Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boombox in Aus?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2021 Model 3 here and just had the PWS retrofit completed this morning.
Can confirm, as above;
Yes, you get Boombox, external fart noises and megaphone feature (speak into phone app whilst in Sentry live view, or speak from inside the vehicle, and robot type voice repeats your words from the external speaker)
Yes, you get reverse warnings.

And, can confirm, I did not get the low-speed forward driving sounds.

Hope that helps anyone out who may be thinking of getting it.

Reactions: 1001 and B3AU
Are they clear about the lack of low-speed driving sounds at the time of booking.
(After all that's the main point of the speaker)
In my experience, yes. They outlined what it will and will not come with.
They also made it VERY clear, several times, that I will not be able to disable the reverse sounds, and that there will be no forward slow speed sound emitted as this is retrofit.

Reactions: moa999
I visited my local service centre this arvo. 4 day weekend!

Is it bad when they remember your name (first and last) on sight? ;-)

Anyway, apparently I have the correct valance for the PWS on my 1/2020 SR+. Of course, they've replaced the valance and every single undertray panel at least once already so I'm not sure if it'll be truly compatible. I'll find out next Friday.

Picked up a Model Y Performance and no boombox app. Car was built last month, so it's a March 23, and I presume it has the hardware. Has anyone had Tesla service activate the app?

Cool - I am not alone!

MYP had 3 software updates over the last 24 hours and I thought both the PWS and boombox functions would activate. Unfortunately this is not the case.

the PWS and boombox functionality is detailed in the Australian user manual for Model Y’s

It does say (if equipped) - it's not unusual for a company to talk about options in their owners manual that don't apply to all regions.
there are people in the Model Y waiting room thread who have it,
I went back 40 pages in that thread and the only mentions of boombox are your post asking if Model Ys get boombox and someone stating we don't get boombox in Australia

I have confirmation from Tesla yesterday (via the Tesla app - service function) that the Model Y does not come with Boombox or PWS in Australia. However, Tesla are more than happy to provide Model Y owners with a PWS/Boombox retro fit for $290 via the service function. I am not sure if the retro fit will provide limited or full function, which will be the next question.

I suspect that Tesla do not have the parts in stock during the manufacturing process, which is limiting the supply of PWS/Boombox speakers and harness to only new Model 3's.

I can see Tesla saying that you should do your research prior to purchasing the product - however, I am not aware of this information being public on their website nor as part of the intial ordering process last year.

As a consumer, of the product it is dispapointing to find out that a safty feature is not included via a Tesla forum and having it confirmed by Tesla via a service request.

Having said the above, the PWS is now available on the Tesla website as a service installable feature and is listed @ $280 - note the $10 discreptancy in price :mad:

All in all Tesla make a good product, however, it is the little things that add up and cause consumers to look else where.

I suspect that Tesla do not have the parts in stock during the manufacturing process, which is limiting the supply of PWS/Boombox speakers and harness to only new Model 3's.
Alternatively, while AVAS isn't mandated in Australia, but is in other countries, there's not a need to include PWS for all AU destined cars, as opposed being legally required for other regions.

Alternatively, while AVAS isn't mandated in Australia, but is in other countries, there's not a need to include PWS for all AU destined cars, as opposed being legally required for other regions.
Agreed - its an inconsitent approach by Tesla in Australia, if it is not mandated, why include it as a standard feature on any product.

At the end of the day, Tesla have provided an option to install the product/feature if you really want it, which is a win.