report of what ONE Tesla employee said.

All I can suggest is taking a deep breath, go for a walk outside, and know there will be answers for all the questions in very short time. If I believed all the reports of production/delivery dates recently being reported, I'd be driving my DS insane wanting to know why I wasn't receiving the same information. Instead, she's being professional and only telling me facts - and the fact right now is they don't have firm delivery dates to stand by. She knows my timeline (like 'need a week to move the cash over') and we're good.

Just relax. It's been a long wait and we're almost to the finish line. But me? This morning I'm starting a very well-planned move of beehives to another part of my property. New location is ready and waiting. And I guarantee that in the middle of all the mayhem that is about to ensue, I'm not going to be thinking about my X. ... Wanna help move some bees?

Bonnie, part of the reason the forums are buzzing is that Tesla decided to have a launch event 1+ months ago, which people naturally assumed meant that at least a few production sigs would start production. Tesla has done nothing to tamp down such speculation, and in fact fueled it by stating several times via several DS that all sigs would be delivered end of 2015. One week ago that story changed to "some" sigs in 2015, rest in early 2016.

And then we had seatgate, and now chargergate (72 amp versus 48 amp charging), with, again, little official information to go on.

If Tesla feels they are being inundated with calls, they know what to do - level with us, rather than trying to keep us in the dark. I have no sympathy, none, for Tesla whining about being called too often given they haven't been telling us anything official.

Bonnie, part of the reason the forums are buzzing is that Tesla decided to have a launch event 1+ months ago, which people naturally assumed meant that at least a few production sigs would start production. Tesla has done nothing to tamp down such speculation, and in fact fueled it by stating several times via several DS that all sigs would be delivered end of 2015. One week ago that story changed to "some" sigs in 2015, rest in early 2016.

And then we had seatgate, and now chargergate (72 amp versus 48 amp charging), with, again, little official information to go on.

If Tesla feels they are being inundated with calls, they know what to do - level with us, rather than trying to keep us in the dark. I have no sympathy, none, for Tesla whining about being called too often given they haven't been telling us anything official.

If I gave the impression that Tesla was whining (or even had commented) on being contacted too often, then let me correct that now. I was asked 'how often is reasonable to contact' and I gave MY opinion. Let's not trash them for something that I said.

Fair?

- - - Updated - - -

Would I like more information from Tesla? Yes.

But given that they are not sharing more right now, I did have choices and I made a decision. Cancel, delay, or move forward. It was completely within my control. And once I made the decision to confirm my configuration, I let go of any frustration. It's just not worth it. I get why people are upset, but I'm not going to join in on it. I DID have a choice, I made it, and now I am just letting it play out. Life is still happening.

Everyone has a right to complain and vent frustrations and criticize Tesla. But if anyone is wondering why I'm not on the forum so much these days, that's why. I just have a low level of tolerance for repeated complaints. It's not like anyone had a gun to their head. Walk away. Can't send a stronger message than that. :)

If I gave the impression that Tesla was whining (or even had commented) on being contacted too often, then let me correct that now. I was asked 'how often is reasonable to contact' and I gave MY opinion. Let's not trash them for something that I said.

Fair?

- - - Updated - - -

Would I like more information from Tesla? Yes.

But given that they are not sharing more right now, I did have choices and I made a decision. Cancel, delay, or move forward. It was completely within my control. And once I made the decision to confirm my configuration, I let go of any frustration. It's just not worth it. I get why people are upset, but I'm not going to join in on it. I DID have a choice, I made it, and now I am just letting it play out. Life is still happening.

Everyone has a right to complain and vent frustrations and criticize Tesla. But if anyone is wondering why I'm not on the forum so much these days, that's why. I just have a low level of tolerance for repeated complaints. It's not like anyone had a gun to their head. Walk away. Can't send a stronger message than that. :)

Bonnie,

Totally on point.

I would like to add some additional prior perspective:

My SIG S85 00003X

Ordered 6/22/09
Configured 3/21/12
Founders Delivered 6/22/12
VIN assigned 8/17/12
Delivered 9/18/12

My SIG X is 00006X and I do not expect delivery until early December. Just a guess.

I show all this to prove that we should look to the past as a predictor for the future. Now, the S was the first production car from Tesla, so the second one should be easier, right? Unless you make really complex changes to the new car that have never been engineered into a car before, then install a new production line, and finally add the most complex paint line in the industry. This partially explains why it has taken longer to get to this point.

Having said all this, the biggest reason there is a gap between the Founders and SIG's is to do any final tweaking with real world Founders use. My S was delayed 2 weeks because Founders real world use of the door handles proved less than acceptable. My car sat finished at the factory waiting for the newly updated handles, something I am glad they did. Elon and Tesla et al want to deliver the very best product, and we should all listen to Bonnie's comments when she says we should be patient.

Your patience will be rewarded with an amazing vehicle, one that will give you the Tesla GRIN every time you get in.

If my guess on my delivery date is correct, the X will be delivered 30% sooner after the Founders than the S.

Last edited:
Another supporting data point. I've emailed my DS several times. He hasn't had any new information but he's always been polite about it and encouraged me to check back with him as often as I'd like. Never any whining.

Yes, I'd really like some more information but I understand that they're not certain about delivery and the production ramp so I'll just sit tight... and reduce my email requests for updates to once a week. ;) Sorry, can't help it.

Everything else has been wild speculation based on the report of what ONE Tesla employee said.

You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means. :)

As noted in the other thread, I dispute that as speculation. Speculation is when we make wild guesses as to something where no information is available. When it comes unsolicited from a more authoritative source, it's not speculation.

You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means. :)

As noted in the other thread, I dispute that as speculation. Speculation is when we make wild guesses as to something where no information is available. When it comes unsolicited from a more authoritative source, it's not speculation.

I know you're quoting a movie, appreciate it, but to clarify for those who don't know the reference ... I've said it once. And as I've also said in this thread, I don't want to be part of the noise.

Bonnie's use of the word is accurate:
the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.
If there was firm evidence there wouldn't be any discussion.